Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM

200 posts, read 358,921 times

Advertisements

I can only go by my personal experience: if you like the water, buy a houseboat on a lake. LOTS of fun and much cheaper. Most neighbors at your marina are relaxed and friendly; willing to help out when needed. And you do not have to stay at the dock. You can cruise around the lake and then at night find a private cove to anchor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 AM

67 posts, read 157,406 times
If buying a timeshare seems like an option, check into RCI (the RCI website is sadly in need of a major overhaul, but if you Google RCI, you'll discover alot of info). You can buy weeks like traditional time share or you purchase points and vacation whenever and where ever you can locate a timeshare to match your points and your schedule. As someone already mentioned, you find these on eBay for cheap. Depending on how many points you could afford, you could get a significant amount of vacation time. Check out http://www.tug2.net . If you chose this route, find a good attorney experienced in timeshares. Timeshares are a real estate interest so be sure to do your homework. If buy a timeshare interest of out NC, your timeshare interest will be governed by the real estate/timeshares laws in that state. We have a Disney timeshare in which we can exchange points with RCI - for a fee. I wish we had bought RCI instead b/c we could have bought it for less $$$ and could go to lots of different places in the USA and around the world.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,885 times
If I was going to buy a vacation home, it would definitely be in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Gorgeous, peaceful, cool in the summer. Hot Springs area is appealing.

Would not buy at the beach. Crowded, hurricanes, high insurance rates. If I want to go to the beach, there are no end of rentals available.

Would definitely not buy a vacation home with the idea of renting it out. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me but I'm glad other people don't see it this way. Love VRBO. Have rented through it numerous times.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Being a current owner of a beach house at Atlantic beach (sound front) I can say after it sells I will never own another house at the beach. I don't care if you build the house out of aluminum it will rust. Too many problems associated with the salt air. I do 95% of all home repairs and I'm just sick of fixing rusted parts made from material that doesn't rust.
Once it sells I will be looking for a property on Hyco Lake. I think Hyco is absolutely beautiful especially compared to Gaston. Gaston is too crowded and too large for my likings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary