Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 PM

84 posts, read 166,984 times

Advertisements

He didnt ask me to help him, I offered my assistance since I plan to move as well. Plus, we are both looking at different locales, and we will pool our data after some research.

I am concerned about public transport because I am the one who will be using it. Is the Raleigh/Cary/CH area such that a car is very necessary?

Yes, we hope to visit in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM

I'm getting mixed reviews from the different threads about the friendliness of the people in the area.

One thing I will say is that in Miami people approached without reservation. They were quite friendly (with me atleast) and started talking to me out-of-the-blue. However in Ohio its been the opposite. They seem to avoid eye-contact(although very few have approached and said something). I have lived in different cities and for me atleast, Miami was the friendliest. What's been your experience regarding this?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
[quote=AsianGal;17432980]I'm getting mixed reviews from the different threads about the friendliness of the people in the area.

That is because there are friendly and not so friendly people everywhere.
Also people perceive things differently.

Bus service in Chapel Hill is free.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
You absolutely need a car in this area. Those who don't own a car generally don't opt out of having one as a choice. I didn't have a car when I first moved here and it was HARD. I had to adjust my life around where buses could and could not go which was most difficult for choosing access to quality health care. Navigating the different bus lines and times was a harrowing and time consuming process (a trip one way could easily be up to three hours). Each city has their own bus lines as opposed to other urban areas served by a larger system.

I've found the people to be very friendly in this area. I get this laid back vibe when I'm out that was totally foreign to me. It was a culture shock to me coming from unfriendly NJ. It took me some time to break down that invisible wall I put up around myself and kids. People do strike up conversations with me out in public on a regular basis. Considering my appearance (I wear niqab), I didn't expect people to be nice.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
You absolutely need a car in this area. Those who don't own a car generally don't opt out of having one as a choice. I didn't have a car when I first moved here and it was HARD. I had to adjust my life around where buses could and could not go which was most difficult for choosing access to quality health care. Navigating the different bus lines and times was a harrowing and time consuming process (a trip one way could easily be up to three hours). Each city has their own bus lines as opposed to other urban areas served by a larger system.

I've found the people to be very friendly in this area. I get this laid back vibe when I'm out that was totally foreign to me. It was a culture shock to me coming from unfriendly NJ. It took me some time to break down that invisible wall I put up around myself and kids. People do strike up conversations with me out in public on a regular basis. Considering my appearance (I wear niqab), I didn't expect people to be nice.
OP- I am not originally from this country, I was warmly welcomed in the triangle and wherever in the US I've been. I consider it a two-way street, it often only requires starting up a conversation. Mia - I think you are American born - right? So I am surprised you were surprised, coming from NJ, at how open people are here

As for where to live, The new subdivisions here have lots of newer residents. Based on what I've read on CD, folks seems very welcoming of each other. many subdivisions have events for getting to know your neighbors. With you being single, you may prefer to rent a place so you don't have to deal with repairs. Or, buy a condo or similar. I'd expect this may make it more difficult to get to know neighbors unless you live in a subdiv with homes and condos. If you've lived in Miami, you'll find our weather a refreshing change, although similar in the summer, only shorter summers. I think you will be surprised at what we have here. You will need a car though.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM

no kudzu, thats a nice bonus.

mia, one of the concerns I had was that I cover my hair and was wondering how that will be received in the area so its good to know that people are friendly with you despite your niqab.

Raleigh, I suppose since I cant get a car anytime soon I will have to live near the hospital or get bro to drop me off at work which will be very inconvenient for him so it looks like living near the hospital is the most ideal solution in my case. Where I live currently, its simply not safe to live near the hospitals so that will be a concern. However I think Raleigh area is probably safer overall compared to the hospital region here. I think I will rent there. Either an apartment (no idea what rents are like there) or a share situation where I get my own room/bath. Could always live with family as a backup. They will be buying a house.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Mia - I think you are American born - right? So I am surprised you were surprised, coming from NJ, at how open people are here

LOL, yeah, I'm from America, but if I were to beam you into my old neighborhood, you'd know exactly what I mean without much time to come to that conclusion. If you look at somebody wrong, you might get cursed out, literally (happened to dh). Striking up a conversation was almost non-existent. Everybody does their own thing and if you were to try to talk to someone you don't know even about something as innocent as the weather, they will look give you that "WTH is your problem?" look.

Coming from this type of environment, it was hard for me to adjust to smiles and kind words from strangers.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Does anyone know where I can find photos of the housing in areas like North Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill, etc.? I looked at the ones on in this forum but there werent a lot. I also noticed the homes didnt have larger lots in those photos and were pretty close to eachother. Is that the case with many or most of the homes in those areas? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Asiangal, I just wanted to add a little addition about the transportation situation. I didn't mean to make it sound so doom and gloom. It is possible to use the buses primarily, but you have to plan ahead. Most of the apartment websites (I think) will allow you to do searches for apartments by narrowing them down according to their access to public transportation. However, still don't take their word for it. Some places may be close to buses, but their bus stops may be in an area that makes you uncomfortable to walk to.

For example, there may be a rather large complex that is "on a bus route", but your particular unit maybe far away from that stop (some complexes are literally like little villages). Sometimes, stops are close, but borderline dangerous for pedestrians to get to with lots of cars and no sidewalks. Also, there's the issue of riding at night (early or late) which opens up a whole different can of worms.

You'll need to actually see the apartment complex first hand and where the stop is, along with the bus schedule (www.gotriangle.com) before making any concrete decision. You'll want to also find some with grocery stores (with your favorite organics hopefully) not too far away. I don't think you'll find a problem with having bus access to hospitals.

Another thing to consider is that hopefully, you'll make some friends and carpool or even borrow a car if you need so as not to inconvenience family members too much.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
LOL, yeah, I'm from America, but if I were to beam you into my old neighborhood, you'd know exactly what I mean without much time to come to that conclusion. If you look at somebody wrong, you might get cursed out, literally (happened to dh). Striking up a conversation was almost non-existent. Everybody does their own thing and if you were to try to talk to someone you don't know even about something as innocent as the weather, they will look give you that "WTH is your problem?" look.

Coming from this type of environment, it was hard for me to adjust to smiles and kind words from strangers.
Wow, that's bad! Is it a city thing, a NJ thing?
Correction, what I was asking in a poor way is that why is it like this? Is it a city thing or in certain areas? The NJ folks here are like everyone else. And we have a favorite here, NRG - North Raleigh Guy. He's the one who posts the cool photos!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 01-16-2011 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary