Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:02 AM

37 posts, read 167,274 times

Advertisements

My husband I drove around Cary two weekends ago on Friday night and Satuday afternoon........and though what the heck where are all the people????? Where are the traffic jams? Where are the booming restaurants? Where are people walking around the street and "bumping" into each other? Did something happen two weekends ago that everyone left? hat are you guys talking about? WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE? We were driving in the area where there is a statues of a little boy holding the paper????? Can some one clarify?

Keep in mInd my husband grew up in Cambridge, MA and I in NYC. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 10:21 AM

180 posts, read 733,811 times
Guateek, I Pm'ed you

Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Where exactly in Cary (street/road/etc?) Not sure why you were expecting traffic congestion on Friday night. Saturday afternoon I'd guess everyone was at the mall so you probably missed it As far as "people walking around the street and bumping into each other", well, there's little to none sidewalks so you won't see much of that in Cary.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 AM

110 posts, read 394,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guateek View Post
My husband I drove around Cary two weekends ago on Friday night and Satuday afternoon........and though what the heck where are all the people????? Where are the traffic jams? Where are the booming restaurants? Where are people walking around the street and "bumping" into each other? Did something happen two weekends ago that everyone left? hat are you guys talking about? WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE? We were driving in the area where there is a statues of a little boy holding the paper????? Can some one clarify?

Keep in mInd my husband grew up in Cambridge, MA and I in NYC. thanks

Though I dont live in Cary, I can tell you were obviously wrong to assume you could compare NYC on a weekend to anything thats outside NYC. Im not too sure what your getting at....

Are you being sarcastic that NY traffic is way worse than NC?

Or are were you told that Cary is comparable to Times Square and were disappointed in the lack of restraunts?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:08 PM

24 posts, read 73,610 times
Default traffic/congestion in Cary?

Wow, some people sure can be quick to jump down people's throats on here. I could be wrong but I don't think the original person was trying to compare Cary to NYC, just trying to give us a point of reference for the question. Based on some of this forum's threads, the traffic was better than expected in Cary - that's a good thing!

I think the original poster was just wondering about traffic and the crowded-ness of Cary, and I can understand where they are coming from with this question. I too am moving from a large urban area. I don't expect traffic to be as bad in NC as where I'm coming from, but some of the threads make it seem like traffic is horrendous. So, I think the original poster, and me, are just wondering where are the congested parts of Cary. Altho I'm not living there yet, I drove around the area quite a bit on my visits, at rush hour too, and I didn't see anything that I'd consider to be bad or even mild traffic. So, locals, I'm just trying to find out which roads you'd avoid during "rush hour" and what hours encompass "rush hour" in the area. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM

Thank you Bookworm! That is exactly what I was trying to get at. Obviously no place in the world can compare to NYC. But really when I drove through Cary it was what I consider empty. I guess from all the posts here I was expecting to see people walking around their "centre area" shops open for business and people sitting at cafe's and a line a traffic on the main street. ( which by the way I wold have liked to see!) But I did not see that. To me it looked "empty". There was no traffic jams ( atleast what I consider traffic) So again my post is really from one NE to another NE, the traffic is NOT bad at all really anywhere that I saw. If you are from Boston nothing can compare to the Big Dig traffic and 93 and if you are from NYC it is pickles compared to Washington Bridge or Chinatown Traffic on a Friday afternoon or any noon!

Ps I loved NC and I adore my home town of NYC! Both very different but both fantastic!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Friday night and Saturday afternoon? Well of course no congestion in Cary at those times. They all gone to downtown Raleigh to find something to do.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:14 PM

HA HA HA I LOVE IT! That is why we are moving to downtown raleigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Friday night and Saturday afternoon? Well of course no congestion in Cary at those times. They all gone to downtown Raleigh to find something to do.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Cary people are not out on Friday and Saturday nights...they are in the restaurants and in the neighbor's back yard, grilling out the steaks. Silly. The traffic only comes on Friday afternoon at 5, when everyone gets off work early to see who can get home the fastest to mow their grass!!! Vicki

Old 08-21-2006, 03:02 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Actually I think that outside of some of the truly major urban centers (NY, LA, Chicago, Boston etc.) you just aren't ever going to see hoards of people outside walking around on the streets. For the most part we are an automobile society so if people aren't in their homes or at work they are in their cars driving somewhere. Guateek could sit at an intersection for seven straight days and never see any real foot traffic. Other than people who are walking for exercise, the most pedestrain traffic you'll see is on college campuses or mall parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary