Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 AM

449 posts, read 699,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
What's the status of the walking tour with Rosemary?
We determined there wouldn't be much of a turnout on May 17th which is a Thursday evening -- the only time she had free on this trip, so it has been postponed until her next trip out late summer/early fall.

I will be definitely posting about that early enough to get y'all together for it… I think it will be big fun.

Be sure to make it out for these events [I'll shamelessly repost the info ]
Rosemary Thorton, (RosemaryT here on C-D) is coming to Raleigh on the weekend of May 18-30, 2012 to give two talks on Kit Homes in Raleigh, and do a book appearance and signing at Third Place Coffee.

From the Raleigh Historic District Development Commission newsletter:
MADE TO ORDER: KIT HOMES IN RALEIGH
During the first half of the twentieth century Sears, Roebuck, and Company and a handful of other companies sold mail-order homes. Ordered from a catalog, the houses (and assembly instructions) were shipped to the buyer piece by piece. Rosemary Thornton, a leading authority on Sears Modern Homes, recognizes that Raleigh has an impressive collection. Join RHDC in exploring Raleigh’s treasure trove:

Made to Order: Kit Homes in Raleigh at the Raleigh City Museum
Friday, May 18, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Raleigh City Museum, 220 Fayetteville Street
In partnership with the Raleigh City Museum, RHDC will host a reception launching the exhibit Made to Order: Kit Homes in Raleigh.

The Houses that Sears Built in Raleigh at the Rialto
Saturday, May 19, 1:30—3:30 p.m.
Rialto Theatre, 1620 Glenwood Avenue
Learn about Sears Modern Homes from expert Rosemary Thornton.

Meet Rosemary: A Book Signing
Saturday, May 19, 3:30 p.m.
Third Place, 1811 Glenwood Avenue
Featuring Rosemary Thornton, author of The Houses that Sears Built and Finding the Houses that Sears Built.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Did y'all see this?

'Made to Order' exhibit celebrates Raleigh's kit homes - Home/Garden - NewsObserver.com

Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Yes, I saw it. I just sat down to post it...

Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 AM

I don't make much money off this Sears House gig (actually, that's an understatement), but I sure do have fun finding these old homes.

It gives me *great* joy to think that these 40+ homeowners in Raleigh now know something about their homes that they didn't know before, and a few thousand people in Raleigh now know something about their old neighborhoods that they did not know before.

Thanks for all the positive comments. These comments are my *payment* and the kind words really do warm the cockles of my heart.

You know - all this got started because of the wonderful enthusiasm shown here at city-data on this original post!!! So thank you for that, too!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I remember you saying these homes were often near rail lines. Interesting to look at the map from the article and they are all quite close to the tracks.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I remember you saying these homes were often near rail lines. Interesting to look at the map from the article and they are all quite close to the tracks.
My wife's grandmother had her kit home dropped off at a railroad spur at Beryl Rd. in Raleigh. It was loaded on a flatbed truck and delivered just several blocks away. It's the 2820 Everett Ave. kit home. It looked great today! No longer in the family however.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
I just came back from Rosemary's talk over at the Rialto and it was awesome. She gets cool facts across in a comedic kind of way. Loved it.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the book signing and purchase her books. Wonder if I could FedEx her some copies to sign with return postage pre-paid.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:08 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
NPR had a bit on the houses here, what a weirdly interesting thing......... The second house from the main post still looks super modern 70 years later!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Default And in Chapel Hill

In the 500-block of Rosemary Street (Chapel Hill), you have the MOST perfect Aladdin Brentwood that I have ever seen - anywhere - anytime.

I don't suppose anyone here could PM me with the owner's contact info? I'd love to feature their house in a blog, but would like to talk with them first...

And then a little bit down the road, I saw the Aladdin Inverness (shown below).

It's on West Rosemary. How appropos!!!

Both of these are kit homes from ALADDIN, a kit-home company that was actually larger than Sears!!

Last edited by Marka; 05-23-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
i really hate that i missed your talk, rosemaryt! there were simply not enough hours in the day to catch up on the things that have been neglected for the past three weeks of craziness that was family in town & grad school graduation for my husband.

if you are ever coming back to visit & present or do any sort of tour, please tell me that you will keep us posted! thanks for all you do with these homes (& for all you've done for addie -- i've been following your blog out of historical fascination for the homes & her story .... can't help it, my father instilled that undying fascination wth history & genealogy!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary