Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
How can anyone think this will good for the triangle. It may be a smart business decision and even good for certain people but no way is it good for the area at large.
I thought Wells-Fargo buying Wachovia would hurt Charlotte...honestly you can't tell the difference in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
I have experience probably 6-10 mergers in my short tenure in IT, and it usually take 1-2 years to play out, but the old location was always downsized significantly.

It's never good no matter how much the try to rationalize it.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

142 posts, read 283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I thought Wells-Fargo buying Wachovia would hurt Charlotte...honestly you can't tell the difference in Charlotte.

I see your point but I think that situation might be a little different because Charlotte could weather that loss better than Raleigh can weather the loss of Progress. Charlotte has large many banks and finance companies. Raleigh cannot easily replace Progress Energy.

It's really a load of bulls***.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:20 AM

84 posts, read 159,153 times
Saw this headline yesterday and it make me think of this thread. And this is only the beginning...the merger isn't even completed yet.

Duke Energy wants 17 percent increase on NC homes :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/business/story/9809231/ - broken link)

Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
So, they are running them as "two separate companies" and this is for Duke energy only. So I guess it's a huge coincidence that if this is approved that Duke rates will be about the same as current Progress Energy rates. I guess they figure if there is no rate disparity when this thing actually closes then people won't be clamoring for a reduction for Progress' rates at that time.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
So they're abandoning our city, raising our rates, and they argue the government needs to support their monopoly on the energy industry instead of letting renewable energy startups compete. Yeah, that seems fair. Good job, government.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 AM

142 posts, read 283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
So they're abandoning our city, raising our rates, and they argue the government needs to support their monopoly on the energy industry instead of letting renewable energy startups compete. Yeah, that seems fair. Good job, government.
Yes, exactly this. I can't believe this merger even got approved. And I'm not really certain who's at fault here because I'm not sure how much influence city leaders had on the matter since it's a business merger that didn't necessarily involve the city, but it seems like there should be something that someone could do.

Raleigh has been robbed of its only Fortune 500 company, a major downtown contributor, and only to boost Charlotte's image, income, and ability to hike up rates AND crush any competition and the ones who pay for all this to happen will be us, the customers.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
We can all switch to solar power out of spite, I guess...

Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM

379 posts, read 959,533 times
Certainly has some wondering about those "incentives" (Rebates)
they were giving out for you to convert your home from oil heat to electric or gas???

Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Default So what did happen with the 'new' Duke Energy?

Look's like duplicity by Jim Rogers, who 20 minutes after the merger of Duke and Progress Energy, forced Bill Johnston the CEO of the merged company to resign. What does it mean for us as consumers? can such a Board of Directors be trusted to deliver on any of the commitments they made during the regulatory approval process? Mind you with a severance package of $43.7m for Bill Johnson there is not much sympathy for him, just the trust issue regarding such a major utility that affects all of our pocketbooks as consumers.

Even more interesting was the sidebar article in the N&O about the vacancies on the Utilities Commission. So with Pat McCrory as the potential next Governor, and he having worked for Duke Energy for 30 years until 2008, it looks like it's a shoe-in for Duke Energy 'friendly' commissioners that will roll over and give them a free ride in screwing us consumers

CHANGES MAY BE AHEAD FOR UTILITIES COMMISSION
The seven-member N.C. Utilities Commission could undergo a personnel shakeup after the election of the state’s next governor this fall.
The regulatory panel, whose members are appointed by the governor, will have three vacancies for the new governor to fill, giving the winning candidate an immediate and lasting imprint on the state’s energy policy.
Republican candidate Pat McCrory spent nearly three decades in a career at Duke Energy until he left the company in 2008.
The commission is one of the state’s most influential boards, reviewing rate increase requests for electric utilities, natural gas utilities, private water companies, moving companies and ferry services.
The panel has one vacancy that has been open all year. The legislature has refused to take up Gov. Bev Perdue’s nomination, assuring that the slot will be filled by the next governor.
Two more commissioners’ terms expire June 30, 2013, creating additional vacancies that will need to be filled. The next vacancies open up in 2015.
The commissioners are currently serving eight-year terms, but the legislature last year shortened their tenures to six years per term, with possible reappointments.
Commissioners are paid an annual salary of $123,198.20. The commission chairman is paid $137,203.19 a year.

Read more here: NC attorney general, utilities commission to investigate Duke Energy - News - NewsObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary