Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaMow View Post
I got a job offer today from a business peer. He operates in The Triangle Area (RTP) .

Well here is my question. I am married, 46 years old, with a boy 10, and a girl 6. I live in NE Ohio, have all my life. Things are not going well here. A lot of closings and not much new opportunity. I own my own Lawn & Landscaping Company, but things are not as good as I want. Well he offers me a position in management, good salary and perks.

I am afraid to make the move. The only thing that I can think of that would suck is moving away from parents and brothers, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc....

I know my deciding factor has to be what is best for my children. I think that a move to Raleigh would be positive in many ways.

Why am I so scared?
It is scary coming down here. We moved from Port Clinton (the island area) several years ago. It was very stressful..and my poor husband...he second guessed himself a thousand times.

Guess what? We didn't move back when we had the chance (another job offer).

It's not perfect down here....very nice, can't beat the winters, close to the ocean...but it's different then Ohio and some things take some getting used to doing it the NC way. (Miss the music scene in Cleveland...and the Indains.)....but the oppertunites are great down here.

Look at things with open eyes....figure out what you really want out of life and for your kids (my daughter is thriving down here) and you'll make the right choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
We transplanted here from Ohio in 1976. We love it here and would do it all over again. All of my family lives in NE Ohio and it was difficult but it was the best thing for our children. You will be surprised at how many people live in the Triangle area from Ohio! Good luck with your new job!

Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,735 times
We moved down from PA 10 years ago. Although I still miss family like CRAZY it has been the best move for our family. We are better off than we ever would have been if we had stayed in PA. We are committed to making the drive 2x a year and our family comes down at least that much so we still see them. Who knows maybe some of them will follow you down! I say go for it. You can always move back if it doesn't work out.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,243 times
Also, know that your type of work is plentiful here. If things don't work out with this guy when you get here you can always restart your own business. As long as you do good work you should not have much problem building a business here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary