Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Thanks, tluv00 for saying what I've been thinking for the last two days.

I must say that I'm beginning to understand why others have left this Forum.

There seems to be a group of "regulars" that insist upon always finding the bad in anything good. Whether its others' comments or something they've heard in the news. Its almost like they enjoy finding the little bit of negative in everything.

I have been on the Forum for over a year now. I have learned so much from others, from their perceptions to their opinions to their likes and dislikes, to hearing about restaurants that I have never even heard of! Lately, I have learning NOTHING. I have heard complaining and whining and just LOOKING for the bad in EVERY SITUATION. I have received negative points for saying GOOD things, not that I'm sugar coating anything but just because I am HONEST.

Alot of the northerners want to know why some of the NC natives are not happy with them being here. Its simply those of you that constantly bad mouth how we live and what we do and our overcrowded schools and how you always seem to know better than we do. If you are so sure that your schools are so much better than ours, why are you here? If your schools were better, then HELP make ours better instead of just spouting negative comments.

If you are going to make NC your HOME, then help make it better instead of just telling us what is wrong with it.

Enjoy the warm weather...soon enough you'll be complaining that its too cold!

Enjoy the bugs...they are here for a reason!

Enjoy the traffic...at least you don't have to walk!

Enjoy the last little bit of GREEN grass that you have left!

Vicki
What is wrong with walking? Just curious (especially since the weather is nicer)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 04:54 PM

54 posts, read 217,004 times
Thanks MikeJaquish for reminding me of this song...
I seem to remember another line of the song:

Harken, Harken the music sounds afar
Harken, Harken the music sounds afar
Funiculi, funicula, funiculi ,funicula-a-a-a
Joy is everywhere,funiculi, funicula!

Does my memory serve me correctly?
If not, Cie La Vie. It was still good to be reminded of this joyful tune.

I've been here in Raleigh for almost three months and I'm delighted to be here!

Ell

Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
nyxmike...thanks for that laugh!!!

According to the WRAL news report at 6PM...the heat wave is getting ready to BREAK!!!

Vicki

Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Thanks, Jbognar & Autumngal. Good to know! I feel torn about what to do, though. Since I'm in Durham, we have no water restrictions & I could water the trees if I wish, but mostly I think it's better to let nature take its course rather than confuse the trees. Besides, the trees in question are on a steep slope & I'm afraid most of the water would wash down the drain. We may not have water restrictions in Durham, but that's no excuse to waste water IMO.
I have never watered our trees, and they always do just fine. We have a little slope on one side of the yard and that is usually the first place the grass will show signs of stress.....but now I think I could say, what grass,

Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Well I have something really positive to say. As some of you on this board knows, while still in CA, and writing on this forum, I could not wait to see my first Cardinal. Well you all heard about how excited I was to see my first cardinal and about how beautiful he was.

Now my beautiful pair of cardinals that have frolicked and watched over their two babies, have to realize the babies are growing up. Yesterday sitting in the kitchen eating lunch I was watching the birds at my feeder and lo and behold, one of the babies (who really isn't small anymore) is turning red!!! His beak is bright red, as his cone on his head, his tail and feet. I felt as proud of him as could be, and he was so calmly watching me watch him. I think he is used to me always outside watching his family.
That is my good news. Pretty spectacular if you are a bird watcher.

Liz

Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Well I have something really positive to say. As some of you on this board knows, while still in CA, and writing on this forum, I could not wait to see my first Cardinal. Well you all heard about how excited I was to see my first cardinal and about how beautiful he was.

Now my beautiful pair of cardinals that have frolicked and watched over their two babies, have to realize the babies are growing up. Yesterday sitting in the kitchen eating lunch I was watching the birds at my feeder and lo and behold, one of the babies (who really isn't small anymore) is turning red!!! His beak is bright red, as his cone on his head, his tail and feet. I felt as proud of him as could be, and he was so calmly watching me watch him. I think he is used to me always outside watching his family.

Liz
Thats sounds really cool!
I have not seen a blue jay in a long time. When people complain about bugs they forget the beautiful things that eat them and by removing their food source with pest control we are basically killing the birds or they go elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Thanks, Jbognar & Autumngal. Good to know! I feel torn about what to do, though. Since I'm in Durham, we have no water restrictions & I could water the trees if I wish, but mostly I think it's better to let nature take its course rather than confuse the trees. Besides, the trees in question are on a steep slope & I'm afraid most of the water would wash down the drain. We may not have water restrictions in Durham, but that's no excuse to waste water IMO.
If you think your tree is going to die, then by all means mulch around it and WATER IT! Grass can easily be re-seeded, but trees cannot....they take a generation to replace. Letting nature take its course isn't a good idea....trees die in nature all the time.

It's recommended that during very dry weather that you deep soak under the canopy of the tree once every two weeks.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
if you deep soak a tree, can you reverse the effects of a tree already loosing it's leaves from the drought? I have a few dogwoods and a VERY large tulip poplar that are already loosing yellow leaves. Does this mean it's going to "die" or is it going into a dormant stage? We don't need or want any actual DEAD trees in the yard as they are always a hazzard during bad weather.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:

Liz
Isn't it neat? My parents have had the same pair of cardinals (and possibly a few of their offspring) coming to their yard in FL for the past several years to build their nest. My mother is very protective of them, worrying as if they were her own children when a hawk also decided to build its nest and raise its chicks in their yard. They have managed to skillfully survive the hawks, and it was very neat to be able to see them all in action when I visited in May. Enjoy them, they are beautiful!

I am very excited because there are two HUGE pecan trees right outside my apartment building. I can't wait for some fresh pecans to cook with!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:

Liz
And Mom & Dad will do it again next year and you will see another generation, Congrats the cardinals have adopted you....welcome to NC,

I know how you feel. We have a doe and 2 fawns who adopted us, and we sit on our deck, and they come out of the woods like we are not even there. But a stranger on my deck, and they are no where to be found,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary