Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,457 times

Advertisements

I have been shopping for a pretty bright motion sensing flood light for my back yard for months now, but can not seem to get past the average ones being offered at Lowes and Home Depot. Does anyone here have any experience in this area of what is a decent motion sensing light to get and how many lumen is considered pretty bright for a light that will be positioned at least 25 feet high off the ground?

I need something that will make my back yard look like daylight if someone/something moves back there at nights. Any idea or links to a decent light that would address my concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:45 AM

248 posts, read 754,606 times
It's not going to be inexpensive . You will have to have the sensor located around 12-15 off the area you want sensing from and then add any light you want. There are some good LED lights available and only buy a RAB motion sensor the rest are crap. Expect to spend $100-120 for the sensor and a couple hundred to install

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
It's not going to be inexpensive . You will have to have the sensor located around 12-15 off the area you want sensing from and then add any light you want. There are some good LED lights available and only buy a RAB motion sensor the rest are crap. Expect to spend $100-120 for the sensor and a couple hundred to install
Yeah, but how bright were the ones that you got? Would you consider this to be a decent one despite what this one review says Amazon.com: RAB STL200HBW Stealth Motion Sensor with 200 Degree View and Par-38 Bullet Flood Lighting Kit , White: Home & Garden ?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 AM

248 posts, read 754,606 times
That is the right head but you need a two piece set up because even that one will not work from 25 ft. It should hold up to 150w bulb. The other thing about exterior motion devices is that there can't be too much vegatation or heat generating appliance's (A/C units) near it or u will get alot of false alarms.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
That is the right head but you need a two piece set up because even that one will not work from 25 ft. It should hold up to 150w bulb. The other thing about exterior motion devices is that there can't be too much vegatation or heat generating appliance's (A/C units) near it or u will get alot of false alarms.
What do you mean a two piece set up? I have two double fixtures in the back yard if that is what you mean. Should I be concerned about lumen etc? Are the LED lights like what I have seen at Lowes worth the money Shop utilitech 360 degree flood at Lowes.com ?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Since the motion sensor is basically an on/off switch in series with the light, you could use one from HD and wire in external light(s). Be sure to check the wattage rating on the motion sensor so you don't exceed the capacity.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Since the motion sensor is basically an on/off switch in series with the light, you could use one from HD and wire in external light(s).
You can also find units that are specifically designed to switch a downstream light using the main unit's motion sensor. I installed such a light on my house in Raleigh several years ago. It was purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. With that setup I had flood lights at each corner of my house - two in front and two in back, each set controlled by one motion sensor. With a total of four bulbs each front and back, I had plenty of illumination.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
silly question- would sudden light scare away the munching deer? just wondering.....

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
silly question- would sudden light scare away the munching deer? just wondering.....
I've thought about this too ... I'm just guessing, but I would expect the first few times it would. But then they would get used to it and just ignore it.
My wife had one stare her down last week on the front walk. Good thing they're vegetarians ..

Frank

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM

234 posts, read 822,903 times
They make motion sensing sprinklers. I would think that would work great for deer.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary