Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you go to a lot of small business restaurants? That include street vendors, food trucks, .etc.
The best way to eat, man!! 15 50.00%
I support them, but not as much as I should. 11 36.67%
I don't really know the difference... 1 3.33%
Yuck!! 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 PM

18 posts, read 39,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Guy View Post
I'll put in a good word for Krispy Kreme. It may be a chain, but I don't feel bad about stopping there and their donuts are freaking incredible. I don't stop there exclusively for my donut fix though, so Daylight will be missed.
Oh yeah, I could NEVER bash Krispy Kreme..I just wish they had another one around here in Cary or Morrisville.

They are definitely an exception. I can go to any Krispy Kreme station and just get FANTASTIC donuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,077 times
I did not like Daylight Donuts. They didn't seem very high quality. But my husband liked them, and I am sad that they closed.

Donuts don't seem to big very big around here. Now that this is gone, I don't know where in or near central Cary one would purchase donuts (besides the grocery store).

Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppskevin View Post
I stand corrected on the chain part (in this case, anyway), but the shop felt more like a small business shop. I didn't realize it had over 900 locations.

But my opinions about MOST chains are still the same regardless.

It was such a convenient spot, too. I may have to look into the Raleigh location.

Yeah, I wish they would've turned into a drive thru. You're right, they probably would've been able to compete more if they had.

But regardless, this area has really been catered more to chains and upscale restaurants more than nice small business, "ma and pop" restaurants. While we have some restaurants scattered about...it's not enough in my opinion. And when places do open up with extremely good food, they don't even last 2 years. Because people only see "big" chains and upscale places..

I mean, I know the reason is to try to bring people hear, but I just don't think we have to sell our "souls" to do it.
I second the chain motion. Just had a meal at Stonewood Grill this past week. For what is fairly expensive (chain) food, it was not very good. Service was poor (salads came out 2 minutes after my wife's soup, entree's came out when we were halfway through our salads - but the waitress disappeared during this time, so all our drinks were empty). Will not be going back there.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Chains are growing in numbers EVERYWHERE in the US. That said, the Triangle still has a thriving independent food scene. In just the past week I've been out to eat hitting up Chow in North Raleigh and just today I had lunch at Neomonde. I haven't set foot in the likes of applebees, chili's ect in 4+ years. There are plenty of other local options. I'm also a big fan of the indy coffee scene. I was in Jubala Village Coffee tonight. No need for starbucks. I'm trying to shave some pounds so I don't hit up donut places to much anymore. If you are into locally owned places and you are in Raleigh there are a wealth of option whether you live in the burbs or downtown. I rarely eat at chains anymore - though I do have a weakness for Chipotle and Pei Wei every once in a blue moon. Even in the best of times I think the success rate of restaurants is somehting like 40% with the other 60% closing in the fist 3 years. It is a tough business and isn't for the weak of heart.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Chains are growing in numbers EVERYWHERE in the US. That said, the Triangle still has a thriving independent food scene. In just the past week I've been out to eat hitting up Chow in North Raleigh and just today I had lunch at Neomonde. I haven't set foot in the likes of applebees, chili's ect in 4+ years. There are plenty of other local options. I'm also a big fan of the indy coffee scene. I was in Jubala Village Coffee tonight. No need for starbucks. I'm trying to shave some pounds so I don't hit up donut places to much anymore. If you are into locally owned places and you are in Raleigh there are a wealth of option whether you live in the burbs or downtown. I rarely eat at chains anymore - though I do have a weakness for Chipotle and Pei Wei every once in a blue moon. Even in the best of times I think the success rate of restaurants is somehting like 40% with the other 60% closing in the fist 3 years. It is a tough business and isn't for the weak of heart.
You know?? I think that's my problem, then. I need to start venturing to Raleigh more it seems. I live in the Morrisville/Cary area, and chains is basically all I see. In the area that I know of anyway(Cary Pkwy, High House, Maynard area). They seem to also have more local shops in Durham, too. But again, they don't stay open.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I second the chain motion. Just had a meal at Stonewood Grill this past week. For what is fairly expensive (chain) food, it was not very good. Service was poor (salads came out 2 minutes after my wife's soup, entree's came out when we were halfway through our salads - but the waitress disappeared during this time, so all our drinks were empty). Will not be going back there.

Oh yeah, I hear ya there....

And like you said, for all that money you put into the meal, you weren't satisfied..

Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,701 times
I had no idea Stonewood was a chain! I always got good food and good service and the now-defunct North Raleigh location.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:02 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
eppskevin...we ate at Spirits in Cary recently, it was very good, not at all expensive for what we ate, and I believe is locally owned.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
You don't need to go to Raleigh to go to non-chain restaurants

Thai Spices and Sushi Restaurant in Cary NC- Thai food, Sushi, Delivery and Take Out

Eldorado Mexican Restaurant

La Farm Bakery

www.martinscurryrice.com

Tangerine Cafe

Brooklyn Boys Pizzeria - Cary | Urbanspoon

Tribeca Tavern, Cary, NC

http://cremacoffeeroaster.com/

Connolly's

You don't have to eat at Pizza Hut, McDonald's or Jersey Mike's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppskevin View Post
You know?? I think that's my problem, then. I need to start venturing to Raleigh more it seems. I live in the Morrisville/Cary area, and chains is basically all I see. In the area that I know of anyway(Cary Pkwy, High House, Maynard area). They seem to also have more local shops in Durham, too. But again, they don't stay open.

Last edited by MAtoNC!; 05-08-2011 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Too add more restaurants...

Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Cary Cafe
An
Corner Tavern
Salvio's Pizza
Abbey Road Grill
Dixie Belle's Barbecue
Georgina's
NY Deli
Roma's
The Hibernian
Mac's
Manhattan Deli at the NE corner of HH and Cary Parkway

Hibachi Grill buffet
There are a great bagel/deli and Chinese restaurant in Crescent Commons shopping center.

There are more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary