Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 17,799 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering buying a home listed for sale in The Park at West Lake community (Woodlands area). We LOVE the home and the everybody we have met seems very friendly (although we don't have kids yet so we might not fit in yet!).

My concern with the home is its location. I love the yard and the quietness of the neighborhood, but it seems so far away from restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc.

I work in Cary and it might take 30 minutes to get home everyday. Does that seem right?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
The Park at Westlake IS in Cary. You'll have to be more specific regarding where in Cary you work. Do you work at the Cary sewage treatment plant at the southern end of the P@WL subdivision, or one of the many warehouses north of the airport along Aviation Blvd @ I540 (yes, that is also part of Cary).

Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Parts of the Park At Westlake still has an Apex address. I know this because I have sold many homes in there and my clients have had these issues with the HOA and the Post Office! Seems everyone has a different point of view but when getting mail, only the Post Office counts!

This part of Cary is considered South Cary.

The part of Cary that is located in Morrisville is considered West Cary.

So, it does depend on where you work as to how long it will take you to get there.

There is a newer Harris Teeter about 5 min. away down Optimist Road. A few restaurants and stores are also in this shopping center.

Vicki

Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
You can get to Crossroads in under 20 minutes virtually any time of day or night.
You can get on US1 North at the Tryon Road interchange in 15 minutes.
I can drive from TPAWL to the Fresh Market in Preston in 20-25 minutes.
I can drive to downtown Raleigh via Lake Wheeler Road in 20 Minutes.
I can get to RDU in under 30 minutes.
I used to live in NW Cary (West of NC55) and I am no further away from anywhere in Cary proper than I used to be in terms of time. It's a tough RTP commute but many people do it.
And YES, despite the mailing address we are within Cary limits and have Cary services. We also have a lower tax rate than the neighborhoods surrounding us that are within Holly Springs or Fuquay limits.
If you have any questions about the neighborhood feel free to PM me.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Oh-and I'll take our water treatment plant over being in the path of future 540 ANY DAY.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Since the issues with the water treatment plant were well over a year ago, I've heard there are no issues with it anymore. Do you find that to be true?

Vicki

Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
My mentioning of the sewage treatment plant was not meant to rehash any old debates over whether you can smell it or not. . . . . . but to illustrate why the OP needed to be more specific with her "I work in Cary" statement. I was searching for an example of an employer, within the city of Cary, that was closest to that subdivision. The Cary sewage treatment plant was an obvious choice.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 AM

21 posts, read 40,417 times
I guess you might have already checked out neighborhhods/homes in other parts of Cary (closer to work) as well. 30 minutes during peak hours seems to be fair if the merits of the home & neighborhood outweigh that. About shopping, you will be surprised how soon things will pick up in all those areas.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,516 times
I live in the community next to this one, and I find that I can get to Cary Crossroads in about 15 minutes, Beaver Creek shopping (in Apex) in about 20 minutes. There is a Harris Teeter off Optimist Farm Road, as well as a Lowes and another Harris Teeter on Ten Ten and Kildaire Farm. The Holly Springs library is also a quick drive.

In the mornings, there is a bit of traffic along West Lake Road, due to the schools, but it's nothing terrible. This is a great area, with many different people, lots of kids, etc.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Since the issues with the water treatment plant were well over a year ago, I've heard there are no issues with it anymore. Do you find that to be true?

Vicki
The issues with the plant seem to have faded away after the last remediation effort.
Honestly, it's not as if the entire neighborhood was affected. Any odor I ever detected was limited to the area directly adjacent to the plant's border with the neighborhood while walking the dog. I haven't noticed anything since late 2008.
The plant was a non-issue for us based on our home's proximity to the border with the plant. There are two homes for sale that are closer to the plant than I would choose to be and it's pretty clear which homes they are. Those homes have other liabilities that are keeping them unsold as well-it's not as if any home near the plant border is a White Elephant. Plenty of those homes have sold and resold over time.
Within ANY neighborhood there are lots that are favorable and lots that are less so. I used to back up to a road that was widened from 2 lanes with a double yellow line to a 4 lane divided highway with a center turn lane. That's what made me sell my old house.
I can't see the plant from my house in TPAWL. I cant hear it or smell it either. It causes no additional traffic that I can detect. It may as well not be there at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary