Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 AM

27 posts, read 72,929 times

Advertisements

In Apex, by looking at the addresses, anyone knows which subs are these people in? or are there just all over the town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
I think one should also consider that different states have varying definitions of a "sexual offender".
True story: Here in NC, a young local married couple who went camping in a relatively remote area got a little "romantic" in their tent. (They truly believed no body was anywhere around....nothing but trees surrounding them.) A sheriff's deputy found them and arrested them for having sex in "public". Guess what? They're now on the sexual offender list!
Does that mean they're gonna "prey" on local kids? Almost certainly not! But now they're on that list and forever gonna have to deal with that anytime they need to move or whatever.

Point is....depending on where you look at the list, see if it actually tells you WHY a person is on it.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I think one should also consider that different states have varying definitions of a "sexual offender".
True story: Here in NC, a young local married couple who went camping in a relatively remote area got a little "romantic" in their tent. (They truly believed no body was anywhere around....nothing but trees surrounding them.) A sheriff's deputy found them and arrested them for having sex in "public". Guess what? They're now on the sexual offender list!
Does that mean they're gonna "prey" on local kids? Almost certainly not! But now they're on that list and forever gonna have to deal with that anytime they need to move or whatever.

Point is....depending on where you look at the list, see if it actually tells you WHY a person is on it.
Sure sure RR, it was a "young local married couple" lol... the guy wasn't named Rob was he??? haha.

No in all seriousness that sucks

I assume if this policy was in place in the 50s and 60s just about any teenager at the drive in movie would of been on the sexual predator list for the past 4-5 decades!

Seems like they should have a child predator list, and then an "all other" misfits list.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
Sure sure RR, it was a "young local married couple" lol... the guy wasn't named Rob was he??? haha.
Yeah, right, like I've ever been camping. LOL

Old 09-04-2006, 01:34 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
I have to agree with Raleigh Rob on this one. The biggest problem with these registries seems to be what actually constitutes a "sex crime." As it stands now, there is no agreement from one state to the next. The states can't even agree on what is a "minor." If one were to have some sort of conviction in one state and moved to North Carolina, they would be required to register here even though that offense may not be a crime or ever was in NC. This doesn't even begin to address the issue of faulty and out-of-date data.

As far as child predators, from what I've read the vast majority of child sex crimes occur at the hands of family members or friends of the family, not some stranger down the street.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I know its a huge concern and I have 4 kids of my own. But...there are websites that show addresses. Now my question is this...what stops them from moving in AFTER you buy your home? And...what about those that don't register? I just keep repeating to my daughter...if they are not family...they are STRANGERS and you are not allowed to go anywhere with them, blah blah blah. Vicki

Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I know its a huge concern and I have 4 kids of my own. But...there are websites that show addresses. Now my question is this...what stops them from moving in AFTER you buy your home? And...what about those that don't register? I just keep repeating to my daughter...if they are not family...they are STRANGERS and you are not allowed to go anywhere with them, blah blah blah. Vicki
They are required by the courts to notify local law enforcement when moving into an area so they can update the registery. Don't do it and back to court you go.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:05 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times
Check the type of sex offense they did. Many are statutory rape - having sex with a girl under the age of 18. This is often a non-forced, loving relationship, which the older person should have to know better than to have done. But these people are on the sex offender list, as they should be, no doubt, which ups the numbers.

If you eliminate those, the numbers are sometimes cut in half. Be sure to check that ... you might feel better. Things are not always as they seem.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
They are required by the courts to notify local law enforcement when moving into an area so they can update the registery. Don't do it and back to court you go.
Either 60 Minutes or 48 Hours or one of those shows did a sequel on sex offenders and how the courts REQUIRE them to notify them of their address and they do...but then they move and DO NOT NOTIFY THE COURTS. Hey...if they are going to break the law by sexual offenses...do you really think their not notifying the court of their address change is going to bother them? Vicki

Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Either 60 Minutes or 48 Hours or one of those shows did a sequel on sex offenders and how the courts REQUIRE them to notify them of their address and they do...but then they move and DO NOT NOTIFY THE COURTS. Hey...if they are going to break the law by sexual offenses...do you really think their not notifying the court of their address change is going to bother them? Vicki
I wouldn't want a bench warrant issued for my arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary