Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 PM

120 posts, read 296,448 times

Advertisements

Hello. The wife and I are looking for a bakery in the area. Not a Harris Teeter or Food Lion bakery, but a real handmade (box with string tie) type bakery. Anyone know of what am talking about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 PM

85 posts, read 311,576 times
I've been looking in Durham. If you find one, let me know...

BTW, we found one on Cape Hatteras on the Outer Banks, but you have to drive 4+ hours to get there! (Their glazed donuts are worth it!)

Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
Hello. The wife and I are looking for a bakery in the area. Not a Harris Teeter or Food Lion bakery, but a real handmade (box with string tie) type bakery. Anyone know of what am talking about....
We like Great Harvest on Lead Mine Rd. There are several other locations around the Triangle.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Guglhupf in Durham Guglhupf Bakery, Pâtisserie & Cafe

Mad Hatter in Durham Home - Madhatter Bakeshop and Cafe

La Farm in Cary La Farm Bakery

Also: Hereghty in Raleigh (mostly pastries) http://www.hereghty.com/index.php

Last edited by J_Lurk; 07-04-2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
There is one in Wake Forest. Right off Main Street, behind what used to be Remington Grill. And although the cookies look like the ones from a New York bakery, I don't think they have perfected them yet. I did enjoy my black and white cookie, though. And yes, they have the white box and the string!

Vicki

Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
I can think of three independent bakeries in North Raleigh that failed - even prior to the arrival of Panera. Mass-market and grocery bakeries dominate the local market.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
There are several bakeries tucked away in each corner of the Triangle. Here is a pretty decent list:

Research Triangle Bakeries | Urbanspoon

Which one is best for you will depend on what you are looking for. Bread vs. Cakes vs. Pastries ect..

FWIW I am a big Fan of Scratch Bakery and 9th Street Bakery in Durham. If you are in North Raleigh, you may want to check out the Upper Crust and Antonio's Gourmet Market in Lafayette Village.

Oh yeah, anf I just found some great baked good including Apple Cider Donuts at a little place in Wake Forest called Main Street Grill and Cafe & Bakery.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
There are several bakeries tucked away in each corner of the Triangle. Here is a pretty decent list:

Research Triangle Bakeries | Urbanspoon

Which one is best for you will depend on what you are looking for. Bread vs. Cakes vs. Pastries ect..

FWIW I am a big Fan of Scratch Bakery and 9th Street Bakery in Durham. If you are in North Raleigh, you may want to check out the Upper Crust and Antonio's Gourmet Market in Lafayette Village.

Oh yeah, anf I just found some great baked good including Apple Cider Donuts at a little place in Wake Forest called Main Street Grill and Cafe & Bakery.
I think the bakery in Wake Forest is the same one that I was referring to. I should have known that NRG would have found it!

Vicki

Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I think the bakery in Wake Forest is the same one that I was referring to. I should have known that NRG would have found it!

Vicki
Actually it is a different Bakery Vicki. I know the one you are talking about though behind remington. That place has changes hands a couple of times. To be honest, it isn't one I frequent that often.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
[quote=J_Lurk;19876189]Guglhupf in Durham Guglhupf Bakery, Pâtisserie & Cafe

Mad Hatter in Durham Home - Madhatter Bakeshop and Cafe

La Farm in Cary La Farm Bakery

Exactly the ones I was going to mention...and very good to boot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary