Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times

Advertisements

Long-Range Student Assignment: A Community Review

Plans Under Consideration

After a quick read-through, it looks to me like the green plan is the same as the current plan, except that they use the words "low student performance" instead of "free and reduced lunch", and possibly some procedures are modified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,459 times
Yep I thought the same thing about the green plan. After all this hype, it's barely any change from what is in place now.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,369 times
I was thinking the same thing. The Blue plan doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure how much I like the part about students from low performing neighborhoods receiving first pick of the better schools. How is that fair to all of the other kids and wouldn't that lead to lower performance from the good schools? It seems that all of our schools would be average. All I want is a good school, close to my darn house. I guess it's not that simple.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
I thought the same thing too. I not really impressed with either plan, honestly (and yes, the green plan is pretty much the same thing just substitute the word "achievement" for "diversity"), but they are basically doing the same thing. I also think that "on paper" they seem to be expanding choices, which is great, but they aren't saying that anyone will actually get any of those choices, which is what already happens now. They can say no based on the "district's priorities and capacity". Blah....
But I'm not going to get too worked up about them at this point. It's too early in the process.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I can't even get on the darn website, too much traffic I guess.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
I tried since it was presented, and I still can't get on. I think this is the page:
WCPSS:{Superintendent Tata Presents Student Assignment Proposals

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The Blue plan doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure how much I like the part about students from low performing neighborhoods receiving first pick of the better schools. How is that fair to all of the other kids and wouldn't that lead to lower performance from the good schools? It seems that all of our schools would be average. All I want is a good school, close to my darn house. I guess it's not that simple.
What, you don't want to reward mediocrity over success? I thought this was America!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
Why would it be fair for children from high income ['high achievement'] neighborhoods to get the first pick of good schools? Somebody's going to get the first pick in any plan that gives you four to five choices, so who should get to pick first?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
While I understand that the original "blue" plan included a huge amount of choices for parents and was probably too difficult to implement, I was disappointed to see the amount of paring down that occurred when it emerged as the new "blue" plan put forth by the Tata-appointed panel.

The original blue plan included these schools for my node:

Elementary Schools
MIDDLE CREEK ES (Y)
W LAKE ES (Y)
OAK GROVE ES (Y)
BANKS RD ES (Y)
VANCE ES (Y)

PENNY RD ES (T)
SWIFT CREEK ES (T)
YATES MILL ES (T)
FARMINGTON WOODS ES (T)
FUQUAY-VARINA ES (T)
SMITH ES (T)

Middle Schools
CENTENNIAL MS
DILLARD MS
HOLLY RIDGE MS
LUFKIN MS
MOORE SQUARE MS
W LAKE MS

High Schools
ATHENS DR HS
CARY HS
FUQUAY-VARINA HS
GARNER HS
MIDDLE CREEK HS
SOUTHEAST RALEIGH HS

The new blue plan only says this:

Elementary Schools
MIDDLE CREEK ES (Y)
WEST LAKE (Y)
HOLLY GROVE ES (Y)

PENNY ROAD ES (T)
SWIFT CREEK ES (T)
YATES MILL POND (T)

Middle Schools
TBD

High Schools
TBD

For the year-round elementary schools, they replaced Oak Grove, Banks, and Vance (all within a 10 min drive of my house) with Holly Grove (which is clear over on the other side of Holly Springs -- a 30 minute drive from my house).

They don't even list the middle school and high schools that these elementary schools will feed into, which is a big hole in the plan. They should have waited until they could provide that info before releasing to the public.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM

75 posts, read 124,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Why would it be fair for children from high income ['high achievement'] neighborhoods to get the first pick of good schools? Somebody's going to get the first pick in any plan that gives you four to five choices, so who should get to pick first?
Easy. The students closet to the school like most civilized places in the country do. Moving students around to balance the schools balances the schools but doesn't change the reason why poor performing students perform poorly and won't make them perform better. They perform poorly because of a less than ideal home situation. Reassigning them does not fix their home situation. All it does it equalize the "schools" results, not the students. We've been through this for years now and the results show reassigning to equalize schools has been a massive failure. Why not just do what makes sense instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary