Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM

277 posts, read 797,526 times

Advertisements

I've never sold any jewelry before and I'm nervous about it.
I have some jewelry that is worth a fair amount, not scrap gold. Can anyone recommend a place - would like to hear good & bad experiences. I've seen quite a few ads in the N&O about Bailey's but I wanted to check here first before going any where. Appreciate the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
I'll do my best to give you an answer but I expect to get resounding boos from some others.

Having attempted to sell jewelry to jewelers, on consignment, on craigslist, on eBay, and using multiple other methods (work ebulletin boards, etc) the result is that you tend to lose harshly on resale. Insultingly low offers and/or appraisals. It's like trying to resell your french fries in the parking lot at McDonald's. It hurts to even try. (And I never have tried that).

Not to say you can't do it! People are looking for deals and maybe a pawn shop or consignment shop is a route to try. I would LOVE to hear how you eventually make out with this project.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Insultingly low offers and/or appraisals. It's like trying to resell your french fries in the parking lot at McDonald's. It hurts to even try. (And I never have tried that).

Not to say you can't do it! People are looking for deals and maybe a pawn shop or consignment shop is a route to try. I would LOVE to hear how you eventually make out with this project.
RESELLING FRENCH FRIES in the parking lot of McDonalds...sorry that struck me as hilarious and never a more perfect picture of my experience trying to sell my jewelry!!

I went to a pawn shop in FV with scrap and got what I thought was a fair price...from the lady of the shop. I went back a year or so later, after leaving another pawn shop where a male owner/ proprietor was busy telling me that gold was down and silver was worthless (but did I want to unload the pile of silver cheap?), only to have another male tell me that my sterling silver perfume bottle from Tiffany's was not real silver, not even .925 silver. Even though it is stamped and he never bothered to take the bottle out of the blue velvet box. So dude in the trucker cap and camo knows that Tiffany & Co., the 170 year old company that gave me a certificate of authenticity with the perfume bottle, is completely off on their estimate of silver quality. Fascinating.

So beware the morons. They are a'plenty.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 AM

I forgot, Mr. Camo also said that he "wasn't paying for diamonds" so did I want a couple of bucks for those wedding rings or what? Since they were contained in gold, all I could gather was that he thought I was going to throw away the diamonds (figuratively speaking) so he could harvest the gold.

Either way, I was still stymied on the 'it's not real silver' proclamation so I just left.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,209 times
Reseling jewelry is never worth what you think it is, or for its appraisal amount. You'll take a pretty big hit. If you are needing cash - I totally understand. However, if you just don't like the pieces any more (ex: wedding/engagement ring and now you are no longer with that person) take the ring to a custom jeweler who can use the materials to make a new piece for you.

If you go this route, I highly recommend Wade Designs in Rocky Mount. Its a family-owned business and the jeweler does esquisite hand-engraved pieces.

Other options would be Jolly's, and I'd probably go to Bailey's last.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM

102 posts, read 316,501 times
Ebay

Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
You really can never get much at all for them. There is a place in downtown Raleigh that will straight by it for more than others in the area, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. If you call around to local jewelry places more than a few recommended them to me. Consignment places will take longer, but you will get more money.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I'll do my best to give you an answer but I expect to get resounding boos from some others.

Having attempted to sell jewelry to jewelers, on consignment, on craigslist, on eBay, and using multiple other methods (work ebulletin boards, etc) the result is that you tend to lose harshly on resale. Insultingly low offers and/or appraisals. It's like trying to resell your french fries in the parking lot at McDonald's. It hurts to even try. (And I never have tried that).

So true! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM

277 posts, read 797,526 times
LOL - never tried that Eloyfan and 3Dog, sounds like Mr. Camo was a couple fries short of a Happy Meal!
I appreciate all the responses and I figured I wasn't going to be thrilled w/the news .....just hoping there *MIGHT* be somewhere honest. I did consign the wedding bands at a place in Cary (Joint Venture) for a year and a half and didn't get squat, so I went back and got it from them (had to pay $20 for that!).
Maybe I'll try Ebay & Bailey's and see what happens. I'll definitely report back

Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
Maybe I'll try Ebay & Bailey's and see what happens. I'll definitely report back

I have successfully sold bulk silver on Ebay. I sold this enormous pile of sterling bangles, silver scrap jewelry, silver plateware all to one guy...please be sure to accurately describe what you are selling, even if it sounds ridiculously over-explained. Plated, solid, whatever. Ebay's a tough nut when a buyer files a complaint -- they can end up with your stuff and their money back to boot.

Best of luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary