Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 22,812 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - I have the option to take my driving test in Raleigh (close to Capital blvd) or Charlotte (28262 zip code). I know dmv's are generally a pain, but I figured one location must be better than the other. I know Charlotte is notorious for non-chalant + mean employees and long waits, but I'm not sure about Raleigh. Any suggestions or thoughts on driving tests/dmv's in both areas will be soooooo appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by larahoney2002; 10-07-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:31 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
It's a breeze - they don't even make you parallel park. Go to the one nearest where you live. If in Raleigh go to the one off Gorman, you don't have to go to the one on Capital Blvd. They are always nice and not overly crowded.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I went to the one on Gorman (or is it Avent Ferry?) when I moved here and they were awesome. Granted I didn't have to do the driving test, but they were fast, not too busy, and kind.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Why limit it to those two? Go to a much smaller place like Goldsboro or Kinston (I renewed a license in Kinston once, and just walked straight in, NO wait--they actually seemed excited to have something to do!). You can't predict what kind of instructor you'll get in any case, so just prepare to do well "by the book" (it's not hard) and go for somewhere there's a shorter line. They'll be in a better mood, I suspect.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
I've heard Fayetteville is a good place to go. They are very nice and not that crowded.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks soooooo much for the awesome replies! Seems Raleigh is winning. Does anyone have any insight on Charlotte? More importantly, can anyone please list what you get tested on (I read somewhere that you get tested on 13 skills)? I want to make sure I'm doing all these things by the book. I know a few, but not all...
*Car familiarity - doing basic things: adjusting mirrors, seat belts etc
*Three point turn
*Reversing
*Obeying traffic signs
*Proper application of brakes
*Driving w/ a care for pedestrians...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
Larahoney2002, I would imagine all that can be found in the book you get from the dmv, or in driver's ed if you took that. Again, I didn't take mine in this state, but I would add parallel parking to the list. Also, I had to park as if I was overnight parking on a neighborhood street, so I had to know which way to turn my tires, etc.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Larahoney2002, I would imagine all that can be found in the book you get from the dmv, or in driver's ed if you took that. Again, I didn't take mine in this state, but I would add parallel parking to the list. Also, I had to park as if I was overnight parking on a neighborhood street, so I had to know which way to turn my tires, etc.
I never had to do either of those. But I haven't taken the test in 13 years and maybe the test is different if you are doing city driving vs. rural. I did mine in Hillsborough. Too easy.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
NC's does not require even parallel parking, let alone "turning your tires" properly <!>. That sounds like a big urban city's rules. I've been driving for 30 years and not once been told "how to turn my tires"!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks all!
~I really appreciate all the insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary