Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM

842 posts, read 2,589,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxFanNC View Post
I've been driving down MLK for weeks trying to figure out what they are putting next to the half empty Kroger shopping center at MLK and Roxboro. Well, last night I saw the sign that we are getting a Walmart! So pissed that yet another ChinaMart is headed into Durham where one is not needed. I guess the South Point location controversy caused them to look elsewhere. There goes the neighborhood.
What is it with Walmart and why folks are so scared of them .... well besides the fact that they kill the mom & pop stores trying to survive? That is a nice area of Durham too .. I wonder what the surrounding neighbors think about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
Default Over-extension

My advice: sell Walmart stock NOW. How many times have I seen this before? There's one good chain store -- maybe you have to drive 10 miles to get to it -- and then another branch opens a little closer, and then another across town, and then they're all over, and then they go bankrupt. Walmart may not go out of business, but eventually it'll expand to the point where it's eating its own profits.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 AM

28 posts, read 64,512 times
The Walmart will kill Kroger's business. And the traffic will be horrible around that intersection. Sad the trees were all cut down for consumerism.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,691,371 times
There goes the neighborhood? Really?

I was at the new Walmart by 540 yesterday, it was doing a brisk business with respectable looking people. Very nice store, as is the Sam's club. Received STELLAR customer service there.

I drive right down MLK on my way to work. I'm so psyched about that Walmart as it is going to be by far the most convenient for me in two counties.

The area has plenty of trees and can accommodate the traffic. Don't shop there if you don't want to.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Just discovered the Super Target and Sam's club across the street from my office on Westgate Drive. Yet somehow they didn't put the Kmart out of business? the KMart is kind of a blast from the past but clean and tidy and friendly employees.

I'm actually very happy that there is lots of shopping near my work instead of my home.

Last edited by librarySue; 06-16-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
There goes the neighborhood? Really?

I was at the new Walmart by 540 yesterday, it was doing a brisk business with respectable looking people. Very nice store, as is the Sam's club. Received STELLAR customer service there.

I drive right down MLK on my way to work. I'm so psyched about that Walmart as it is going to be by far the most convenient for me in two counties.

The area has plenty of trees and can accommodate the traffic. Don't shop there if you don't want to.

Let's hope the Morrisville one stays that way...Brier Creek WM started out nice and quickly went downhill, such a shame...I avoid the Brier Creek WM, it's horrible, my opinion ofcourse...I'm more a Target shopper anyway, so no love loss...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,296,425 times
Stopped shopping at Walmart years ago when I learned about their poor business practices (they won't pay their workers overtime, health insurance rates are sky high for part-time employees, which is most of their employees, they don't promote women, and have multiple lawsuits against them on a daily basis for this stuff). Not the kind of thing I want to support. I remember when their marketing campaign was "made in America." As soon as Sam Walton died they started getting all their goods from China. Their prices may be low and they undercut everyone else, but at what cost to us as a county??? Wolves in sheep's clothing they are!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Let's hope the Morrisville one stays that way...Brier Creek WM started out nice and quickly went downhill, such a shame...I avoid the Brier Creek WM, it's horrible, my opinion ofcourse...I'm more a Target shopper anyway, so no love loss...
I thought the one in Briar Creek was nice as well...don't know what I'm not seeing.

RE: hiring practices, etc. We've been hearing that sort of thing for years.

I lived in a low population county for 17 years. When they built the Walmart about 15 years ago, the only mom and pops to go out of business were shabby, filthy and poorly run. I lived down the street from the Walmart general manager. He is a regular joe with a great wife and kids. He has employees who have been with him since day one, I know them by name and some of them know me. If they had problems with the hiring practices or management, why do they still work there? I suppose there aren't a lot of choices, but other retailers have come and gone so presumably they could have moved on if they were unhappy.

I do wish I could buy more things made in the USA, but I am not much of a consumer anyway. I was raised "Make it do, wear it out, use it up or do without". I don't find the selection at Target or Rite Aid or (where else would I shop?) to be any more American made. Just hate to pay more at Target for the same merchandise!

I guess I don't see why Walmart is any worse than any other retailer out to cut down trees, pave parking lots and make money!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
I'm elated that I don't have to drive clean across Durham to spend a few bucks. You know, spend the difference of what I'm saving in products on the high gas prices. So what's the big deal? Most of us shop there and the ones that don't shop there, in this economy, you may want to think about it. So, why not think about shopping closer to home. It's ridiculous to spend all your time and money just to buy paper towels. It takes me over an hour just to pick up anything from Walmart.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 14,041 times
According to the Herald Sun article this Walmart will be having it's grand opening on October 26th and be a small form super-center with a full grocery section. We're excited not to have to get into the mess that is 15-501 just to pick up a few things!

Does anyone know whats going on the corner of Roxboro/MLK beside the new Walmart? I'm hoping for a Sonic Drive-In but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary