Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 AM

60 posts, read 113,532 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I know this is a very common thread, but it seems like its one of those things that needs constant updating/reviewing as cities develop and grow.

What are some of the better apartment complexes in Chapel Hill? In Carrboro? Price differences between the two?

I know CH will certainly be more expensive, but what are you paying for exactly? Currently, my top 2 places are Autumn Woods (Carrboro) and Alta Springs (CH). If anyone knows of any better bang-for-buck places, as well as places to avoid, it would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I certainly don't have to stay in these two cities, as I just work in Chapel Hill. Are there any smaller, quieter areas in the area (preferably closer to CH than Raleigh/Durham) that would be worth checking out?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
"Better" is hard to define without knowing what you're looking for. What cost? Size? Type? Location? Amenities?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Numb3rs View Post
Finally, I certainly don't have to stay in these two cities, as I just work in Chapel Hill. Are there any smaller, quieter areas in the area (preferably closer to CH than Raleigh/Durham) that would be worth checking out?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Hillsborough is a great small town nearby. Unfortunately, there aren't that many rental opportunities. There are a few apartment complexes, but I'm not familiar enough with them. I believe one to avoid is Ashford Lakes, as it has gone downhill, which is a shame as it has a small lake and feels like it's in a forest. In Hillsborough, you can take Highway 86 into Chapel Hill to avoid I-40.

In Durham I enjoyed living at Colonial Village at Deerfield in Duke Forest http://www.colonialprop.com/Apartmen...s_craigslist/1 Very quiet with hiking trails, yet convenient to most of Durham. You can avoid the mess of a commute on 15-501 by taking Erwin Rd. into Chapel Hill.

Just some options outside of Chapel Hill since you asked. I'm not familiar enough with rentals in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, but I'm sure there are plenty of quiet options and you can't beat the convenience and free bus system.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,666 times
If I was back in my young professional days, had a job in CH and looking for somewhere to live, I would live in Durham. Much younger, more "hip and happening" by far than CH. CH seems mostly to be college students and older, moneyed people. The scene in Durham is very young, profesional crowd. Very active arts, music scene, etc. I am 51 and I find CH kinda staid.

But as I live in Raleigh, I have no thoughts on where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary