Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post

Many people predicted that once we started letting EVAAS qualified kids into Alg, that we'd see the scores go down dramatically. Didn't happen. I don't have the numbers with me at this moment but the percentage of kids who passed the Algebra EOC was not significantly lower even though we doubled (?) the number of kids in the course.
So I guess I'm wondering what goes into this EVAAS, especially if teachers can't override it. There are kids out there who do their work, actively engage in class, do well on homework, but have test anxiety. It reflects in scores especially standardized testing. Do these kids get pentalized by EVAAS? Does EVAAS only allow in the kids who do well on testing? I hope not, otherwise previously qualified kids could get bumbed out of the class.

Because I agree with the OP, testing is not a good predictor of future sucess in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is it that Wake County is hiring NEW and INEXPERIENCED teachers to save money? Besides being Algebra I, middle school is TOUGH on a new teacher with zero experience.

Math teachers are not a dime a dozen. All teachers, even the good ones, were new and inexperienced when they first started teaching.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
I have a few comments:

RaleighLass--I'm very happy to hear that your daughter was properly placed! We may not agree on a whole lot, but that is one thing I am thrilled that we do agree on.

Lamishra--you're right that some high schools are limiting students to one math class per year in high school. Glad to hear that your school isn't having to do that. I'm not sure how many schools are limiting the math courses but it is becoming more common. Keep pushing those counselors to get the right classes.

PDXmom--EVAAS is used to place students into the higher math track, not keep them out. Teacher recommendations can be used to move a student up but not hold them back. Know that parents have the ultimate say. If you feel like your child should be in the higher math track, you can ask for them to be moved there. If they say no, keep pushing it because you have the final say. I hate being pushy but sometimes that's what it takes!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I'm often amazed at how quickly kids are getting higher math classes nowadays. I just got an email from my niece. She is 11 and she sent me a Powerpoint presentation describing her first week in school. A Powerpoint presentation! She is in 7th grade (supposedly skipped 6th) and is taking Algebra I this fall.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:09 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'm often amazed at how quickly kids are getting higher math classes nowadays. I just got an email from my niece. She is 11 and she sent me a Powerpoint presentation describing her first week in school. A Powerpoint presentation! She is in 7th grade (supposedly skipped 6th) and is taking Algebra I this fall.
Yep, nothing surprises me anymore. This reminds me of what I learned at a former job.

Working at a local university a small portion of my job involved working with the admissions team. The majority of all applicants had the same academic profile - accelerated classes from 7th grade on, AG, leaders, volunteers, etc.. Many parents had orchestrated their education. Not that it is bad, but sometimes parents took too much control - per our experts. Parents who contacted me for assistance all thought their child was unique...was highly intelligent, hi achiever, better than most. What they failed to realize was that while their child was special in their hometown, school, grade, there were thousands of others around the country with at least the same abilities/achievements. And, all vying for coverted spots in the best schools. What makes a child stand out in the pool of applicants is often not what people think. Schools work to challenge students by exposing them to people they would not normally be exposed to. Class composition is a huge focus. So, a child who participated in rodeo, had all the right grades and did meaningful, heartfelt volunteer work for a lengthy time showing commitment, stood out from the crowd and would be one of the first applicants to be accepted.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Wake County allows 2 maths per year on the block ? This wasn't possible just a few years ago - one math per year allowed.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
two maths per year (one each semester) has been allowed at our school for several years now (and this year too).

Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
The policy says all middle school students whom a SAS computer program determines to have at least a 70 percent probability of success will be placed in advanced math classes such as Algebra I. The policy would restrict teachers from using their judgment to hold back students the computer program has determined to be ready.
Man, I would have been screwed if a computer stuck me in algebra in 8th grade. I was one of those kids they debated putting in the class. Glad I went to school before computer took over lol.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 AM

182 posts, read 386,526 times
don't disagree but I would add that I think the SAT is more important than admissions representatives want to acknowledge

there are distinct patterns/margins in SAT scores among the state schools. can't be wild coincidence that they have the same differences between the average scores every year and all have rising average scores. they want bright kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yep, nothing surprises me anymore. This reminds me of what I learned at a former job.

Working at a local university a small portion of my job involved working with the admissions team. The majority of all applicants had the same academic profile - accelerated classes from 7th grade on, AG, leaders, volunteers, etc.. Many parents had orchestrated their education. Not that it is bad, but sometimes parents took too much control - per our experts. Parents who contacted me for assistance all thought their child was unique...was highly intelligent, hi achiever, better than most. What they failed to realize was that while their child was special in their hometown, school, grade, there were thousands of others around the country with at least the same abilities/achievements. And, all vying for coverted spots in the best schools. What makes a child stand out in the pool of applicants is often not what people think. Schools work to challenge students by exposing them to people they would not normally be exposed to. Class composition is a huge focus. So, a child who participated in rodeo, had all the right grades and did meaningful, heartfelt volunteer work for a lengthy time showing commitment, stood out from the crowd and would be one of the first applicants to be accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary