Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 14,668 times

Advertisements

We live in the South Durham area, and recently over the past year or so, our driveway has developed long (deep) cracks across the slabs, with one half of the driveway (left of the cracks) sinking relative to the other by a few inches. This seems to extend out into the garage as well, where I have noticed long running small cracks.

Has anyone experienced this kind of cracking before on a driveway? Seems to have happened in the past year or so. If so, what remedies have you pursued. I am wondering if there is some other underlying cause out there, sinkhole effect, termites, not sure what else could cause this..

Also, would you have some recommendations for a good structural engineer in the Triangle Area who can inspect this and offer some suggestions?

Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Are there large trees adjacent? It is typically caused by tree roots or another possibility, expansive clay soil (very common in the Durham area). I would recommend taking a close look for cracks around foundation of the house if there are no adjacent trees at the displaced driveway. I know a few Structural Engineers I can recommend, but maybe I can narrow down the cause before you have to spend any money.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM

There are several large trees (pines and others) in the yard, but not adjacent to the driveway - the closest one is at least 10 to 15 feet away. It is possible that the roots may have spread underneath the driveway perhaps. I did look for some cracks around the foundation, and found a small crack toward the rear of the house that I had not noticed before, on the wall, right about the ground level on the bricking.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Here is a great engineer: Splash
You can also try foundation repair companies as they staff structural engineers, and typically come out for free, but the opinion may not be unbiased as they perform repairs.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
How new is the house/driveway? Just wonder how much earth was moved/resettled under the driveway before it was laid.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Do you have indications of washout under the portions that have sunk?
Clay soils do have a nasty habit of expanding and contracting based on moisture content which could be a factor here.
Sometimes the concrete is placed over buried debris which decomposes over time and causes the ground under the concrete to drop.

A structural engineer is the way to go. Few builders/contractors pay much attention to the base under concrete which is unfortunate.

Frank

Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
You can also try foundation repair companies as they staff structural engineers, and typically come out for free, but the opinion may not be unbiased as they perform repairs.
Be VERY careful with foundation companies. Although some are licensed to practice engineering, others are not and do so unlicensed.

Always check the Professional licensing Board to verify licesnure first. You can also call and see if they have any past disciplinary actions.

https://www.membersbase.com/ncbels-v...c/searchdb.asp

Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Structural Engineer - Driveway issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
How new is the house/driveway? Just wonder how much earth was moved/resettled under the driveway before it was laid.
The house is about twenty or so years old, the problems have become more pronounced only in the last year or so. It also gets a lot of water flow, being toward the lower end of a hill.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Do you have indications of washout under the portions that have sunk?
Clay soils do have a nasty habit of expanding and contracting based on moisture content which could be a factor here.
Sometimes the concrete is placed over buried debris which decomposes over time and causes the ground under the concrete to drop.

A structural engineer is the way to go. Few builders/contractors pay much attention to the base under concrete which is unfortunate.

Frank
The house is about twenty years old, and the problems have become more pronounced in the past year. I think there is some washout underneath as the entire plot is toward the bottom of a hill, a lot of water flows through when it rains.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Thanks for the link, I will check it out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary