Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM

5 posts, read 17,598 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Wake Forest, NC. I'm a longer distance runner...even if I'm slow as molasses and older than the hills. Anyway, I have heard Joyner Park is a good place to run, but 3 miles is just starting for me...

I was looking at the Falls Lake State Rec Area and it seemed to have some running trails. It also seems to close at 5 p.m. Does anyone run there? What is it like? How hard is it to get to from Wake Forest? Can you run there in the evening or early morning?

I also love trail running and I saw somewhere the Beaver Dam Trail might be a good one. Anybody been out that way for a run or hike? A long or short drive from, say, downtown Wake Forest?

Anybody have other routes to recommend? Place around Raleigh Durham that are particularly good for, say, a long Saturday run of 10 - 15 miles?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM

311 posts, read 887,919 times
A new greenway will officially open (hopefully very soon!) with about 8 miles of trail. It is the Upper Neuse Greenway - it begins at the Falls Dam on Falls of Neuse Road (the old canoe launch) and runs all the way to the soccer park on Perry Creek Rd, mostly following the Neuse River. It still has a bit of work before completion, but it is an AWESOME trail (paved, boardwalk). It is mostly flat, with a few climbs and beautiful scenery.

It is not in Wake Forest, but it is a quick drive (and one day it is supposed to be connected to the Wake Forest greenway system). You can also access the greenway through the Bedford & Falls River neighborhood.

Here is the map from the City of Raleigh:
http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PRe...ccerCenter.pdf

Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Jules, thanks so much! This will be the first place I check out.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
Not only that but an additional 20 miles should open in 2013 from Perry Creek all the way to the Johnston county line.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Jules, is any of the trail open yet? It looks like all future on your attached map. Thanks for sending this...... my head must be in bottom mud of Falls Lake as I was not aware of this Green way project! I got to get out more!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
You could go around joyner (3 miles) and then head into downtown wake forest, go around the seminary, then you can follow 1A and return, and you would probably end up going about 10 miles.

I have friends that mix up that jog regularly. Sometimes they do joyner, then run the 5k loop from the turkey trot run (in and around downtown wake forest), and end it there, but it all depends on the day!

leigh

Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Excellent stuff to know...having a variety of routes is very good when you're out so often.

I still wonder about running IN Falls State Rec Area. I drove in there on my scouting visit preparing for our move and it looked like a great place...but then it closes early. Maybe a weekend running spot?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Jules, is any of the trail open yet? It looks like all future on your attached map. Thanks for sending this...... my head must be in bottom mud of Falls Lake as I was not aware of this Green way project! I got to get out more!
It isn't officially open, but let's say that it is getting A LOT of use. There is no pavement under the New Falls of Neuse bridge (do not go when it has recently rained, it is pure mud) and one bridge span is about 60% complete (near the Bedfordtown Dr access point). We usually park at the canoe launch (near the dam) and ride our bikes to the Bedfordtown access and then take some neighborhood streets until we connect back to the other side (I think off Grassy Creek, concrete sidewalk). We also love the Abbotts Creek trail on Falls River Ave, some sweet boardwalks, but still quite a bit of work needed for completion. I've only been as far as the Capital Blvd bridge (still needs pavement under it) but the husband has ridden all the way to the soccer park (mostly paved). We love how it connects the neighborhoods, the river & the Landfill Park.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcoffee View Post
Excellent stuff to know...having a variety of routes is very good when you're out so often.

I still wonder about running IN Falls State Rec Area. I drove in there on my scouting visit preparing for our move and it looked like a great place...but then it closes early. Maybe a weekend running spot?
I'm sorry I forgot to address your question about the Falls State Rec Area - I am not as familiar with trail running in the area. We do some mountain biking at Beaver Dam & New Light and I know there are a fair share of hikers/runners around that area (hours of operation/cost vary with the seasons). Another long distance trail running spot is Umstead Park. It is about 25 minutes from Wake Forest, near the RDU airport.

Another future park on Falls Lake is Forest Ridge Park (Forest Ridge Park - The Official City of Raleigh Portal). I'm only generally familiar with its plans for mountain bike trails. It is technically Raleigh, but it is right next to Wake Forest off old 98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary