Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 AM

12 posts, read 65,128 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are in town for a few weeks for work here. We're staying in North Raleigh (Lynn and Glenwood/70). My wife wants me to take her to a nice/safe location where she can enjoy seeing the stars in the sky....so it would have to be away from city lights, strip malls, subdivisions etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I can drive out into the boonies, but I'd prefer a recommended location that is safe and easy to get to...preferably not too long a drive either.

Thanks all
Reg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,354 times
What do you consider "safe"? 99.9% of Raleigh and the surrounding areas are "safe". What are you mostly concerned about; bears, criminals, falling debris?

Mike

Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 AM

As I mentioned earlier, we're from out of town. So if you can recommend a location, that would be appreciated....before this thread goes off topic.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2009, 08:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
It is safe in my backyard here in Zebulon. A short drive out US 64 east to SR1737....

Nor crime, falling debris, bears, or too many criminals, or other abnormalities to speak of.

I think it is that "SAFE" word that implies you may see RALEIGH as a dump and we really have to search out a SAFE place. When being NEW in town, perhaps one should inquire as to

"Where is the best place we could take in the stars and comfortably enjoy a quiet evening out amongst the stars in the wonderful city of Raleigh."

Most people will not direct you into "danger will robinson" since many criminals are busy criminalizing and not on the city-data forum to set you up.

Wine or would you prefer coffee?

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 05-09-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
So to sum up: you want someplace "away from city lights, strip malls, subdivisions etc" - but not in the boonies.

FYI what you just described IS the booneis.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrege View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I are in town for a few weeks for work here. We're staying in North Raleigh (Lynn and Glenwood/70). My wife wants me to take her to a nice/safe location where she can enjoy seeing the stars in the sky....so it would have to be away from city lights, strip malls, subdivisions etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I can drive out into the boonies, but I'd prefer a recommended location that is safe and easy to get to...preferably not too long a drive either.

Thanks all
Reg
This area is very safe so I'm guessing the other posters' MEANT to say that.

I don't know why some people take offense to the slightest things!

I'd suggest maybe a State Park where you can get a good view of the sky and the stars. I wonder how much of the sky you can see from Lake Lynn (where is very close to you) or if the trees cover so much of that.

There is an observation deck at the airport, which is free but I'm not sure if it closes or just remains open at all times.

I have noticed that you can see much more sky in some areas than others. We have alot of trees. I actually had clients from Texas that said they felt claustrophobic here because of the trees covering the skiies! Interesting comment, huh?

Taking a drive through some of the more rural areas like Johnston County may give you a better view of the sky.

Of course, you could always head up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and stop at the observation areas...now THAT is a VIEW but it is also a 3 hour drive and you wanted something closer.

Sounds like a fun time!

Vicki

Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
It's a bit of a distance - maybe 30 minutes - but one option is to take your wife to the Maple View Dairy (http://www.mapleviewfarm.com/pages/countrystore.html - broken link) ice cream shop in rural Hillsborough. Plan to get there a little ahead of sunset (about 8:10 this time of year). Get your ice cream and stake out a couple of rockers on the front porch to watch the sun set over the fields (it's a very nice view) and stay long enough to watch the stars come out.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:58 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's a bit of a distance - maybe 30 minutes - but one option is to take your wife to the Maple View Dairy (http://www.mapleviewfarm.com/pages/countrystore.html - broken link) ice cream shop in rural Hillsborough. Plan to get there a little ahead of sunset (about 8:10 this time of year). Get your ice cream and stake out a couple of rockers on the front porch to watch the sun set over the fields (it's a very nice view) and stay long enough to watch the stars come out.
thanks for sharing, that looks like a really nice play to go, im going to have to visit sometime this summer.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks to VickiR and CHTransplant for legitimate suggestions. I'll check them out.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-10-2009 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Morehead Planetarium and local astronomy clubs use Jordan Lake. With luck your trip might coincide with one of those. Morehead Planetarium and Science Center :: Skywatching Sessions

If Jordan Lake is too far for you, I would go to one of the recreation areas at Falls Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary