Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM

85 posts, read 123,900 times

Advertisements

Hi -
Sent a note to the Director about flavored milk. She gave me a cold-shoulder answer about how kids won’t drink white milk so they have to serve the sugar crap! I think she is full of crap with her views. If there is nothing else offered, kids will eventually drink it like I had to when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicorcia1 View Post
Hi -
Sent a note to the Director about flavored milk. She gave me a cold-shoulder answer about how kids won’t drink white milk so they have to serve the sugar crap! I think she is full of crap with her views. If there is nothing else offered, kids will eventually drink it like I had to when I was a kid.
That's such lame BS. Of COURSE kids will want sugar-based food and drink if the comparison is without. That's like saying people won't drive Yugos if given a chance to drive a Bentley for the same price.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
We all know that your taste buds can change if you drink enough of something. How many people actually loved drinking their first beer?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
That's such lame BS. Of COURSE kids will want sugar-based food and drink if the comparison is without. That's like saying people won't drive Yugos if given a chance to drive a Bentley for the same price.
But it does sort of highlight the challenge that schools would face in changing children's diets. Patterns adopted at home may be difficult to change at school.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
But it does sort of highlight the challenge that schools would face in changing children's diets. Patterns adopted at home may be difficult to change at school.
But I don't think that's necessarily the case. . . . .

My kids do not get sugary drinks at home.. . . . only milk or water. If they went to school and had a choice of chocolate milk, regular milk, Hi-C fruit punch, or water. . . . . then they would probably choose the chocolate milk or Hi-C first. If you got rid of the choc milk and Hi-C as options, he'd drink regular milk or water every day and never say anything about it.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
But I don't think that's necessarily the case. . . . .
But it is the case in this country, is it not? Most American families have poor diets, and what we feed to our children is often even worse. I agree it doesn't have to be that way, but it many cases it is, and so schools are fighting not just their own dietary battles, but they must also address ingrained societal and home dietary patterns as well.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
But it is the case in this country, is it not? Most American families have poor diets, and what we feed to our children is often even worse. I agree it doesn't have to be that way, but it many cases it is, and so schools are fighting not just their own dietary battles, but they must also address ingrained societal and home dietary patterns as well.
But if the kids are only given 3 choices . . . milk, water, or go thirsty. . . . do you think they'd choose the 3rd option? My generation survived.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
But if the kids are only given 3 choices . . . milk, water, or go thirsty. . . . do you think they'd choose the 3rd option?
Some would. And if you extend your example to food, I've seen how kids will just skip lunch if they don't like the fare.

I'm not suggesting it's hopeless and nothing should be done - just that the problem with our kids' diets is bigger than just what they serve in the school cafeteria.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The problem with our kids' diets is bigger than just what they serve in the school cafeteria.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 AM

68 posts, read 118,546 times
A recent study actually points out that children are given less access to water at school because the school does not get federal kickbacks for water as they do for milk and juice. Providing drinking glasses costs too much to provide, so kids can't drink water with a meal or when they are thirsty.
This is quite disturbing for year round schools. Kids are in school during the hottest part of the day in the hottest part of the summer. They have no access to water when needed, and the access they have is through drinking fountains that are covered in other kids' saliva.
Would it be better to filter the water and require a glass for each child that they wash at the end of each day? I believe so. If the teachers asked for a filter pitcher and/or filters as part of the school supplies we would take a huge step forward for their health and hydration.
My kids are tracked out now, but I will definitely contact their teachers and the other parents on the water issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary