Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

Our water has a strange aftertaste -- like old stinky socks. Not that I have ever ingested stinky-sock-soaked water.

I can't drink it. I noticed it a few days ago.

We went to lunch at restaurant near Crabtree Mall today, and the water tasted the same -- horrible.

Anyone else notice anything? Or is the sense of taste the first thing to go? After the eyesight? And firm skin? And the ability to stay up past 10 o'clock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Once a year, every March, Raleigh and the surrounding cities flush their systems out with Chloramine sanitizers instead of their normal sanitizers. It prevents the bad bugs from developing a tolerance to the normal sanitizers.

Homebrewers know this and we always switch to bottled water for the month of March.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
We went swimming at Falls lake last weekend. I lost a pair of old socks while floating on my raft.

Sorry.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Yeah. Cary's water is horrid this time of year. Taking a shower makes me smell like I've been swimming in a chlorinated pool for a couple of hours.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Aha. Found the news release from town of Cary. Others do similar procedure.

In accordance with state and federal regulations, the Cary/Apex Water Treatment Facility will temporarily stop adding ammonia to its water treatment disinfection process beginning Tuesday, March 1, 2011. Customers who use water for kidney dialysis machines, fish aquariums or other chlorine sensitive uses should be aware that water may contain chlorine, ammonia, or a mixture of the two at the beginning and end of March. This month-long, annual process is required of municipal water systems and is being conducted in conjunction with other communities in the area. The water plant will resume adding ammonia to the water treatment process on Friday, April 1, 2011. The Cary/Apex plant provides treated water to Cary, Apex, Morrisville, the Raleigh-Durham International Airport and the Wake County portion of Research Triangle Park.

To help keep drinking water safe, the Town uses chlorine and ammonia to reduce trihalomethanes, a byproduct formed when water is disinfected with chlorine alone. The State of North Carolina requires all water systems with the chlorine/ammonia process to cleanse their systems annually by switching to free chlorine and flushing the systems.

“Most customers will not notice a difference in their water during March,” said Jamie Revels, Cary’s Utilities Director. “However, a few residents may notice an increase in chlorine odor, and in some cases, water may be slightly discolored.” Revels pointed out that any minor changes are temporary and a normal part of the annual process.

Customers are encouraged to check their water before washing white clothes. If the water appears discolored, try flushing all house faucets for a few minutes. Customers who have questions or who have water that fails to clear should call the Town of Cary Public Works & Utilities Department at (919) 469-4090.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:15 PM

81 posts, read 173,483 times
Same here in Apex-change in the chemicals used was noticable first week but has subsided-the Town sends out a letter a few weeks before even letting us aquarium lovers know about the change so we can prepare.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM

58 posts, read 231,495 times
Get a distiller. Sodiim Fluoride is the main kill ingredient in rat poison. God knows what else is in the water but you shouldn't take any chances with it.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Blecch. This just makes the consipracy theorist in me rise up--and I've tried to kill her off repeatedly. This just sounds awful, and makes me want to get a distiller, like Slinkycat suggested. But I didn't realize this was a practice, and I didn't get a letter either.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed a huge difference. Also, you can get a free glass of bottled-quality water at Starbucks--their filtration system is the same as what bottled water companies use. Take your own small water bottle, and they'll fill it up for you.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:51 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
Wow! Had no idea. This might explain why my skin has suddenly become so dry and angry despite the warmer weather and precipitation.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM

36 posts, read 82,921 times
Gosh, I wonder if they are doing the same thing in Durham. I've recently noticed a slight oder when I run the water in the sink. Yuk, and I have been washing vegetables with that water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary