Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM

121 posts, read 429,835 times

Advertisements

I took the GRE ten years ago for grad school...and now I'm applying to PhD program and have to take it again because it has been more than 5 years

There are 2-3 test centers locally where I can take the GRE anytime they have available seating, and the closest center to where I live is the PROMETRIC TEST CENTER on Spring Forest Road.

If anyone has taken a test there recently, esp. the GRE, could you send me a message? I'd like to ask some questions as well as the basics (are the facilities nice, staff friendly, computers up to date, etc.).

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
I've taken parts of the CPA exam there, so I'm pretty much a regular at this point. The staff are nice and friendly, especially that guy that checks you in at the front desk (he's always there, the others are almost always different, but also pretty nice). I've never been to any other testing center, so I can't compare, but I don't have any complaints. It's not the nicest office space, but it's certainly fine for its purpose (and who really cares about the decor). They have free lockers to securely store your personal items. I've never had check-in take more than 5 minutes, even on a busy day/time. ID requirements are specific to each type of test, but they always know what you need and what you can have for testing materials, and have everything readily available. Very efficient; no stress. You sign in, give a fingerprint scan, and a picture each time. They give you tissues and pencils and papter and anything like that you might need. The CPA exam doesn't allow a calculator, so you'd have to find out about that if you need one. They have two test rooms, each with about 14 to 16 testing cubicles (I've never actually counted, but I was there last week and that sounds about right). The computers are not state of the art, but they are certainly functional. You get a wired keyboard and mouse, which I've never had any problems with. The monitors are fairly new, so the screens are very clear (no old tube monitors). They keep the temperatures in the rooms very reasonable (I've never been chilly or hot) and keep a steady stream of fresh air (which is very important in those little rooms). The chairs are comfortable and wheeled. They offer ear phones to block out noise. They're not Bose, but they're functional.

If you need to take a break (assuming your test allows it), they are very efficient at getting you checked in and out, so that you don't waste any test time. You sign the book and scan your fingerprint. Very quick.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM

That's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you so much for the info.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
I was just there last monday. Everything is A+. My only gripe is that the proctor walks in the room and does a quick lap to see if anyone is cheating. happens about every 15 minutes.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM

45 posts, read 141,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I was just there last monday. Everything is A+. My only gripe is that the proctor walks in the room and does a quick lap to see if anyone is cheating. happens about every 15 minutes.

The place I took the GRE a few years back had cameras and high power microphones pointing at you while you took the test so they didn't have to walk in.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Default Probably not worried about cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I've done a little test proctoring in my day. They are probably required to take a lap, but are less likely to find cheating than EATING!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Ravin View Post
The place I took the GRE a few years back had cameras and high power microphones pointing at you while you took the test so they didn't have to walk in.
yes they had cameras as well. with the video feed in the lobby.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirlRaleigh View Post
I took the GRE ten years ago for grad school...and now I'm applying to PhD program and have to take it again because it has been more than 5 years

There are 2-3 test centers locally where I can take the GRE anytime they have available seating, and the closest center to where I live is the PROMETRIC TEST CENTER on Spring Forest Road.

If anyone has taken a test there recently, esp. the GRE, could you send me a message? I'd like to ask some questions as well as the basics (are the facilities nice, staff friendly, computers up to date, etc.).

Thanks!!
Are you applying to NC State? I have the same issue with the GRE for a PhD program I want to pursue. I took the GRE 20 years ago and the LSAT 17 years ago. Even with a JD (which is a terminal degree), they still want the GRE!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
Are you applying to NC State? I have the same issue with the GRE for a PhD program I want to pursue. I took the GRE 20 years ago and the LSAT 17 years ago. Even with a JD (which is a terminal degree), they still want the GRE!!!
Yes, it is annoying because I have been fully employed in my profession for nearly 15 years, have had my masters since 2003, and could provide a hundred references to my abilities if all the other documentation and evidence weren't enough.

The test costs 160 dollars...and takes 4 hours. There's no way I can sit it "cold" and do well on the math portion, so I'll need to study like a mad woman over the holiday break in hopes that these scores don't make me look like a zombie

I am submitting my app for the Feb 1 deadline so will have to take the test in the next month to get the results in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary