Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 PM

23 posts, read 87,744 times

Advertisements

As an aspiring small business owner, I urge you to consider supporting small businesses in the triangle for all your holiday shopping treats and packages! I know that with today's economy sometimes it is not possible to consider small businesses with prices that cannot compare to the big box stores. However, there are plenty of places with comparable prices on food for lunch and dinner, your morning coffee, books, shoes and so much more. So, spread the love Raleigh-spend money wisely and when possible keep it in this economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 PM

98 posts, read 231,870 times
As a very small business (no employees other than me), thank you!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingH20 View Post
As an aspiring small business owner, I urge you to consider supporting small businesses in the triangle for all your holiday shopping treats and packages! I know that with today's economy sometimes it is not possible to consider small businesses with prices that cannot compare to the big box stores. However, there are plenty of places with comparable prices on food for lunch and dinner, your morning coffee, books, shoes and so much more. So, spread the love Raleigh-spend money wisely and when possible keep it in this economy!
Yup.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM

16 posts, read 19,243 times
If they just didnt charge 35% more than the Internet plus sales tax.............. Sorry guys....... UPS saves me gas too

Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,549 times
Western Wake farmer's market's vendors had some beautiful things out yesterday. I got some gorgeous one of a kind gifts. Oh, and a really, really good pie

Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 AM
CYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtexas2 View Post
If they just didnt charge 35% more than the Internet plus sales tax.............. Sorry guys....... UPS saves me gas too
Are you saying you don't report these internet purchases on your state tax forms- thereby illegally evading the taxes?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM

351 posts, read 770,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYB View Post
Are you saying you don't report these internet purchases on your state tax forms- thereby illegally evading the taxes?
and probably complaining about the unemployment rate in the area too

Old 11-25-2010, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 19,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYB View Post
Yup. Sue me.

On the topic too, encouraging people to buy expensive local doesnt "save our economy". It disrupts the other economy of the Internet retailers, of which there's a bunch of in this area too.

Shop for price, shop for service.

Dont forget the people that box your orders ship them out and run the warehouses and networks and online ordering systems this holiday season.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
I used to be a small business owner. When folks started coming into my shop with printed pages on internet deals, I realized the future would be very much against me. They would handle my merchandise, take my time, reap the benefits of my knowledge and experience, make up their mind, say thank you and go make their purchases on line. I could no longer afford to be a show room for internet retailers and when the wholesalers broke their promises to never sell to anybody but mortar and brick shops...well I was out of there. This was late 90's.

Now I try to shop local but I mostly shop my pocketbook like everybody else. If I do have to buy from a brick and mortar shop I try to keep my money in Chapel Hill but I sure wouldn't buy locally if the same item was cheaper on line or somewhere else. Sadly that is the reality of business and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:07 PM
CYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I used to be a small business owner. When folks started coming into my shop with printed pages on internet deals, I realized the future would be very much against me. They would handle my merchandise, take my time, reap the benefits of my knowledge and experience, make up their mind, say thank you and go make their purchases on line. I could no longer afford to be a show room for internet retailers and when the wholesalers broke their promises to never sell to anybody but mortar and brick shops...well I was out of there. This was late 90's.

Now I try to shop local but I mostly shop my pocketbook like everybody else. If I do have to buy from a brick and mortar shop I try to keep my money in Chapel Hill but I sure wouldn't buy locally if the same item was cheaper on line or somewhere else. Sadly that is the reality of business and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary