Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:30 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times

Advertisements

Have you been?

Havana Grill - it's getting great reviews:

HAVANA GRILL User Reviews - Cary, NC 27511 - Citysearch

I think I'm going there for lunch today, will report back. If it's anything like the food I had in Tampa, Miami and Union City, NJ, I may move to Cary just so I can go there every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
BF and I tried going there for dinner after he got off work last week, but he doesn't get done until 8 pm and they close at 8 pm . Hopefully we'll get another chance to try it out soon. We're definitely looking for a decent Cuban place that I can get ham croquetas and a croqueta preparada. Miss those from home...but I am not complaining too much, becase they are not good for me!

A Cuban friend of ours recommended the Oakwood Cafe downtown, and we tried it, but it is more a mix of South and Central American foods rather than a dedicated Cuban restaurant. Sadly, they did not have some of the Cuban staples, but we did have some great empanadas and our entire meal was delicious.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,161 times
OK, I don't mean to sound ignorant but I've never had authentic Cuban food and would love to try it. I'm a vegetarian so I'm wondering if there are there any vegetarian options? I'm under the impression that there really aren't any but I'd love to be wrong!

TIA!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Yeah it's not really great for vegetarians overall...but, you might like the yuca (very garlicky), tostones and plantains. I think black beans are cooked with meat.

I didn't go to that place today but maybe tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Yeah it's not really great for vegetarians overall...but, you might like the yuca (very garlicky), tostones and plantains. I think black beans are cooked with meat.

I didn't go to that place today but maybe tomorrow.
Yes, I love Yuca! And there's no such thing as too much Garlic! My good friend is Cuban and I've had some nice holiday dinners with her family. That was the first time I had Yuca and I loved it.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Not the black beans that my wife makes. I can't remember seeing any meat in black beans that I've had in Miami or New Jersey.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to call the restaurant to check, as well as find out what other vegetarian food they offer.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:51 PM

OK so I went there. I thought it was really good, very close to my fave place in Tampa. Ropa vieja - quite good, would definitely satisfy my frequent Cuban food craving. For some reason they just call it "flank steak in tomato sauce" and they call picadillo "ground beef cassarole" but it's the same thing. Black beans - good enough. Yellow rice - ok. Plantains and yuca looked good. They have two real palm trees outside which is a big plus and almost made me weep for Florida. I'll definitely go back.

They seemed happy that I knew to order "ropa vieja", heh

Oh, the bread wasn't pressed. It wasn't really Cuban bread to me, but it was good.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,317 times
And we ate there as well. I had the roasted pork sandwich (quite good) and my wife had the flank steak sandwich (not good at all; seasoned with salt and not much else and VERY tough).

The beef empanadas were quite good - the meat was seasoned with sofrito, but the shell was a bit thick and doughy.

We'll go back and try proper entrees, and enjoy the patio. The place had a non-stop flow of people through there, but the staff seemed very discombobulated.

Entrees and rice and beans will be the true test, we'll see how they compare to my wife's and my mother-in-law's cooking.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Good food but they close too early as does everything in Cary.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,666 times
Default Black Breans Cooked with meat

Hi Everyone,

Black beans are typically cooked with a piece of ham. You don't eat the meat though. They just cook the beans with it to give the beans flavor. Unless your in the kitchen with the cook, you won't ever see the meat in the beans. The only time I've ever seen my Cuban friends and family not use meat in the beans is when that particular type of meat is not available. Hope that helps.

Lissy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary