Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Interesting---I thought you didn't like the small lots. Would you mind sharing how you made that neighborhood decision?
Well, I don't like the small lots. That was one of our concessions. We were swayed by two major things:

1. walking distance to a lot of amenities - Weaver Street Co-op, farmer's market, movies, pool, village green activities, etc.
2. lots of kids in the neighborhood

Those were our two main criteria. I definitely would have preferred more land and privacy (we have 1/3 acre now), but that's what we are giving up. In an ideal world, we'd live in a house on a bigger lot in a neighborhood with lots of kids within walking distance of a real downtown (rather than a contrived one), but I couldn't find that exact fit in either CH or Carrboro. We pretty much have that now in Northern Virginia (minus the tons of kids part), and we love it. But we really want our children to be able to walk to friends' homes and to other activities. So, we're trying something new.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we will be happy there. We settle at the end of the month, and will move down at the end of January, most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Congratulations! My unsolicted advice would be to disregard what you're trading off and embrace what SV has to offer. There is something about every place I've lived that offered me and my family different experiences. I think SV has much to offer - just as you've identified. Enjoy those amenities for the time that you live there. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM

15 posts, read 17,646 times
Looking into Raleigh Durham right now. You've been there a few months, care to share any thoughts on your experience there so far? Trying to find a place with lots of kids since I have 3 with good schools, but close enough to shopping and restaurants. Doesn't have to be walking distance, but within a 5-10 minute drive.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all three very distinct towns with separate school systems. If you're asking about Chapel Hill proper there is no place in town that is not w/in 10 mins of a grocery or good restaurants. If you want other shopping (like national brand clothes Abercrombie etc) Southpoint Mall is in SW Durham. There are also many nice boutiques of various stripes (clothing, chocolate, gifts, etc) in Chapel Hill.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Ha, it was funny to reread this thread and see my thought process. I like Southern Village, but I don't love it. I failed to realize how much I'd dislike having a small lot, especially since I was used to a 1/3 acre. Having said that, I haven't seen another neighborhood that is a better fit for us. I liked Lake Hogan Farms, but it seemed to isolated for us. And I liked the older neighborhoods around Estes Hills and off Elliott, but they did not seem conducive to playing - no sidewalks, dense lots, and curvy, hilly streets.

What I do like about Southern Village is that there are a TON of children around here. And we love walking two blocks to the pool. It's nice having the school in the neighborhood. And my kids like biking to the village to go to the movies or for frozen yogurt. I enjoy having concerts on the village green and taking my kids to the gym.

The neighborhood is upscale. Lots of docs and professors here. Even with a master's degree, I feel undereducated. People are friendly, but some are fake. The neighborhood feels contrived, and sometimes I think I am on the set of the Truman Show. The school is a nice facility, but from what I've experienced in two semesters, the school system was stronger in Northern Virginia.

It's pretty convenient to get around and get your everyday needs fulfilled within a 10-minute drive. We go to the library, Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's, and University Mall on a regular basis. To get other necessities, we go into Durham - Target, Costco, our synagogue, and Life and Science Museum.

If you don't mind living in a neighborhood that isn't walkable to amenities, then there are several around here like Lake Hogan Farms - very kid friendly. Some of the older neighbohoods, while nice, do not seem to be loaded with children. Southern Village and Meadowmont (same village concept as SV) are on the high-priced end. You can get something for below $400K, but it may take some looking.

If you are wed to the Chapel Hill schools, then you may find something you like in Carrboro. There was a neighborhood called Quartermane Trace (I believe) that seemed kid-friendly. For your price range, Raleigh may be a better fit for you. And I would definitely look into Churton Grove in Hillsborough - from what you described, I think you'd like that.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM

156 posts, read 182,131 times
Hi

Just wanted to bump this thread as I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for for the Chappel Hill/Cabarro school district. Research says its a very school district. My wife and I like newer homes and most seems older in this area. Just wondering if anyone knew of any subdivisions where one might find newer homes that feed into this school district?

We could do 550-600k on the home.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,077 times
Claremont/Claremont South. There are two builders building there right now and the homes are in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary