Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM

709 posts, read 934,960 times

Advertisements

Many of us have relocated to this area from other parts of the country and many are also used to long commutes, by car.well i would suggest that you move to a place near your new job. Seriously gasoline is going to be an issue sooner than later. heck as soon as this fall if a big hurricane sweeps thru the gulf or an attack on Iran ocurs. 4 ,5 dollar a gallon gasoline IF you can get it??

I may sound doom and gloom but if you are picking up stakes from another part of the country understand there is NO Mass transportation down here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Very good thought. I live 5 minutes from work.

I look daily at the folks stuck in Capital Blvd traffic to Wake Forest. They couldn't afford Raleigh homes so moved further out. Guess what they save in gas & car upkeep?

I couldn't afford to buy either - so I rent. While they're stuck in traffic, I'm relaxing with a good workout in our gym.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I can't bear a long commute so I will definitely be living close to my job (once I'm no longer working from home)!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Yeah..I pondered that. I was living in Raleigh, working in Durham (outskirts of RTP) When I started house shopping, I had to think, "Will I stay at my job for a few more years?" Since I seem to be the Queen of Layoffs, I thought I would take a chance. I moved to Clayton and let me tell you..I ENJOY the commute! It's my down time to listen to the music I want to hear before I pick up the kid, go home to tend to the animals and do the daily chores around the house.

Its my break. I enjoy it.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Very good thought. I live 5 minutes from work.

I look daily at the folks stuck in Capital Blvd traffic to Wake Forest. They couldn't afford Raleigh homes so moved further out. Guess what they save in gas & car upkeep?

I couldn't afford to buy either - so I rent. While they're stuck in traffic, I'm relaxing with a good workout in our gym.
Do not forget, some choose to live away from the city limits. It's not just affordability.
Just something to keep in mind,

Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Many of us have relocated to this area from other parts of the country and many are also used to long commutes, by car.well i would suggest that you move to a place near your new job. Seriously gasoline is going to be an issue sooner than later. heck as soon as this fall if a big hurricane sweeps thru the gulf or an attack on Iran ocurs. 4 ,5 dollar a gallon gasoline IF you can get it??

I may sound doom and gloom but if you are picking up stakes from another part of the country understand there is NO Mass transportation down here!
Then you have those of use that have had to find new jobs since moving down here. You don't seriously think we should sell our home do you?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM

709 posts, read 934,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Then you have those of use that have had to find new jobs since moving down here. You don't seriously think we should sell our home do you?

You moved here without a job? Why?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,538 times
Quote:

didnt you post this very same thing a few months ago? why are your posts always like "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!". Are you always this negative ?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
You moved here without a job? Why?
No, we moved here for our jobs. (My husband and I worked for the same company.)

The company went bankrupt three years later. We had job offers around the country, but prefered to stay in this area and find employement here, which we did in short order.

However, I am not moving my home just because I had to find a new job no matter how much we would both love a shorter commute.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
As well as those who change jobs once you are already here. While I agree in principle that living close to where you work is a "good thing", it just isn't always possible to do that for many reasons. And, as Desdemona123 says, selling you home when you change jobs just isn't a realistic option for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary