Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM

560 posts, read 2,850,666 times

Advertisements

My grandma passed away and left each of us grandchildren $285. She didn't have much, but wanted to share the little she had with us, which is touching.

My sister asked if we should do something special with it, and at first I told her, do what you want with it, I mean she wanted us to have it and use it on whatever we need. Then I got to thinking. Maybe sis is on to something, I mean it was the last gift grandma would give to us. I remember when we would go to see her family in Nova Scotia that they had awesome berry bushes and fruit trees and thought it might be cool to plant a fruit tree in the yard so that her gift would provide beauty and a nice snack for years to come.

So, where might I find a good nursery that could help me select the right tree and provide guidance on where, when, how, etc.

Thanks to all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 03:27 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,979 times
Sorry to hear about your Grandma, she sounds so sweet!

I hear great things about a place called Broadwell's and their prices are supposed to the best. I think it's in Garner or SE Raleigh. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM

3,314 posts, read 9,197,292 times
As to when to plant...fall is the best time. Liz

Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,312,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
My grandma passed away and left each of us grandchildren $285. She didn't have much, but wanted to share the little she had with us, which is touching.

My sister asked if we should do something special with it, and at first I told her, do what you want with it, I mean she wanted us to have it and use it on whatever we need. Then I got to thinking. Maybe sis is on to something, I mean it was the last gift grandma would give to us. I remember when we would go to see her family in Nova Scotia that they had awesome berry bushes and fruit trees and thought it might be cool to plant a fruit tree in the yard so that her gift would provide beauty and a nice snack for years to come.

So, where might I find a good nursery that could help me select the right tree and provide guidance on where, when, how, etc.

Thanks to all in advance!
I'm sorry for your loss.

You also mentioned berry bushes. My husband bought seven blueberry bushes from Finch Blueberry Nurseryin Bailey, which is east of Raleigh on 64. He bought several varieties that produce fruit at different times, so he could have fresh blueberries for as long as possible. He loved the place - he thought he would have to wait a year or two for them to bear fruit, but the bushes they sell are ready to bear fruit the same year.

He bought them just before Easter, but didn't plant them until after the last frost. He planted them in raised beds, and he's been enjoying the berries for a while now.

One hint if you do go this route - get some webbing to cover the bushes when they start bearing fruit. He found out the hard way just how much birds like blueberries, too.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 PM

842 posts, read 3,231,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
Sorry to hear about your Grandma, she sounds so sweet!

I hear great things about a place called Broadwell's and their prices are supposed to the best. I think it's in Garner or SE Raleigh. Good luck!
Broadwell's is great for typical landscaping plants like Crape Myrtles and Wax Leaf Ligustrums, but they do not have a good selection of fruit trees. When I went there a year ago, they didn't have any fruit trees at all.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 AM

823 posts, read 3,925,323 times
Another source is Edible Landscaping, Edible Landscaping Online, in Afton, Virginia. I worked there briefly and know the owner well. He is extremely knowledgeable about fruits and edible landscaping. All the plants are grown and shipped potted rather than bare root, so they have a survival rate. I'd suggest planting late fall and watering dilegently for a year. Lack of water is what most often does in new plantings. My husband is also an expert on fruit planting for the home, specializing in this climate (which can be challanging for many varieties). He has a landscape design and construction business. Just PM if you'd like his contact info.

Alice

Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 PM

560 posts, read 2,850,666 times
Thanks for all the info everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary