Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinitaw View Post
I am from Florida where the residential noise limits were set at 8am-10pm.- I was surprized and dissapointed to see that here it is 7am-11pm. So there is nothing I can say to that annoying neighbor who starts whailing his lawn mower at exactly 7am on Saturdays. UGHG!
Have you tried talking to your neighbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM

10 posts, read 55,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoldpadda19 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Wake Counties noise ordinance ?
Did you find out anything? I can deal with lawn mowers, and even leaf blowers. What sets my teeth on edge (literally - I have grinded them down) is the gutshots. We have Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits or maybe the elusive beer can, but he's shooting in the county and although we're in the city limits, we are told by the city police that we can do nothing about it. There is also a city park within a short distance of where this moron is shooting. What about the freakin' noise?? It's like this jerk is setting off a canon over there.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 14,917 times
The altercation of automobile mufflers presents another problem besides the disagreeable noise they generate as drivers display their unabated ego on the roads and through the woods. Mufflers have an engineered benefit of reducing the carbon monoxide or poison that spews out into our atmosphere. And here, our little darlings are busy in production of these noisy rattling exaust pipes. If there isn't an ordinance to protect us innocent neighbors from the noise, how about protecting us from their poison?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Most cities have laws against discharging firearms within city limits.

Why can't the police do anything about it? Is the shooter outside the city limits?

If not, I would think they could do something about it. Ask the police again. Sometimes you get differing opinions. If no change, then get your city council representative involved. That works sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady View Post
Did you find out anything? I can deal with lawn mowers, and even leaf blowers. What sets my teeth on edge (literally - I have grinded them down) is the gutshots. We have Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits or maybe the elusive beer can, but he's shooting in the county and although we're in the city limits, we are told by the city police that we can do nothing about it. There is also a city park within a short distance of where this moron is shooting. What about the freakin' noise?? It's like this jerk is setting off a canon over there.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Years ago my old neighbor used to do metal working in his garage as a "hobby." He used high speed grinders and other gut wrenching loud devices. He also like to work his hobby during the graveyard shift. Nothing like hearing a sound that resembles a cat getting raped at 4 am in the morning. All night, every night! We finally had to move, as all the letters, protests and complaints to the authorities did any good. The police will do very little about noise complaints. You have document the calls, sounds, and ongoing issue, then take them to court. Only this usually results in a good old fashioned neighbor on neighbor war. Some people just don't care how loud and obnoxious they are.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:40 PM

Our problem is that we live in the city limits which has noise ordinances, and laws about hunting and gunfire, BUT we are near the city limit line and there is some moron on the county side who shoots at air, leaves, tin cans, whatever. It is extremely loud and annoying as hell.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Most cities have laws against discharging firearms within city limits.

Why can't the police do anything about it? Is the shooter outside the city limits?

If not, I would think they could do something about it. Ask the police again. Sometimes you get differing opinions. If no change, then get your city council representative involved. That works sometimes.

Yes, he's outside the city limits and we are within the city. We do have a lot of deer and I understand that the population needs to be controlled but this guy is just shooting to be shooting, rapid fire sometimes, other times it is just a regular interval of bangs. He's not hunting anything. And some of the guns are louder than others. To make it worse, we are near a public park where families go and kids play near the water. I just don't get it. I know I am not the only one in the city who has complained about it, yet we are told there is nothing we can do.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I guess your only choice is to move.

My parents built a house in a subdivision across the street from public land (thick woods), and when I visited them, I'd hear gunshots. I'm sure my blood pressure skyrocketed as I ran into the house, hoping an errant bullet was not going to kill me. It's not worth the stress.

The more I read this board, the happier I am that I live in Brentwood. It's very quiet, no noise, no gunfire, and it has great street lights. Even sidewalks. Has normal-sized yards. And it's close to everything.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Thank goodness I don't have to put up with any of that. Just the odd transponder type thing blowing out once in awhile, but otherwise no gunshots. Yep, moving is probably your only recourse unless you can find a law that covers whatever land that guy is shooting from.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,241 times
Here is some info that may be helpful for you: Raleigh has a designated officer (PROP Officer) for dealing with noises from parties, loud radios, vehicle horns etc.

There are N.C. General Statutes and Raleigh City Codes which specifically regulate vehicle noises, blaring horns, etc.

North Carolina General Statute (NCGS) 20-125(a)

Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, and it shall be unlawful, except as otherwise provided in this section, for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use upon a vehicle any siren, compression or spark plug whistle or for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonable loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. All such horns and warning devices shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulation not inconsistent with this section to be promulgated by the Commissioner.

Raleigh Municipal Code (RCC), Part 12, Chapter 5, Section 12-5007 (a) and (b)

In addition to any other violations of this Code, the following acts are specifically declared to be unreasonably loud, annoying, frightening, loud and disturbing or unnecessary noise, the emission of which shall be unlawful. Such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive:

(a) The sounding of any horn or signal device on any automobile, motorcycle, bus or other vehicle while not in motion, except as a danger signal, or if in motion, only as a danger signal after or as brakes are being applied and deceleration of the vehicle is intended; the creation by means of any such signal device of any unreasonably loud or harsh sound; and the sounding of such device for an unnecessary and unreasonable period of time.

(b) The use of any gong or siren upon any vehicle other than police, fire, ambulance or other emergency vehicles.

NCGS 20-183.3

(a) Safety - A safety inspection of a motor vehicle consists of an inspection of the following equipment to determine if the vehicle has the equipment required by Part 9 of Article 3 of this Chapter and if the equipment is in a safe operating condition:
(1) Brakes, as required by G.S. 20-124.
(2) Lights, as required by G.S. 20-129 or G.S. 20-129.1.
(3) Horn, as required by G.S. 20-125(a).
(4) Steering mechanism, as required by G.S. 20-123.1
(5) Windows and windshield wipers, as required by G.S. 20-127. To determine if a vehicle window meets the window tinting restrictions, a safety inspection mechanic must first determine, based on use of an automotive film check card or knowledge of window tinting techniques, if after-factory tint has been applied to the window. If after-factory tint has been applied, the mechanic must use a light meter approved by the Commissioner to determine if the window meets the window tinting restrictions.
(6) Directional Signals, as required by G.S. 20-125.1
(7) Tires, as required by G.S. 20-122.1.
(8) Mirrors, as required by G.S. 20-126.
(9) Exhaust system and emissions control devices, as required by G.S. 20-128. For a vehicle that is subject to an emissions inspection in addition to a safety inspection, a visual inspection of the vehicle emissions control device is included in the emissions inspection rather than the safety inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary