Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 04:21 PM

7 posts, read 15,553 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, we live in MA. My wife might have a great opportunity in her company but it would involve a move to the office in Farmville.

I am in IT, specifically network security. I've been looking around and don't see much in Farmville or Greenville, but there seems to be work in Raleigh.

I'm looking for a town between Farmville and Raleigh where houses are say $225k-300k, we currently have 2 acres, 2000 sq feet, and most importantly we live in a town where we can park a travel trailer at our house, have a dog and a satellite dish and not have any complaints so I'd be looking for the same. I guess this excludes most subdivisions.

My son plays hockey and I coach. My daughter does dance. I was a huge Whalers fan before they moved, so the idea of watching the Hurricanes is pretty cool, they even have the same coach who coached the Whalers (Paul Maurice), so a place that has these activities will be a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Your choices form closest to Farmville, to furthest is Wilson (30 min), Zebulon (45 Min), or Knightdale (1hr). All of these are along US 264.

Knightdale literally runs into Raleigh, it's about 15 min from downtown. Zebulon about 25-30 min from downtown. And Wilson is about 45 from downtown Raleigh. These are the only 3 locations large enough to have a Walmart between Raleigh and Farmville.

Just b/c you see more job opportunities in Raleigh, what you don't see is the competition. The Triangle has one of the highest unemployed and underemployed area for people with college degrees. There are way more competition for tech jobs there. You could be one of a few hundred applicants in Raleigh versus one of not even a hundred in Greenville.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I was wondering how a terrible facebook app was relevant to Raleigh.... it makes sense now .

Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I was wondering how a terrible facebook app was relevant to Raleigh.... it makes sense now .
Me too!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM

118 posts, read 345,435 times
Ha! Funny. I was thinking of Farmville, VA and thinking that was going to be one heck of a commute. I had no idea that there was a Farmville in NC too.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 15,553 times
Thanks macjr82, so basically you are saying don't count out Greenville? This would suit my wife just fine because the closer to the coast the better and I guess I'd have to agree.

We have been looking at Wilson just because of the location on the map, how is Wilson?

Also, if it helps any we live in a town with 2000 people right now, the nearest walmart is 30 minutes away.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Wilson is not that bad, but a step down from it's alternatives, IMO. It has it's good areas, it the capital of NC BBQ. It's convenient to I-95. I'd still live in Greenville or Zebulon before Wilson, but if I had a job in Wilson I'd stay there before I'd commute. You aren't as close to the beach as you think in Greenville. The closest beach is Atlantic Beach which is still about 1.75 hours away adn you are about 2 hours away from the outer banks. In Wilson you'd be about 2hours from Wrightsville Beach or Atlantic Beach. I'd recommend creating a thread on the coastal forum asking about Greenville and Wilson. There are alot of dedicated posters there from Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary