Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times

Advertisements

Not sure what a WAWA is...lol.

Clayton has a Starbucks and a placed called "The Coffee Mill" (upstairs is "'the Flipside" for live music, etc).
The Coffee Mill, Clayton NC: Something Different's Brewing in Town

I dont drink coffee so I cant offer much there, except a link.

good luck hauling that "wawa", hope it fits in the back of your car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
There are Wawas all along I-95 in Virginia. Maybe someday they will expand into NC.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Yeah they have been building wawas here in va beach. Since they seem to be moving south it should be a natural progression especially since their loyal customers from up north are moving down south.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 AM

6 posts, read 19,995 times
We are moving to Clayton in September from Mass..... Just bought a home in the River Hills Subdivision...... We were a little concerned as there are several homes for sale in this subdivision and they were built in 2005 so why are these folks bailing?????????? Does anyone know anything about this particular subdivision???????? Is the association a pain or is it just a transitional period for the sellers????????? I really loved the area after spending the weekend driving all around.......... We looked at 16 houses and drove around 200 miles so we covered lots of ground but really liked the feel of Clayton.............. Where are the preschools at in Clayton????????? Are the schools great???????? Any help would be appreciated...........

Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 AM

83 posts, read 500,655 times
I love WaWa. I kept waiting for them to put one close to our home here in PA. They finally are - and now we're leaving. Oh well.
For those of you who don't know, WaWas is a deli/convenience store/gas station all rolled into one. I'm guessing there is something similar in and around Clayton?
They do have the best gas prices up here in PA...............

Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 PM

19 posts, read 51,290 times
Default Clayton Cobblestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I actually live in Clayton and work in RTP. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the commute, however, I moved to Clayton from Raleigh and I look at it this way:
Heather,

Wish I had found this forum earlier. We were just at Cobbleston Wed checking out KB and Anderson Homes. Frankly I was very interested in both though lean to KB design in some ways. Friends that just moved to Raleigh were with us. We are already back in NY but I am sure we will return soon to visit friends again.

I know from your posts you live in an Anderson Home. Can you tell me what you have heard from your neighbors in KB homes about happiness or unhappiness with thier home quality and such? Obviously you feel that the Anderson is a better home since you made that purchase, Could you explain why and how much more that cost in reality?

Actually I am hungry for any information concerning Cobblestone and current residents happiness or unhappiness for that matter. I am ready to make the move but my wife is not so sure. We are in 50's, retired in NY and ready for a change from here. Our friends that just moved to Raleigh are younger 40's and currently renting but wish to purchase something once employedment is secured.

I would appreciate any and all information you can give.

Thank you,
George

Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeny View Post
Heather,

Wish I had found this forum earlier. We were just at Cobbleston Wed checking out KB and Anderson Homes. Frankly I was very interested in both though lean to KB design in some ways. Friends that just moved to Raleigh were with us. We are already back in NY but I am sure we will return soon to visit friends again.

I know from your posts you live in an Anderson Home. Can you tell me what you have heard from your neighbors in KB homes about happiness or unhappiness with thier home quality and such? Obviously you feel that the Anderson is a better home since you made that purchase, Could you explain why and how much more that cost in reality?

Actually I am hungry for any information concerning Cobblestone and current residents happiness or unhappiness for that matter. I am ready to make the move but my wife is not so sure. We are in 50's, retired in NY and ready for a change from here. Our friends that just moved to Raleigh are younger 40's and currently renting but wish to purchase something once employedment is secured.

I would appreciate any and all information you can give.

Thank you,
George
Hi George!
I have met people all throughout Cobblestone..everyone here is soooooooo nice!!!! You really can't go wrong with either area. I actually drove through KB homes at Cobblestone last week to see how it was building up. We noticed one thing that looked a little odd and that was every other house looked exactly the same. Same floor plan, same design, same color...identical. I'm guessing there is not a wide range of selection or there are three very popular house designs that people seemed to love. A friend of ours bought a house there and he made the same comment. He was wondering how he would re-sell his house in a few years when the house across the street is exactly identical. We also saw a window that was in crooked but the next day it was fixed (it was pretty obvious). We looked at KB right when the neighborhood went up so there was only a few houses at the time. I'm glad we didnt choose KB because if my house looked exactly the same as someone within close walking distance,I dont think I would have liked it as much. Then again, you can always buy some paint and just change the color.

We looked at KB homes first, liked a little of something from all of the models but when we figured up in our heads what the additional price would cost, it kind of threw us for a loop. The deal breaker was off for us when they told us we would have to go through all the paperwork first, give them a non-refundable $1,000 good faith fee, THEN head to the design center to find out exactly how much our house was going to cost. We didnt want to fall in love with a kitchen cabinet for example only to have to make the cut on it in the end and settle for something we might not have really wanted. We told them we would talk about it and come back.

On the way out, we stopped at Anderson. We walked through the previous model home and fell in love with it (Taylor). Our sales agent (PM me if you would like her contact information, she is AMAZING) told us that the things that are considered an "upgrade" in other builders homes (like KB) is actually a standard! Our friends who wanted hardwood floors in their KB homes ended up settling for something standard because of the cost. I LOVE my hardwood floors, and those are standard.
I moved here from Raleigh from an 1100 sq ft house where my electric bills usually ran around $150. In my "twice the size" Anderson home, my electric bill runs around $120. Anderson homes build Energy Saving homes and you can really tell the difference. Plus, they use tighter construction and better air quality, my allergies have not been nearly as bad as they normally are. To be, that was a big PLUS for us!

I think if you visited both places and just weigh the pros & cons of both, you will be able to decide in the end. I was a bit turned off that you could not tour the design center BEFORE putting in the paperwork. I know people complain about the quality of KB homes but to me, that was the turnoff. We had friends who lived in an KB home in Durham and they just now sold it..a year later. Do some research, there is alot of positive/negative feedback out there. We were planning on doing a "build to buy" and we walked through a total of three houses. We pulled up to our house that we ended up buying and fell in love with it immediately. But our neighbors did a build to buy and they never experienced any problems. They love it here. Its peaceful, very quiet, everyone is super friendly, no "speeding cars", no loud music, no cars driving through blasting music, people wave as you drive out. Its just a wonderful community.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM if you have any questions (and to anyone else who may have some). There are alot of KB homes posts in general on this board, maybe someone who actually lives there and give more feedback. I personally love my Anderson home and would not change it for the world!

Good luck!!!
Heather

Old 08-04-2007, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 16,975 times
Default Hello fellow cobblestonians...

I was interested/ pleased to see all the talk about Cobblestone. We had our Anderson home (also a Taylor floor plan) built in the Cobblestone subdivision.
After living in a nearby neighborhood for a few years. We were among the first houses to go up. We picked out everything, even the placement of the home on the lot. We have lived here for about two years now and we adore our home. It is big, open and whenever we have guest they really seemed impressed with its beauty and layout. Anderson had quite a few features to choose from to try and keep the homes from looking to identical. That said there are quite a few Taylors out here, but can you blame anyone it really is an exceptional floor plan. Ours is one of the few Taylors with stone on the front, such an attractive feature. that really makes our home stand out.
The neighboorhood is excellent. It is quiet with very nice neighbors and other children for our son to play with. Quite a few people (including us) have new babies.
The only somewhat negative thing I can say is, the warranty work on our home can be a slow somewhat pain staking process. We still have minor issues that need to be addressed. They have been quick to deal with any major concerns we may have had. But the little stuff seems to be "forgotten" easily. I am sure they are very busy, with all the building houses.

Our son is 9 years old and goes to Cooper elementary. It is a wonderful little school. We have been very impressed with this school system. In our opinion it has been far better than what wake County has to offer. Our son was tested in kindergarten and found to be intellectually and academically gifted. So in first grade he started attending the AIG center in Smithfield, NC, one day a week. He goes to advanced math, science, reading, art and music classes there. It is all completely free and the school buses him there and back. He adores it and cannot wait for his center day, during the week. I was so surprised they would take the time to notice the advanced children as well as ones that need additional help and then go out of their way to foster such a love of learning in him.
Our daughter is 6 months old and attends daycare at Carolina Child Development center (CCDC) (Our son also went here when we first moved to Clayton) We absolutely adore the teachers. Most of which worked there 6 years ago when our son attended. They show such genuine love and compassion for her. It makes leaving her bearable. They also have a wonderful preschool curriculum.
There is tons of shopping to be had...You could shop in Clayton (super wal-mart and shops downtown or drive 15 minutes to Garner (Petsmart,Target, Michael's, cinema, Bj's warehouse etc) or 20 minutes to Smithfield and the Outlet Mall. (Tons of namebrand outlet stores Tommy Hilfiiger, carters, old navy, gap, nike etc)
We have been to the Flipside and really enjoyed it. We also ADORE gourmet coffee and buy ours from the coffee mill...the nuts about you is the best!
and as mentioned before we have a fairly new Starbucks.
As far as night life goes...there is the Flipside, a mCkinnely's pub, several of the restaurants have full bars and I am truly embarrassed to say this one, but an "I heart/like this bar."
Mostly we go to raleigh for a night out. It is only about 20-30 minutes away.

Last edited by casey42; 08-04-2007 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey42 View Post
I was interested/ pleased to see all the talk about Cobblestone. We had our Anderson home (also a Taylor floor plan) built in the Cobblestone subdivision.
After living in a nearby neighborhood for a few years. We were among the first houses to go up. We picked out everything, even the placement of the home on the lot. We have lived here for about two years now and we adore our home. It is big, open and whenever we have guest they really seemed impressed with its beauty and layout. Anderson had quite a few features to choose from to try and keep the homes from looking to identical. That said there are quite a few Taylors out here, but can you blame anyone it really is an exceptional floor plan. Ours is one of the few Taylors with stone on the front, such an attractive feature. that really makes our home stand out.
The neighboorhood is excellent. It is quiet with very nice neighbors and other children for our son to play with. Quite a few people (including us) have new babies.
The only somewhat negative thing I can say is, the warranty work on our home can be a slow somewhat pain staking process. We still have minor issues that need to be addressed. They have been quick to deal with any major concerns we may have had. But the little stuff seems to be "forgotten" easily. I am sure they are very busy, with all the building houses.

Our son is 9 years old and goes to Cooper elementary. It is a wonderful little school. We have been very impressed with this school system. In our opinion it has been far better than what wake County has to offer. Our son was tested in kindergarten and found to be intellectually and academically gifted. So in first grade he started attending the AIG center in Smithfield, NC, one day a week. He goes to advanced math, science, reading, art and music classes there. It is all completely free and the school buses him there and back. He adores it and cannot wait for his center day, during the week. I was so surprised they would take the time to notice the advanced children as well as ones that need additional help and then go out of their way to foster such a love of learning in him.
Our daughter is 6 months old and attends daycare at Carolina Child Development center (CCDC) (Our son also went here when we first moved to Clayton) We absolutely adore the teachers. Most of which worked there 6 years ago when our son attended. They show such genuine love and compassion for her. It makes leaving her bearable. They also have a wonderful preschool curriculum.
There is tons of shopping to be had...You could shop in Clayton (super wal-mart and shops downtown or drive 15 minutes to Garner (Petsmart,Target, Michael's, cinema, Bj's warehouse etc) or 20 minutes to Smithfield and the Outlet Mall. (Tons of namebrand outlet stores Tommy Hilfiiger, carters, old navy, gap, nike etc)
We have been to the Flipside and really enjoyed it. We also ADORE gourmet coffee and buy ours from the coffee mill...the nuts about you is the best!
and as mentioned before we have a fairly new Starbucks.
As far as night life goes...there is the Flipside, a mCkinnely's pub, several of the restaurants have full bars and I am truly embarrassed to say this one, but an "I heart/like this bar."
Mostly we go to raleigh for a night out. It is only about 20-30 minutes away.

Hello neighbor!!!
Wow, small world! We also (like I originally posted) live in Anderson @ Cobblestone too. I love, love, love the Taylor floor plan. We actually have guests in now from South Dakota and they love the house. They could not believe how much we spent for it, compared to our last house in Raleigh.

We have a nine year old daughter who will be attending 4th grade at Cooper too! Small world! She attended West Cooper last year so she's really looking forward to a new school, even though she loved her last one.

We noticed the majority of the kids around us are boys in the same age group. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, so far she's the only girl! *sigh*

We also have the brick front too, we love it. We havent had any problems with our warranty or inspections, everything is running pretty smoothly. We had a landscaping issue in the backyard, but they came out ASAP and took care of it for the most part. Still working with them.

They are really building up some new houses in the neighborhood too! I think once it is all complete, its going to be extremely nice. The new model home layout is amazing as well.

Glad to see there are more Cobblestone-ers out there!

Heather

Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM

19 posts, read 51,290 times
Heather,
I truly appreciate your taking the time out to reply. I am getting very into researching this now as I get more and more enthusiastic about the area and development.

I will also take advantage of your good nature and take you up on your offer to PM you on this as well. I will try to keep most of my questions as they arise to here on the board so that the answers will be of benefit to all.

I have done a google satellite map which is probably a year or more old I would think. Trying to get overall feel for lay of the land. It would appear that the community pool lies on left heading toward KB sales office, between Falcon CT and Westminister Drive. The next street shown heading into KB developed area would be Yorkshire Drive on right, then nothing but bare land shows but I think I have the correct fix in my head. Does that sound correct to you?

We didn't go so far as to sit down and discuss actual pricing based upon options and such. But I was interested in your comment concerning goodfaith fee. Ha, it would seem to me that " good faith " would be to allow me to ascertain a true price of something they wish to sell me without imposing a fee of any kind! I wonder as the housing market erodes somewhat if such practices will quietly cease? The market itself is one reason, besides doing my proper research, that I am planning to proceed somewhat slowly.

I am sure I will have a dozen questions about Carolina living, taxes, water costs, and so forth as I go along. If I become annoying please just smack me and I'll be quiet

Thank again
George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary