Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,802 times

Advertisements

I would not buy a house if it did not have a garage unless the price was reduced enough that I could build one for the same price as a comparable house with a garage. When we were searching for homes we told are realtor that there MUST be a garage, she was kinda shocked so maybe we are the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
No. In my experience....80-90% of the decision making process is finalized by the woman if there is a couple.

When selling new homes...a garage is a garage. I have better luck selling the "man cave" INSIDE the home than the uber garage. Of course it all depends on the people in front of you.
We must be the exception then. . . . .

I was the person who received the realtor's "Here are the new properties in the MLS today!" email in my family, and if a listing did not have a 3+ car garage, I didn't even mention it to my wife

Hey, what she didn't know didn't hurt her

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

I was the person who received the realtor's "Here are the new properties in the MLS today!" email in my family, and if a listing did not have a 3+ car garage, I didn't even mention it to my wife

There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule Which is why that number isn't 100%

HOWEVER I bet you consulted your wife before putting in an offer on the home... I bet she had to "sign off" on it before moving forward...am I right?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
In the town we moved here from in NY, you couldn't get a CO on a house without a garage. A house was re-built in our n'hood before we moved and not only did they not put in a garage (they converted it to become part of the house) but there was NO room to put one in. I really wonder what these people are going to do if they ever want to sell their house!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Personally I will never own a home that doesn't at least have a 2 car garage. My 2 car isn't even big enough for our needs, and our next house will hopefully have a 3 car garage for me. I actually use them as a garage, a lot of people around here just store junk in them.
I totally agree. It's a deal-breaker for me.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule Which is why that number isn't 100%

HOWEVER I bet you consulted your wife before putting in an offer on the home... I bet she had to "sign off" on it before moving forward...am I right?
Yes, but the point that I was making is that there are men out there who do have a large say in the decision making process, and I was wondering if any of the realtors market to them? I couldn't give a rat's a$$ whether a house had plantation shutters or a double oven, but tell me there's a 4-car garage wired for phone and 220V, has a central shop-vac, a double-basin utility sink, etc . . . . . I'm there!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,030 times
Personally I'm also a DIYer and would never have a house without a garage. Our house came with a 3-car but I just built another 2-car on as a workshop/auto area. I can share pics separately if anyone is interested, but I find a garage is a great place to do DIY projects, fix or maintain vehicles of all sorts (including lawn equipment), hang out on a rainy day with my daughter, etc. I will never own a house without one, no matter where it is or what the weather.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM

466 posts, read 815,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZherewecome View Post
Relocating and house hunting in the $400-600K range and very surprised by the number of homes that do NOT have a garage. Even if the lot is big enough the current owners haven't built one - and many of the homes are updated.

Is the weather a non-issue there? Only a few of the homes have sheds but wondering where do you put your 'garage stuff'? Has anyone bought a home without a garage and then built one?
We passed on a home because it didn't have a garage and nearly every other house in the neighborhood did. We were worried about resale later on. Our house has a one-car garage, which we're using for storage, and that's fine for us, although a two-car would be nice. My DH doesn't work on cars or really have a need for a workshop, so it suits us just fine. Plus, this neighborhood is a mix of no garage, one-car garage and two-car garages, so nothing really stands out like the other house we saw.

We have some friends who bought a house about four years ago with a plan to add on a garage, but they haven't done it, either. But that husband isn't really a workshop/car guy, either, so it hasn't been a big deal for them.

I am really surprised you are running into new builds at that price level with no garage! At those prices, I would expect a three-car attached to be standard!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM

342 posts, read 751,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Personally I'm also a DIYer and would never have a house without a garage. Our house came with a 3-car but I just built another 2-car on as a workshop/auto area. I can share pics separately if anyone is interested, but I find a garage is a great place to do DIY projects, fix or maintain vehicles of all sorts (including lawn equipment), hang out on a rainy day with my daughter, etc. I will never own a house without one, no matter where it is or what the weather.
Hey RDUBiker...you must mean me! Send away! Looking for ideas for mine.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM

342 posts, read 751,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

Here too. My wife and I worked together in the house search (I still don't know how this actually worked) She knew that we had to keep in mind the house either having a 3 car, or the room (and price difference) to build a detached. along with all her criteria for the actual house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary