Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,778,673 times

Advertisements

Even though you've been to the beach, I'd probably recommend going to the beach again. Just go to a different one. Easy to find nice kid friendly lodging. Easy for a kid that young to be entertained playing in the sand and walking at the beach. Lots of stuff near the beach to do as a diversion, such as aquariums. We did a combo Charleston/Myrtle trip when our son was about that age. He enjoyed playing on the trees at White Point Garden in the historic district of Charleston and a walk around Charles Towne Landing with a little mini-zoo and replica ship and such. And he REALLY enjoyed the beach and the hotel pool once we got to Myrtle.

Someone mentioned Blowing Rock, and that would a great non-beach option, especially if you have something like a baby bjorn or backpack that the kid will ride in. Some easy loop hikes in the area. I'd probably wait on tweetsie till older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 PM

311 posts, read 888,569 times
I have an active, water loving 23 month old and honestly there is no way I want to take her to a water park/Great Wolfe Lodge until she can swim. It sounds like a nightmare to me. The Wilmington area (about 2.5 hours from Raleigh) has a few things for a toddler to do and plenty of places to stay with indoor pools. There is is Ft. Fisher Aquarium (North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher), a Children's Museum (Children's Museum of Wilmington), the FREE Southport to Ft. Fisher Ferry (check schedule here: NCDOT: Ferry Division), The Battleship NC (USS North Carolina Battleship), The Cape Fear Serpentarium (Cape Fear Serpentarium Wilmington Attractions), the Wilmington Railroad Museum (Wilmington Railroad Musuem) and Airlie Gardens (beautiful! Airlie Gardens). We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree at Wrightsville Beach and LOVED it.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,691,371 times
There is a Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg! In case the original poster doesn't know, it has an indoor waterpark.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:49 PM

645 posts, read 989,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I used to drive down there every week and it was more like 3 hours, depending on where you are leaving from and where you were going down there. NMB in under 3. Surfside in about 3.5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
i was going ot mention it's more like 3 hours from raleigh, too. perhaps beans&cornbread is further west. the OP didn't say where she's located but it would be good to specify which may help with the distance thing a bit more.
Agreed - You are both absolutely right, but somehow drive times are longer when you have a little one in the back seat (let alone two or three!). I tried to go conservative - with breaks/stops (perhaps a quick bite) along the way.

I figure, with a 1.5 year old, either you're lucky and they fall asleep the whole way - or if they are like mine - they want to stop and use the bathroom every 30-45 min! Then they run off in every direction as you try and lure them back into the car!

OK confession time: On our first trip to Myrtle from N Raleigh - it took us nearly 5 1/2 hours! We made the mistake of taking the scenic route (40 to Wilmington, then down the coast). We got into Wilmington just in time for some major stop and go traffic due to a auto accident. Took us over an hour! Plus, we caravan-ed with 2 others. Talk about grueling! Never again!!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM

645 posts, read 989,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_NC View Post
I have an active, water loving 23 month old and honestly there is no way I want to take her to a water park/Great Wolfe Lodge until she can swim.
Agreed - We've been a couple times (GWL Concord) and I think a 1.5 year old would be very overwhelmed!

It's pretty pricey too - so you really want to get the most bang for your buck - and really, there isn't going to be much that a little one will be able to do safely unless they were fairly good/independent swimmers.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,863 times
We love Ocean Reef in Myrtle Beach (Welcome to the Ocean Reef Resort offering the best in top-of-the-line Myrtle Beach Accommodations)

They have an indoor lazy river, shallow splash/fun pool, they are on the beach, they have multi-room rooms with balconies so we're not sitting in a dark hotel room bored at 8:30 at night lol. It is on the beach. Lots to do in Myrtle. Super fun putt putt course that my little one enjoyed at 1.5, aquarium, etc. We're in East Raleigh and it takes us 2.5 - 3.0 hours to get there.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 AM

68 posts, read 118,626 times
At that age, go where you want and visit a playground and your child will love it. Everywhere you go there will be a park, and everything is new at that age. You both will meet new people and have fun. Kids never get tired of the beach or the woods either, just make sure to take a lot of pictures

Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 AM

906 posts, read 2,383,603 times
I was thinking Boone/Blowing Rock as well. If your little one likes nature, you can go hiking. More like walking trails--nothing strenuous. My kids loved that sort of thing when they were that age.

of course I agree with the others about the beach--it's always fun to go there. I like Emerald Isle. :-)

If you're interested in doing Williamsburg, go for it. We always dragged our kids everywhere when they were little and as long as we gave them opportunities to run around and play, they were fine. They don't have a clue when they're that age anyway. I just did Williamsburg as a chaperone for my 5th grader's field trip. Lots of walking around and lots of open space for a little one to burn up some energy. We also did Jamestown Settlement, which was really neat too.

Does your little one sleep in a stroller or at least handle being in one for a length of time? My oldest was amazing about that which was awesome for going through museums. He was so easy going but our youngest--not so much. Jamestown Settlement had a fantastic museum/gallery if your toddler can handle being in a stroller.

You could the zoo in Asheboro and then Charlotte.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 AM

17 posts, read 43,802 times
Default i also have a one and a half yr old

I have same dilemma. Myrtle beach best option waccatee zoo is nothin but awesome. Cheap and feed lots of animals. Look the place up and make sure u go. My other choices r stay in concord go to museums and all the other attractions in charlotte. Discovery place, drive thru zoo near huntersville area, tiger zoo before concord, transportation museum in spencer. Tons of things and about two and a half hr drive. Last optons go to kid museum in greensboro. Go to tiger zoo in pittsboro. Go to farm zoo in louisburg.

Get a video player for car and play barney. Major life saver for us. Also i am goin to get my toddler a reclinin car seat so he will go to sleep much easier. I always have cheerios in the car.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 AM

97 posts, read 385,200 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! Based on all the great recommendations for Myrtle Beach I think we are switching our trip there. Anyone have any recommendations for places to stay? Last beach we went to was Wrightsville and we stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree and enjoyed it. If someone knows of a similar type place on the beach can you let me know. We'd like to be on the beach and be able to walk to see other things (ie: food, shopping, attractions) A PP suggested Ocean Reef and I've heard good things about Caribbean anybody have any positive/negative things to say about them? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary