Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 PM

13 posts, read 23,632 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I will be relocating to the area in the spring. We're setting up appointments to interview realtors and will certainly be seeking our realtor's guidance on this question, but thought it might also be worthwhile to get the input of others who know the area.

We are trying to determine which towns we should focus on in our search for a new home. Our criterion is listed below. One of the biggest factors for us is commute distance. My husband will be working on TW Alexander Drive in RTP and would prefer to have the shortest commute possible while still finding a home that meets our criteria. It is important to note that he tends to commute on "off hours" - leaving for work very early in the morning (before 7am) and either coming home early or late. I don't have a job yet and won't be looking for one until we are settled in the area. I work in the hospital setting and would prefer to live in a location that is accessible to the area's hospitals so I have options open when I try to find a job.

Price range is ~400-550K
• New/newer construction or a remodeled and updated home
• If in a developed neighborhood, houses with larger yards and not packed too closely together, multiple floor plans and home designs in the community (not the same 5 houses built over and over)
• Friendly, established, welcoming area in a community with a strong community feel, family friendly (no kids yet but we are planning to start a family soon)
• Open to living in a nicely developed area that is more rural rather than a “subdivision”
• Highly rated school system (test scores/formal rankings and area reputation)
• No more than 30 minute commute to RTP, easily accessible traffic routes with a minimum of congestion
• Accessible to grocery, shopping, dining, etc but not close to a busy road that would create audible road noise
• Home with good potential for resale (desirable neighborhood, price point, etc)

Recommendations on towns and neighborhoods within those towns to consider would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading this post and for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
Default CA to NC

Cary NC would be my recommendation.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM

21 posts, read 40,474 times
West Cary may be your first choice where we can easily find many homes/neighborhoods that match your criteria. Could also consider Morrisville & Central Cary. Some of the neighborhoods you could consider will be Weldon Ridge by Orleans, Greystone by M/I homes, Horton Creek by Baker Residential, Weycroft (multiple custom builders), Green Level Crossings by Toll Brothers, Coles Creek by Drees Homes, Weston Manor (custom) & Cary Park (re-sale only).

Last edited by Joemat247; 12-13-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM

43,366 posts, read 77,271,918 times
If the OP would consider 10-15 year old homes, I would suggest also considering Preston neighborhoods, particularly from the perspective of lot size and resale.
You may have to do some updating yourself, but even at that, it is likely you can stay within your budget. And you can probably avoid the cookie cutter. Preston is a very well-established community.
Mature Landscaping, no new construction, better lot sizes than .17 acres in many NW Cary subdivisions, Prestonwood CC amenities optional, tons of retail and services surrounding Preston.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 23,632 times
Thank you everyone for the info...most helpful. Cary seems like an obvious choice from a geographical standpoint. Are there any other towns besides Cary to consider?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM

413 posts, read 1,256,637 times
While the OP doesn't currently have children, and won't have kids in a school system for many years, given some of the issues Wake Co has had (and continues to have), I would avoid anywhere in Wake. While things may settle down tremendously over the course of the next few years, the situation is ripe for lawsuits, etc which will become a burden on the school system and have impacts beyond the next couple of years (not to mention the economic/cut back climate). That said, I also noted with interest you were looking for "Open to living in a nicely developed area that is more rural rather than a “subdivision”
I wouldn't personally consider Cary "rural" but definitely more rife with subdivisions. (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, just imho).
I also noted that the OP may be interested in having access to hospitals/medical facilities (for when you do go back to work/explore options). While Wake Co has a couple of fine hospitals (Wake Med and Rex), Durham has become known as a "Medical City". Between Durham and Chapel Hill, there are 3 top notch hospitals, and numerous medical facilites. Chapel Hill would also fit your requirements for schools (and smaller schools system = less reassignment), close proximity to TW Alexander (about 25 minutes to RTP)...easy access to both I-40, I-85, Hwy 54 and 15-501. Parts of Chapel Hill AND Carrboro (not in the per se "city limits but within the school system) are quite rural with smaller subdivisions. Prices would be in your range too.
Good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,668,873 times
Perhaps Apex would work. It is a little more "rural" but depending on where in Apex a little farther out too. Would fit the bill otherwise.

I'd also look into N. Raleigh. I would focus on the West side for commuting purposes - would be right at 30 min.. Lots are larger and depending on which way you travel to RTP, can be scenic as well.

Last edited by Janecj; 12-14-2010 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM

189 posts, read 508,314 times
Brier creek country club is closest to TW Alexander Dr and most of RTP, and convenient to Duke or UNC hospitals. The homes are within your price range and less than 10 yrs or you can even get new construction. It is close to shopping and under Wake County schools and good resale potential. But it is a Toll Bros neighborhood so it is neither 'rural' or has 'unique' home plans.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,820,182 times
"If in a developed neighborhood, houses with larger yards and not packed too closely together"

This is not NW Cary, especially at the $400-$550K price point. There is virtually nothing larger than a .25 acre lot size without spending more money.

Given the off-hours commute situation and with the current construction of the Western leg of 540, I would include Holly Springs in the search. There is also a small section of SE Cary that might apply (Middle Creek High area).

Neighborhoods to Target-
Sunset Ridge
Sunset Oaks
Woodcreek
Wescott
Jamison Park
Park at West Lake

You would need to be careful about proximity to the nextsection of 540 (not yet under construction) when choosing a lot in Woodcreek or a resale home in Jamison Park.

Any of these fit the criteria better than most of the offerings in NW Cary at your price point.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM

305 posts, read 762,479 times
South Durham is certainly convenient to TW Alexander (10 min commute?). Just as a starting point, check out the Hills at Souhtpoint development (Toll Bros.) Meets pretty much all of your standards, though definitely a development, not rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary