Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you go to a lot of small business restaurants? That include street vendors, food trucks, .etc.
The best way to eat, man!! 15 50.00%
I support them, but not as much as I should. 11 36.67%
I don't really know the difference... 1 3.33%
Yuck!! 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 39,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectE View Post
Buying Local: How It Boosts the Economy - TIME

We are indeed lucky to have very talented chefs in this area. Making it all the more sense to eat local.
Well said..with some backup, no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM

18 posts, read 39,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
It's right beside Peace College Campus at Seaboard Station, facing Peace St. It's set back from the street a bit, and you actually drive around back to park and enter the restaurant. The food is awesome. Jason Smith is the owner and chef.

18 Seaboard

Regards,
Streamer1212
Ahh ok, thanks Streamer. I'll make sure to try that place out the next time i'm in that area.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM

103 posts, read 157,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Chains, whether franchised or company-owned, provide considerable local economic plusses.
  • Property tax revenues to local municipalities.
  • Payroll to local employees.
  • Revenue to local service providers.
Many franchises are owned by local community members, and owner profit stays local.
Large corporate hospitality brands may distribute profits or charity to a local level.
http://www.goldencorral.com/about/IM...ng_Program.pdf

I think consumer choice should logically be based on quality of food, service, and convenience as much as ownership model.

I eat at Chilis in Cary about once a week, since it is 250 feet from my office door. Chilis is definitely a "chain," and an arm of a publicly traded corporation. With some of the de rigeur arguably terrible menu selections.
My typical lunch is half a turkey sandwich, and a house salad, with a large side of broccoli.
$6.00 It is one of the Lunch Combo specials
+$1.75(I think) for coffee
+ a checkin on Foursquare gets me free chips and salsa, should I desire.
+ Local sales tax
$8.80 total gross bill
+ $2.20 gratuity for $11.00 total

Out of that $11.00, I know that about $3.00 directly stays local.
I know that Chilis or their landlord pays local property tax.
I know that local landscapers tend the grounds.
Sysco, or their competition, pays their local driver for delivery.
Etc.

Some margin goes to the corporate owner, Brinker International, but may also be distributed to state and municipal pension funds via their holdings.

Regardless, there is a huge local component in my payment.
Yes, all those things you mentioned are true, but they would be true for a local business as well. If you replaced that chili's with a local restaurant, they would still pay taxes, pay a landscaper (actually, whoever actually owns the property would be the one paying the landscaper, chili's likely rents), take deliveries of food. So in that way it's a wash.

However, hopefully the local restaurant would have connections to local farms benefitting you and the farm owner/workers. Supposing the business was successful, the owner(s) would buy (a) large house(s) in town and pay taxes on that and also dump more money into the local economy.

With chains, the big money leaves town.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
their donuts were great but coffee was TERRIBLE

Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baaadgoatjoke View Post
Yes, all those things you mentioned are true, but they would be true for a local business as well. If you replaced that chili's with a local restaurant, they would still pay taxes, pay a landscaper (actually, whoever actually owns the property would be the one paying the landscaper, chili's likely rents), take deliveries of food. So in that way it's a wash.

However, hopefully the local restaurant would have connections to local farms benefitting you and the farm owner/workers. Supposing the business was successful, the owner(s) would buy (a) large house(s) in town and pay taxes on that and also dump more money into the local economy.

With chains, the big money leaves town.
Sysco delivers to Mom and Pop, too.
"Hopefully" and "Reality" are often divergent.

"Big money?" I quantified my expenditure to some degree.
How much is "Big money" out of that 11 bucks?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Technically, Daylight Donuts is not a franchise. The operators don't pay an up-front fee to open a store, and they don't pay a percentage of their sales to corporate. Instead, the operators (who are technically licensees) must carry the Daylight product line, must buy the mix from Daylight, and must prepare them per Daylight instructions.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
2 year old thread about donuts resurfaces!

I've actually not been in a daylight donut shop for some time now. My loyalty is with monuts donuts now and there just isn't any going back!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
I did not like Daylight Donuts. They didn't seem very high quality. But my husband liked them, and I am sad that they closed.

Donuts don't seem to big very big around here. Now that this is gone, I don't know where in or near central Cary one would purchase donuts (besides the grocery store).
Depends on how far you're willing to drive but there are two newish doughnut bakeries in Durham. Near Southpoint there's Rise which is owned by the fellow who started up OnlyBurger and in downtown Durham Monuts Donuts has opened a brick and mortar location. I'm not sure but I think they may still be doling up donuts at the Durham Central Park Food Truck Rodeos too.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Daylight Donuts still exists on Creedmoor Road in Raleigh in Stonehenge Shopping Center across from Harris Teeter! all is not lost.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Depends on how far you're willing to drive but there are two newish doughnut bakeries in Durham. Near Southpoint there's Rise which is owned by the fellow who started up OnlyBurger and in downtown Durham Monuts Donuts has opened a brick and mortar location. I'm not sure but I think they may still be doling up donuts at the Durham Central Park Food Truck Rodeos too.
I'd go to the Dunkin Donuts in Cary before I'd drive 30 minutes for a doughnut. And I've never been inside the Cary Dunkin Donuts so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary