Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 41,887 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I visited the Triangle area last week and loved it! I hoped to find a house that week, but it was all too overwhelming for me.

So I have decided to move, rent and then buy. I'm hoping someone who has previously moved from the SF Bay Area to NC can help me with some of the questions that have come up now:

- reputable moving companies?
- general idea of cost for 1 bedroom move in Sept 2007?
- best apartment complexes with:
ST lease, W/D in unit, microwave & elevator in Cary/Morrisville/Brier Creek.
- Any tips for my cross country drive via I-40 (with 3 non-car friendly cats)

Thanks!

anita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Interstate moving is very risky now since the ICC was dismantled.

1. DO NOT look for low price moving quotes on the web. These are brokers
2. Get a guaranteed estimate from a major mover
3. Take full replacement insurance
4. Consider donating stuff if the moving cost exceeds its value
5. Use apartmentratings.com to check out apts
6. Two Men & A Truck is great for local moves

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 AM

548 posts, read 2,648,160 times
Tell your vet you're driving x-country and get some medication from him/her to calm your cats. They'll sleep a lot of the way and be really relaxed when they're up.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 41,887 times
Thank you Saturnfan and MaimounaKande for your suggestions! It helps!

anita

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM

108 posts, read 397,374 times
My husband, mom, and I just moved from Fremont two weeks ago. We used ABF, which offers truck space or cube space. We did the cubes, packed up our stuff and they came and picked up the cubes and transported them cross country for us. It worked really well and was an inexpensive way to go about it ($2621 for two 8'X7'X6' cubes). We found our apartment complex (which we love, PM me and I'll tell you what it is) on apartmentratings.com and did EVERYTHING over the phone. Once we got here, we walked in, got our keys, and moved in. We just bought an air mattress to sleep on for the week and a half or so that we were without our stuff. We drove, because we have a sick kitty (he has heart disease and was in extreme danger of having a heart attack). So, we rented an RV from Cruiseamerica.com It was pricey, $2068 for 5 days, but our boy was worth it and made the trip just fine. I also highly highly HIGHLY suggest a product you can get at Petsmart called "Comfort Zone." It is a spray that mimicks cat's facial pheremones that they use to mark things (when they rub their chin on things) to identify what is their own. We got our boy a soft-sided, dark inside, carrier and sprayed the inside of it before we even left and he was purring away in there. We sprayed the inside of the RV and he came out of his carrier while we were driving to explore, use his litterbox, even play with his sister (our Maltese). One bottle should be able to last you the whole trip and give you a few squirts for a closet or some small space to put them in when you get into your apartment. We also shipped our cars by "First-call auto haul" (ask them to use Johnson's trucking). Our 2007 car made it here without a scratch and faster than our furniture. Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
If you need a good cat vet, Try Dr. Jon at Magnolia Animal Hospital on Capital Blvd. He and his wife own 11 cats and a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary