Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times

Advertisements

Louis Stephens Rd is currently has 3 sections that are not connected.

Section 1 runs from near Stone Creek Village behind Preston, past a school and tennis facility and then ends at a wetlands area just shy of the new West Regional Library.

Section 2 picks back up on the other side of the Wetlands, runs by the library, school, carpenter village and magnolia, and then ends at Morrisville-Carpenter Rd. (the road then changes names (Koppers then Old Maynard) and continues almost to NC 540.)

Section 3 picks up on the other side of NC 540 and looks very, very close to being connected to Hopson Rd in RTP.

I have found info from Town of Cary and it looks like connecting Sections 1 and 2 (plus extending Morrisville Parkway to flow all the way through from 54 to Carpenter Upchurch) should start in the fall.

I haven't had much luck finding out anything about connecting Sections 2 and 3. I suspect these are just in the long term plans and not on schedule/in budget yet. But if anyone has any info about this, I'd be very curious in finding out more.

I'm greatly looking forward to this, as it will open up the possibility of cycling to work without having to get on Davis or 55 (or going way out of the way to the west such as the American Tobacco Trail, then shooting back East to RTP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
bump ... does anyone know what's going on with Louis Stephens Rd?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
The realtor at Magnolia clued us in (hubby and I) on work on Louis Stephens -- seems realtors can be valuable sources of info!

I'll be glad when they get these 'future road extensions' completed, too. I have been driving around my elbow to get to my thumb, and am anxiously awaiting not only the connections between the three sections of Louis Stephens, but Morrisville Parkway, too.

I'll sure be sitting pretty then.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Section 3 now connects out the top at Hopson.

Work had not started to connect Section 1 and 2 as of this weekend.

I still haven't found anything about connecting sections 2 and 3.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Is Morrisville Parkway ever going to connect between the West Regional Library, Preston Village and the rest of Preston?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM

Yes, work on that is supposed to start soon.

Morrisville Parkway Extension (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/engineering/engproj/morrisvillepkyextoverview.htm - broken link)

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Bump.
The three segments of Louis Stephens are still discontiguous. The gap between sections 1 and 2 is only a couple hundred feet. The reason it has not been completed yet is that building the bridge and the connection is the responsibility of the developer of Heritage Pines. I don't know how they've gotten away with not building it yet, but the subdivision has been completely built out for over a year now.

Between sections 2 and 3, I think I remember hearing that paving Old Maynard (a portion of it anyway) was supposed to be the Breckenridge developer's responsibility, but somehow they've managed to skirt that just like Heratige Pines skirted their responsibility.

In both cases I have no idea why the towns of Cary and Morrisville haven't pursued legal action yet.

The actual connection into RTP under 540 will probably have to be a public project... who will be responsible is anyone's guess. Probably some combination of NCDOT, RTF, Cary, and Morrisville. I predict that it won't happen for at least a few more years.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM

The bridge at the bottom of the hill connecting the Carpenter Village/Olde Carpenter section to the Heritage Pines section is now in place and paved. Lanes are marked. Should be open to traffic very soon.

(Reminder, slow down through here. Several schools, a library, the Tennis center, people crossing the road to connect greenway sections, etc.)

Old 05-30-2008, 04:03 PM

The section near Heritage Pines was still not open as of earlier this week, although I did travel through there on bike.

The Morrisville-to-RTP connection now shows up as a project on the Town of Morrisville webpage:

Morrisville Planning Department (http://www.ci.morrisville.nc.us/planning/transportation.asp - broken link)

Old Maynard (new Louis Stephens Drive)

Projected Completion Date: 2011

The Town of Cary is extending this road from Breckenridge north to the county line. RTP is extending it from the county line to its existing location in RTP. It will be two lanes with no curb or gutter.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 AM

The new section finally opened:

Traffic Alert (http://www.townofcary.org/news/news2008/trafficalert-louisstephensreopening.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary