Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,493 times

Advertisements

How did I miss this thread!? Really interesting and love all the pics! Hope to make it to the lecture!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Default from Rose

I've found more than 40 kit homes in Raleigh, and the museum there in town has set up a small exhibit.

This really is an amazing find, and an awesome collection of kit homes!

Based on my research, more than 90% of the people living in these homes didn't realize what they had until they were informed by me or others.

In other words, the very people living *in* these houses usually don't know what they have!!

Rose

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
this is very glad news! i hope to make it out to hear your presentation. guess i also need to add the raleigh city museum on the list for things to see if they have an exhibit pending on that right now.

thanks for the heads up & welcome in advance to our lovely city!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Thumbs up Trying to arrange a walk with Rosemary...

I live in Glenwood-Brooklyn, down the street from the Rialto… I'm trying to arrange a walk with Rosemary around here since she's identified several kit houses in our neighborhood (at least one on my street!).

Don't know if she'll have time the weekend of her presentation and book appearance, but she's indicated a few months ago that she may be open to walking around here with a group of city-data folk… which would be very cool!

Anyway, if she can fit this into here schedule, I'll post a separate thread about it. Just wanted to put this out there to gauge interest…

Post in this thread if you'd be interested in such an event. We can arrange for refreshments in the area too, even if it's my house. If there's a big response, we can raid er… visit one of the local coffeehouses or restaurants.

If not that weekend, perhaps another time later. But, her being at the Rialto is too good to pass up!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM

BTW, I started this thread with a "have you seen this house" question and I guess I'll end it on a similar note.

I found this house in Raleigh ("The DuMont) and I neglected to get the address. It was built as a four-plex but your Raleigh version had been converted into a single family.

Does anyone have the specific address? I'd love to include it in my powerpoint presentation in May.

This is actually a PLAN BOOK house, not a kit home, but still - pretty darn cool!!!

Last edited by Marka; 05-23-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM

i would definitely be interested in any sort of walking tour for that.

also, rosemaryt, that house looks so familiar to me that i am going bonkers trying to figure out where i've seen it. i'm thinking on one of the side streets off of glenwood in the glenwood-brooklyn area or perhaps somewhere in mordecai? do you recall if it was near any other houses that you documented that might lead us in a general direction. totally driving me crazy (which probably isn't that far of a drive, but you know ...).

Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Exclamation I've posted about a possible meet-up with Rosemary

here.

Please go there and let us know if you're interested!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM

Someone sent me a note and said they thought it was in the 200-block of Forest Road. I hope she's right!

On another note, how come no one's told me about Durham?

Someone already sent me a pic of a BEAUTIFUL Sears Alhambra in Durham!!! I've never been to Durham, and yet I see that it's not "pictured" on Google Maps.

How can I find photos of Durham houses?

Maybe you have a Sears Magnolia lurking there in Durham!!

Rose

Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
On another note, how come no one's told me about Durham?

Someone already sent me a pic of a BEAUTIFUL Sears Alhambra in Durham!!! I've never been to Durham, and yet I see that it's not "pictured" on Google Maps.

How can I find photos of Durham houses?

Maybe you have a Sears Magnolia lurking there in Durham!!

Rose
you should definitely make durham a destination when here. as for finding pictures of durham houses, if you can figure out the address, they have a similar search system to wake county's (raleigh's) tax search which will show a picture of the home.

Durham County Tax Bill Application - Search

search by address & then click on the "photos" tab to see a photo.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
What's the status of the walking tour with Rosemary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary