Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
Hi Vicki,

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but could you please tell me what price ranges are considered "hot" right now? Thanks so much!
It seems like anything that is around the $150,000 is going fast.

Homes under $300,000 in North Raleigh going fast.

Homes around $300,000 in Cary (I think this has to do with alot of the Fidelity transfers).

I just scheduled some showings for tomorrow in the price range of $200,000 to $225,000. Of the 13 that I had planned to schedule, 5 had sold in the last few days.

Thats what I've been finding but maybe others have found something different? I'd love to know.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 05:18 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
I also agree with Vicki.
And I would add, One may "think" with the amount of houses for sale on the market here it is showing signs of being unstable. But every year we seem to see the houses get sold. And I do not think this year will be the exception to that. Not yet...

RescueDogsrule. I will look for that thanks for sharing. Becuase I know we have been high in ranking but now we made it to #1, thanks!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueDogsRule View Post
I read an article yesterday online ranking the best real estate markets. Raleigh was rated #1 for its robust market. Steady appreciation and a healthy local economy were among reasons for our top position.

I think it was Money Magazine, but I can't promise that's right.

Vicki knows her stuff.
Can you post a link to the article?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Awww, thanks guys. Now someone explain to me WHO keeps giving me bad points and keeps saying that I'm "rude" and "mean". I don't mean to be but if you disagree with me, then you should post it and tell me why you think your opinion is correct and I'm wrong instead of just hiding.

Vicki
I can't give anything but positive points so it wasn't me. I do find it interesting that I've received 3 positive points and 2 negative for my contributions on this thread. Vicki, you must really tick people off.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:58 AM

42 posts, read 189,952 times
Default article ranking best real estate markets

The 5 best places to sell a home - Selling Your House - MSN Real Estate

I found it by going to msn.com and clicking on "real estate" at the top of the msn main page.

By the way, it was a Forbes article, not Money magazine. Oops.

Have a great day!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I can't give anything but positive points so it wasn't me. I do find it interesting that I've received 3 positive points and 2 negative for my contributions on this thread. Vicki, you must really tick people off.

It seems that you either love my posts or you hate 'em. Either way...you can count on the 2 facts: that I know real estate and I ALWAYS tell the truth, no sugar coating here. Oh well. Thats life!!!

Vicki

Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Homes around $300,000 in Cary (I think this has to do with alot of the Fidelity transfers).

Vicki
Frankly, I'm surprised that Fidelty transfers are associated with such a low house price point for Cary.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 AM

186 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueDogsRule View Post
The 5 best places to sell a home - Selling Your House - MSN Real Estate

I found it by going to msn.com and clicking on "real estate" at the top of the msn main page.

By the way, it was a Forbes article, not Money magazine. Oops.

Have a great day!
Isn't there a big difference between selling and buying? Doesn't it take about 4 years to even break even on a home purchase? You pay X amount for closing, so it takes 4 years of your principal mortgage payments to equal what you paid for closing cost (This is not including down payment). If appreciation is flat lined or declining then you will most likely take a loss when you sell in 4 years. If appreciation is up even 1% most likely you will break even. I got taxed $2,200 when I sold my own. Transfer tax what will they think of next. I seen a thread about a 1% transfer tax. 1% of $300k I think is $3k you have to pay when you sell that property. I hope your Realtor tells you this or you will be in a big surprise when you review your selling statement. Imagen sitting at the closing table then bam $3k to taxes.

Do you still need to put 20% down or pay that crazy mortgage insurance? Most people don't even have 20% for a $100,000 home let alone 20% for $200k.

It has been my experience that Realtors would rather chop off their right hand than say housing is in a slump. Who is going to buy a house in a declining area. This is the largest incline in prices in history. Properties values won't go up for ever. Do your homework when you buy and don't trust everyone.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised that Fidelty transfers are associated with such a low house price point for Cary.
People can get a very nice house in Cary for $300K, especially moving from higher cost areas. A $300K house here would be $600K-$700K in Northern Virginia, for example. Maybe people are looking to improve their quality of life (i.e. mom stays at home instead of working), rather than buy a house for the same price as the one they sold?

I guess I'm in a very small minority - my house here cost less than half of what my previous house sold for (and less than what I paid for it, 5 years ago) and I'm very happy with the decision to stay "modest" and have a small mortgage.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:28 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
People can get a very nice house in Cary for $300K, especially moving from higher cost areas. A $300K house here would be $600K-$700K in Northern Virginia, for example.
Not sure what moving from a higher cost area has to do with making a Cary home any more valuable, but I think I understand you are comparing areas and pricing.

We look at homes every weekend in Cary and I suppose one man's 'nice $300k home in Cary' is another man's shack. Not really a shack, but you are probably as aware as I am, Cary is an upscale area of the Triangle and no shortage of homes in $550-$1m and upward range.

My point was that unless these are customer service jobs or some such thing with Fidelty, I would be surprised to see a lot of Fidelty transfers buying up $300k homes in Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary