Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM

8 posts, read 25,265 times

Advertisements

I am tentatively going to be relocating from Westport, CT to NC to work in Cary. Real estate pricing is ridiculous here so our house would probably sell for well north of a $million. I've tried to read about all the different areas, etc... but can't really get a feel. We're a pretty big family (4 kids ages 2 - 8) and are definitely looking for a family oriented area. Feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:04 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
Cary. We live 1.5 miles from my husband's work and that has been the best decision we could have possibly made. (I work from home and a little bit from an office in North Raleigh). With young kids it makes all the difference (ours are 2 and 3 1/2); he can come home from work for lunch and for emergencies. Many people will tell you that the roads in this area are not keeping up with growth; if you live close enough to work it is a non-issue.

Cary is very family-oriented. There is a whole thread on likes and dislikes on Cary, and I agree with many of the pros and cons. //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ike-about.html I grew up in the Triangle and if traffic had been a non-issue we would have lived in Durham or Chapel Hill, but for our present needs living close to work is the way to go.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
You are better off living near your job if you can afford it. That really goes anywhere, regardless of traffic. The traffic is there because people do not live close to their jobs.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM

23 posts, read 80,669 times
My folks relocated here from Westport a few years ago, I think you would enjoy the areas of Preston, so I would maybe start there.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM

105 posts, read 391,315 times
Definately Cary! Everything you need is right there...shopping and dining galore, great schools, lots to do, etc. Always makes the 'best place' lists near the top. If I were working there and cost wasn't an issue, I'd live there. If it is too expensive, I'd suggest Apex.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:28 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
McGregor West or McGregor Downs in Cary.
Lochmere
Regency
Wessex

Another favorite area of mine is Olde Raleigh, around Ebenezer Church Road and Duraleigh Road. Many offerings of moderate to higher-end homes.
Spend $250,000 or $2,500,000. Or any amount in between.

Easy access to most points in the Raleigh area: RDU, I-40, I-440, Crabtree Valley, Rex, Downtown Raleigh, and shopping in Cary.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
No question about it. Cary.

We lived in Morrisville for 11 months and would frequently take walks in the Cary neighborhoods and greenways. For out budget, we would have had to settle for a 20 year old house on a 1/4 acre lot, which we weren't able to come to grips with. With your budget, you'll be able to buy a beautiful house, pay for your kids college education, and pad your own retirement account. . . . Not a bad situation to be in.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,418 times
Like so many others, I believe you should try to live within a few miles of work whenever possible, so I would probably say Cary. Or I might possibly choose Raleigh inside-the-beltline (but that's because I really like the older neighborhoods there!). The only thing that might be a concern is the year-round school situation in Wake County's elementary schools. Do a little homework on that. Some people are comfortable with it and some aren't. You just have to decide for yourself. Best of luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:29 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,371 times
I grew up in Wilton and moved to Cary last year. Our family loves it here. We live by Preston and really like this area because everything is close by. Depending on what size lot you currently live on, you might have a hard time adjusting to the small lots typically found in Cary. A quarter acre seems pretty standard and in our neighborhood they are building almost 6000 square foot houses on .2 acres.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM

285 posts, read 1,039,837 times
If money is no issue, I'd definitely say Cary. In general, I think quality of life improves greatly when you live near your workplace. Or, you might want to check out some of the Raleigh neighborhoods inside the beltline if you like older homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary