Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times

Advertisements

We are looking at schools to put my son in for next year. He will be in second grade. I would love any feedback at all on Endeavor Charter School or Chesterbrook Academy. Both schools are fairly new I think so I am having a hard time getting any info.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,634 times
This is like comparing apples and oranges from the admission standpoint. Endeavor is tuition free and has a lottery for admission. Chesterbrook is private- write your check and be on time day 1.

Throw your name in the lottery and make the choice when you are selected in the lottery drawing. We do this each year with Franklin Academy.

Chesterbrook was formerly known as North Raleigh Country Day School until 1.5 years ago. My daughter went there for 2 years of preschool and we never considered keeping her there for Kindergarten. Only 1 of 20 kids in my daughters class stayed so that should be an indication to you.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM

16 posts, read 83,143 times
My son is in kindergarten and my daughter is in pre-school at Chesterbrook academy on Town Village drive in Cary.

First of all, the school is far and above the public school options. My son just had 2 children join his class in January - both had gone to Chesterbrook for pre-school and pre-k. Both of these families chose to take their kids out of the public school in the middle of the school year and return to Chesterbrook due to the fact that they were so disappointed in the public school education. Please note that they were coming from good wake county schools - not the poor ones which surprised me even more.

(Note that the above poster is right that a lot of families do leave Chesterbrook after pre-k. This is because of the fact that most families cannot afford the tuition - not because of the quality of the school. Trust me.)

The teachers at Chesterbrook at excellent all through the school. The children will be a grade or two higher than public schools (and some private schools).

It is a small, family atmosphere. I highly recommend it.

I hope this helps. You can ping me separately if you want to know more.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
You already missed the lottery for Endeavor

Endeavor Charter School | Admissions (http://www.endeavorcharterschool.com/1697105139040630/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=54790&1697Nav =|&NodeID=78 - broken link)

Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 PM

I was accepted in the lottery for Endeavor so that is my top pick right now as I would love to save $900/month but I just don't know much about it. I want to make sure it is a good school before I make my son change schools. His base school has failed us tremendously (they have said that he is too far ahead and he is capped out on learning for now).

Thanks for the feedback all! Would love more.

(oh, and I did tour chesterbrook this week, they said their renewal rate was at about 65% when I asked)

Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
I was accepted in the lottery for Endeavor so that is my top pick right now as I would love to save $900/month but I just don't know much about it. I want to make sure it is a good school before I make my son change schools. His base school has failed us tremendously (they have said that he is too far ahead and he is capped out on learning for now).

Thanks for the feedback all! Would love more.

(oh, and I did tour chesterbrook this week, they said their renewal rate was at about 65% when I asked)

All of the friends I know who have kids at endeavor really like it quite a bit. There were 23 slots and well over 500 applicants, I believe. many were disappointed to not get in!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Oh good, thanks very much! I don't know a soul who has been there so even second hand word of mouth is reassuring We definitely feel lucky to have gotten in. From looking at it, I think they are adding an additional second grade class this year which is the grade my son is going into so that helped. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
The general consensus from my social network is that girls love Endeavor but the boys tend to want back into the mainstream curriculum. My oldest was offered a slot at Endeavor in its Year One and he begged us to let him stay where he was. Two of his friends (both boys) started there and both came back to the standard school option (one mid-year, one the following school year). However we have two families with daughters attending and they're all thrilled.

But honestly, my boys have been attending their traditional schools (one's in elementary and the other just started high school) and we're very happy with their experience. And we moved here from one of the highest rated school districts on Long Island and know a thing or two about so-called superior academic programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary