Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM

42 posts, read 154,716 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My niece was turned down for UNC Chapel Hill (and it was my alma mater). I am really shocked that she was turned down. She is a strong athlete, plays numerous sports, acts in school plays, has great grades, great GPA and solid SATs. Of course she is in National Honor Society and many other clubs. She has a job too. She is really the total package. She is certainly Carolina material. (And I was hoping she would be a legacy at my sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma).

If anyone out there works in admissions at UNC-CH, can you give us some tips to use on her appeal letter?

Thanks,
Wendy
UNC Chapel Hill, 1990
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Default From a Parent, but not UNC

Two quick questions:
  1. Was everything you mentioned readily apparent in her application package? Sometimes stand-out students forget that the staff at the college has never heard of them. The students "assume" the college will know of them just as all Staff in their High School knew their reputation while they were still in Middle School.
  2. Was she denied admission to the University, or her desired program of study? Some programs have incredibly competitive admissions, and a different Department/School within the University with a nearly equivalent program will readily offer admission.
Two "Real Life" stories:

Twelve years ago our oldest son received a similar letter. He had applied to the Music Engineering Program at the University of Miami, an extremely competitive program that accepted less than 24 students per year. The School of Music at Miami denied his application into their MUE program but admitted him to their Music Business program - his second choice on the application but which really had no allure to him. The University also offered an Acoustical Engineering Program through their School of Engineering and the students in this program enrolled in many of the same classes as the School of Music's Music Engineering students. The engineering dept was very interested in having our son enroll in their program but the scholarships were significantly less. He and I toured the Campus, made an appointment to talk to the Director of the Music Engineering Program and had a very nice conversation. I asked about a number of options; wait listing, transfer into the program after one semester, etc. None had ever been done before but the Professor was very polite and receptive. My son was left with a choice; enroll in the School of Music and hope for a transfer into his desired program after a semester or two, or enroll in the very similar School of Engineering program. He rolled the dice, accepted the School of Music offer, and within a month received a letter from the Director informing him he was now a Music Engineering Student. He graduated in four years, *** Laude, with three minors in addition to his major, and is now an Intellectual Property Attorney specializing in electronics and sound reproduction patents.

The boy who grew up across the street from us applied to the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of Michigan and was wait listed. His mother called the admissions department daily for two months until his enrollment status was changed to accepted. He graduated from UofM with honors and has since earned his PhD in Mechanical Engineering.

Admissions Counselors don't have a set of perfect tools when faced with deciding which High School students will succeed in their programs and which students may not. Don't let your niece give up. Make her prove they made the wrong decision!

Best of luck to your Niece. I know letters like this can be devastating to a high school student.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 03-21-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
In 2010 the statistics show that the University accepts only 32 percent of applicants. It is a tough university to get into! I have had friends who have gone a different route, either going to a smaller school then transferring junior year, OR, taking classes through the continuing education program. If you can go part time and take classes, often you will be able to apply as a transfer student............

Leigh

Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Thanks everyone. She was actually turned down to the university itself, not a particular school within the university. I understand that it is VERY competitive, but she is top quality.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Yeah, it is very tough. I was a good student too, and I was turned down. They said that it was because there was not enough room. Students all over the country (and some international) apply there, so it is understandable. They said I could transfer in, but I decided to just keep on going through my undergrad at another state school. I may go there for graduate school or something in the future. Yeah, she may be "top quality", but so are the other kids who applied.

It sucks, but it happens.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM

297 posts, read 740,320 times
One of the most important questions is, "Is she from North Carolina?" That's where one of the keys lines are drawn when meting out spaces.

Here are statistics from the 2010 freshman class: Discover academic opportunities that distinguish Carolina

You may find your answers there, but if she's really top notch, then the answer is probably in the statistics they don't mention - how many valedictorians and salutatorians were turned down? How many National Merit Finalists were turned down? I know the numbers at Duke are eye-popping. Also, since UNC is the flagship university for North Carolina, admissions officers look at candidates from across the state, recognizing that not all school systems are equal and not all students are going to compare equally across the board. You may find a top notch student from one of NC's poorer counties admitted ahead of the 100th student from Enloe or Green Hope or Chapel Hill High, although scores are lower and class load less challenging.

I wish your niece all the best in her appeal!

Last edited by NoneOfThis; 03-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: adding/clarifying/correcting :)

Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
it also depends on what county she is coming from -- I have heard wake, durham, chatham and orange counties are all very competitive -- because we all live here and it is just a skosh more competitive from the sheer number of applicants.

I have heard of folks transferring in their soph or jr years - so don't despair. She could still get there. Just do freshman year elsewhere and apply for a transfer.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM

64 posts, read 173,611 times
I'm sorry to hear about her being turned down. If your appeal doesn't work and if she really wants to attend Chapel Hill, she could go somewhere else for one year and transfer as a sophomore. That's what I did. There weren't too many of us sophomore transfers, but I was still able to join a sorority (Tri-Sigma as well!) and have the UNC experience in three years.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 PM

If she doesn't make it in to Carolina on appeal, she is going to NC State. Maybe she can transfer to UNC later. NC State was not her first choice, but it is also a great school so she will be fine either way. She was born and has always lived in Union County NC (Monroe).

Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgal82 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about her being turned down. If your appeal doesn't work and if she really wants to attend Chapel Hill, she could go somewhere else for one year and transfer as a sophomore. That's what I did. There weren't too many of us sophomore transfers, but I was still able to join a sorority (Tri-Sigma as well!) and have the UNC experience in three years.
2nd this. I know a few people who transfered and had no issues. In fact one person who got in had bad grades in HS and a very low SAT score but was able to improve her grades at a CC so UNC accepted her then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary