Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 138,007 times

Advertisements

We(my child-- a junior and I) toured UNC-Chapel Hill in the fall and were told by the admissions officer that 82% of students are in state and rest are a mix of out of state and international.If you look at the local high school websites,you can see how many students they place in UNC -Chapel Hill.On the school profile for East Chapel Hill High for the class of 2010,out of 387 students,82 students enrolled at UNC Chapel Hill..which is the highest number to one university.I have no idea what the colleges look,for as sometimes you see extremely qualified kids turned down,while someone who may have lower scores etc gets in.I guess student newspapers need to be run,bands need musicians etc ..depends on what they need to fill that year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Have your niece go to community college for 2 years (save tons of money), then transfer in. By then she may have a better idea of what she wants to do with her life as well.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM

42 posts, read 154,782 times
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. It gives me an idea of how to help her focus her appeal letter

Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM

645 posts, read 988,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles23 View Post
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. It gives me an idea of how to help her focus her appeal letter

Hi snuggles - Not sure if you're still checking this thread, but I got to thinking about this from a job interview point of view. Perhaps the main thing here is for your niece to thoughtfully explain (or put in a new light, if she had already emphasized this in her original application) why Carolina - and Carolina specifically - matters to her and her goals/aspirations. Something more than just "well, my aunt went there and she's the greatest person I know, therefore, it must be the greatest school on the planet!" I'm kidding, of course. I'm sure she has her reasons, but to be able to meaningfully articulate the reason(s) why Carolina is the best fit for her (and vice versa) would perhaps give the admissions officer a bit more insight into her level of maturity and mindfulness.

Another thing that popped into my mind - and I'm not sure if this is allowed - would be to gather a few prominent and objective (no relatives, best friends, etc) folks that are knowledgeable about her passions, interests, or goals to submit letters of recommendation. Perhaps they are Carolina alum and can provide specific reasons for why Carolina makes the most sense for your niece - and why Carolina would benefit from having her!

One last thing, snuggles - what a nice and caring aunt you are! This is a tough, frustrating, emotional time for kids. Unfortunately, you can't always get what you want - [authors edit: but as long as we have good, loving people around us that can provide us with the proper guidance and support] - well, you get what you need! (credit to Messrs. Jagger and Richards).

Best of luck to you and your niece!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
I'll toss one last comment onto this pile.

Congratulations to your niece on her acceptance to NC State. It's an outstanding school, and every opportunity that would exist for your niece at UNC exists for her at NC State. Both offer enriching environments for learning and for her future, if she chooses to take advantage of them. While I get she has her heart set on UNC, in the long run where she goes to school really doesn't matter, its whether she takes advantage of the opportunities offered by the the school she does go to.

Good luck to her!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post

Congratulations to your niece on her acceptance to NC State. It's an outstanding school, and every opportunity that would exist for your niece at UNC exists for her at NC State. Both offer enriching environments for learning and for her future, if she chooses to take advantage of them. While I get she has her heart set on UNC, in the long run where she goes to school really doesn't matter, its whether she takes advantage of the opportunities offered by the the school she does go to.

Good luck to her!
yes.

i'm sorry for your niece--I remember not being accepted at my school of choice and how upsetting it was. but where i ended up was a better fit for me and with the benefit of hindsight, i can't imagine doing it differently.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times
I hope that your neice's appeal to UNC is successful. But I'd also echo the sentiments of the previous two posters, if she is motivated your neice will be fine regardless of which school she attends. I recently ran across the following article, which lends some perspective.

Mitch Albom: The college that rejects you may do you a favor | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM

166 posts, read 664,224 times
One thing I noticed the OP didn't mention about her niece's resume was whether or not she has leadership experience or recognition. I think this is probably one of the things that might distinguish between so many great students. If she could also show that on top of being a stellar and involved student, that she also was a student body president as well as the captain of her sports team, for instance, that might also provide some kind of edge.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
I would also look at it like a job hunt...if you get rejected, maybe they are doing you a favor by letting you know you aren't going to 'fit'.

I was accepted to UNC Chapel Hill as an in state student, but we moved my senior year in HS, and as an out of state student I didn't cut it (admissions actually called us to see if we could claim residency). So I went somewhere else. In retrospect, I would have been VERRRRYYYYY unhappy there, so I think they did me a favor.

Doesn't mean that the OP's niece shouldn't appeal, but sometimes these road blocks help us re-evaluate our priorities.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post

Congratulations to your niece on her acceptance to NC State. It's an outstanding school, and every opportunity that would exist for your niece at UNC exists for her at NC State.
Ummm, No. NC State doesn't have nursing or PT to name a few and UNC doesn't have engineering to name one. While they are both good schools that do no have the same opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary