Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Downtown Raleigh will be pretty busy on Saturday with a free concert, the normal nightlife, etc., but Sundays are pretty slow (except for church in the mornings and brunches afterwards).

Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of this heat wave, and temps Sat and Sun should be around 90 iirc. So by Sunday evening, it may be pleasant enough to sit outside somewhere like Lilly's Pizza (at 5 Points) or Mellow Mushroom (Glenwood South). Both are on Glenwood Ave in Raleigh, the latter being closer to downtown. You might check out some of the restaurants on Glenwood South, such as Bogarts, too. These are all in Raleigh.

I don't know that I've been into Durham for Sunday dinner. Durham has some excellent places to eat in the 9th Street area. I definitely recommend checking that area out, just to get a feel. (I'm a big fan of Bali Hai, a Mongolian BBQ place. George's Garage is quite popular.)

A handful of upscale shopping centers with decent restaurants and easy to find:
Raleigh: North Hills - at I-440 and Six Forks Rd. This place will be fairly happening. Lots of restaurants, shops, movie theater, etc.
Cary - Can't remember the name, but at Harrison Ave just off I-40 there is new shopping center with a Bonefish Grille, An (Asian Fusion place) and some more stuff.
Durham - Streets of Southpoint - Since you'll probably want to check out homes in this area, you may want to pop in. This is a nice mall (as far as malls go), but the best feature is an outdoor area made up like a street with several decent places to eat (such as Cheesecake Factory), a movie theater, bookstore, apple store, etc.

These last options are popular, should be semi-crowded even on a Sunday, and quite safe. They aren't going to give you anything unique for the most part, but that is Sunday's for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
"Cary - Can't remember the name, but at Harrison Ave just off I-40 there is new shopping center with a Bonefish Grille, An (Asian Fusion place) and some more stuff. "

The Arboreteum
Skip the frou-frou food and go straight to Maggie Moo's for a goooood ice cream cone.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Alan, as others have said, the entire Triangle is pretty dead on Sundays. Tons of restaurants are closed then, but a few stay open. For instance, there are a few locally-owned restaurants on 9th Street that seem to be open on Sundays. Elmo's Diner might be a good choice from that area.
Places to eat in the Ninth Street alternative shopping district, Durham, NC, aka 9th Street;

The Indy (our local free-press weekly) has a list of the best restaurants in the area. I would check their list & see if anyplace strikes your fancy. You'll have a GPS, so you should be free to go wherever you want.
Independent Weekly: Special Issues: Best of the Triangle: Readers' Choice 2007: Wine & Dine

And if all else fails, you can try some of the restaurants around Southpoint Mall in southern Durham.
The Streets at Southpoint (http://www.streetsatsouthpoint.com/html/index13.asp - broken link)
There are some decent chain restaurants at the mall itself, with other chains across the way (on the eastern side of Fayetteville Street).

As for other things to do? Well, again it's hard because it's a Sunday! Also, the Durham Bulls are playing in Charlotte, so you can't even catch a ball game. If you can take the heat, you might enjoy the Duke Gardens.
The Sarah P. Duke Gardens
It's a gorgeous place, but honestly I'm hesitant to suggest any other outdorr activities because of the heat wave.

The GOOD news for you is that there are quite a few older threads here that feature photos from various neighborhoods in Durham! So you can check out some of them from home. Isn't that convenient. The first link shows some photos I took of my own neighborhood - Woodcroft. The other threads were created by other great members of the forums here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...am-rising.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ns-campus.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pe-valley.html
(Be sure to scroll down & check out the houses in Hope Valley Green. I know there are a couple houses for sale in that neighborhood right now.)

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...h-warning.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...th-street.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nity-park.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ty-durham.html

Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
Great job, Mrs. Steel. Your time and effort in creating good postings shines through.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
good luck in your interview.

Last edited by findingmesomeday; 08-10-2007 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-10-2007, 07:09 PM

39 posts, read 125,971 times
MrsSteel - Thank you SO much for all of the work that went into your post.

NChomesomeday - Thanks for the good wishes.

Everyone else, thank you for your comments.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Please let us know how you made out!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:13 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Alan, I was in downtown Durham today with my husband and I thought of you! Hope you are finding your way around okay. Best of luck on the interview!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:59 PM

39 posts, read 125,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Alan, I was in downtown Durham today with my husband and I thought of you! Hope you are finding your way around okay. Best of luck on the interview!
I hope you weren't one of the pedestrians I almost ran over while trying to pay attention to my GPS.

Seriously, today has worked out fairly well. (interview is tomorrow.)

I found some houses that I love but that are not even close to my budget. It was new housing and I went in to talk to the realtor. He gave me the price sheet (850 and up.) I gave him back the sheet and told him that was quite a bit more than I could spend. He then asked what my budget was and when I told him, he gave me a business card of another realtor in his office, some information about schools, a relocation guide, and a new home building guide to the area. Very friendly.

I drove through your neighborhood as well. I wondered if you were one of the people out walking around.

I also got into some fairly rundown areas of Durham.

All in all, Durham reminds me very much of northern Georgia. Trees, hills, etc.

The highlight so far is that I had dinner at Elmo's. (thanks for the suggestion) I sat at the counter and a couple at the counter was very friendly and showed me different areas of Durham on my map and talked about where the difficult traffic was and what elementary schools they thought were best. (She had been a teacher for 31 years in Durham county)

Thank you for the good wishes on the interview!

--Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary