Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,461 times

Advertisements

I'm going to visit during President's week and am looking at Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Most of the houses in Cary are out of our price range. We're coming from NY and live near a Waldorf School, but send our kids to the public school. Everything else about us is organic,"Food, Inc" aware, vegetarian/pescatarian, and very into non-status quo (We're independents, but are most close to democrats in thought). It's a diverse neighborhood for a suburban community, so I'm interested in your opinion of the 3 neighborhoods I mentioned. Durham seems to be the most diverse, but least spacious (lot wise), Raleigh seems like a good mix of urban communities, and Chapel Hill looks good too. One other thing, we heard this is bible country, so being non-religious (I have a Catholic ubringing), will we be a bit too odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckala View Post
I'm going to visit during President's week and am looking at Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Most of the houses in Cary are out of our price range. We're coming from NY and live near a Waldorf School, but send our kids to the public school. Everything else about us is organic,"Food, Inc" aware, vegetarian/pescatarian, and very into non-status quo (We're independents, but are most close to democrats in thought). It's a diverse neighborhood for a suburban community, so I'm interested in your opinion of the 3 neighborhoods I mentioned. Durham seems to be the most diverse, but least spacious (lot wise), Raleigh seems like a good mix of urban communities, and Chapel Hill looks good too. One other thing, we heard this is bible country, so being non-religious (I have a Catholic ubringing), will we be a bit too odd?
If a Cary home busts your budget, you will have a harder time in all of Chapel Hill for sure, and in much of Raleigh, and some of Durham.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 PM

142 posts, read 283,864 times
I think you'll be fine here, whichever city in the Triangle you decide on. As for the religion question, there's been lots of talk about it on here and I'm sure others will have their own opinions, but it seems that religion is becoming less and less prominent here. Not to say it's disappearing, of course, but as a native I can say that I rarely come in contact with overly religious people anymore (that is, people who relate everything to God and such). You'll come across people who participate in church for the social aspect but this isn't a very "Bible-belty" place, in my opinion. Of course if go more rural, outside of the Triangle, the more that changes.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckala View Post
One other thing, we heard this is bible country, so being non-religious (I have a Catholic ubringing), will we be a bit too odd?
You should always take what "you've heard" (positive or negative) about an area with a grain of salt until you've seen evidence for or against it. No, this is not "Bible country". Yes, religion is much more "important" here to more people than in NY, but at least in NC, most are live-and-let-live about it (i.e. this isn't Utah or Oklahoma, despite what you may have "heard"). You will probably find there to be substantially more churches on the corners than you're used to, and more people who go to a church of some sort, but they usually won't be "in your face" about it. When they first meet you, they might ask you about a church, but they're doing so to offer assistance (if you see it from their POV, church is important to them so they imagine it is for you, too, and are trying to help). A simply "Thanks, I'll let you know" should be able to deflect that. Lots of nonreligious folks in the Triangle of all sorts, not to mention Unitarians, etc who go to "church" but aren't technically "religious".

OTOH, rural areas of the state (like rural areas of any state) are more "traditionally" churchy. But even still, proselytizing should be rare, and generally you shouldn't feel ostracism over being nonreligious. Don't forget to register to vote as soon as you get here

PS--where will you be working? That will dictate a lot about where to hone in on for living, as it's a pretty spread-out area with bad traffic at many times of day.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
not sure what your budget is, but 1/2 acre lots can be had in durham for around $300k (prices here range $250-$500) in a nice, older neighborhood called Duke Forest. You would fit in easily.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If a Cary home busts your budget, you will have a harder time in all of Chapel Hill for sure, and in much of Raleigh, and some of Durham.
Mike is spot on. We have good friends who work in Chapel Hill but could not find a suitable home they could afford. They bought in Cary instead.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM

285 posts, read 493,210 times
From what you've described, you might enjoy parts of Durham, Carrboro, or perhaps Hillborough (in Orange County, north of Chapel Hill). You mentioned a small lots in Durham, but you can find plenty of mid-size to larger lots if you look in older neighborhoods. I live in Woodcroft and have about 1/3 of an acre, which is plenty for me. If you're thinking of something larger, look in the area around the Duke Forest, as an earlier poster mentioned.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsT89 View Post
You mentioned a small lots in Durham, but you can find plenty of mid-size to larger lots if you look in older neighborhoods. I live in Woodcroft and have about 1/3 of an acre, which is plenty for me. If you're thinking of something larger, look in the area around the Duke Forest, as an earlier poster mentioned.
There are larger lots in Northern Durham County just outside of city limits, with most yards having 1/2-1 acre. My parents have 1.75 acres. Most older neighborhoods have larger lots all around Durham. Just like everywhere, most newer neighborhoods are going to have very small lots.

If you want to stay in the city in an urban neighborhood there are plenty up to 1/2 an acre.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
I'll 2nd what Francois said - consider where you are working and let that help guide where you look. Some areas (Rt 40) have horrible traffic, so if you can avoid it that would be good. It would save you lots of stress & time!

And like DanielleNC said - there are still some larger lots out there, but you are probably looking at an older home or something sort of custom. We found most newer development lots were very small. But we found a cute little house built in the 1970's on 1/2 acre of land for around $170 in North Durham. If you do go w/an older house just plan on possibly needing a little extra work (we did new windows & siding). But if you are looking at that going in you can try to negotiate to have it done as part of the sale.

You are unfortunately, probably going to have to do some leg work to find what you want. Each city you mention has cookie-cutter development neighborhoods and other neighborhoods that are more unique. Each is such a large area you can't just catagorize the whole city one way or the other.

A good, local realtor will be invaluable to you too. Get one before you get here & have them line up 3 or 4 homes to walk through. You probably won't find what you want in one weekend, but working w/the realtor on the walk throughs they should learn what you want & then will be your eyes & ears here after you head back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary