Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,161 times

Advertisements

OUCH! For every drop of water you use, they consider that it went out your sewer and you are indeed double charged. The second meter for irrigation does not have the sewer charge so it should help if you are watering. I hate that system! I think it's totally wrong to double charge people on an assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 04:04 PM

134 posts, read 410,523 times
Wake Forest rates are twice that of Raleigh. So if you're in Wake Forest, and watering your garden quite a bit, your bill is probably correct.

--JC

Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I still don't think that can be accurate just for watering your garden. I watered my garden "quite a bit" in Cary last month and my Town of Cary bill was $122.00, which I thought was high (that includes other stuff besides just water/sewer). Once I saw the bill I said "forget it! Not worth it!".

Anyway, I'm not watering my landscaping anymore because it's pointless in this type of drought without spending hundreds of dollars each month. Plus, everyone else's yard and plants look brown and crunchy too, so I'm just not going to worry about it.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,666 times
wow...I would have fainted but would have yelled if anyone used water to splash on me...lol that's crazy...I had 3 estimates for a sprinkler system, all 3 suggested I get a separate meter, which I was quoted $1,000.00 just for a meter. I am not in city limits (not yet) and run off a community well/sewer...so I am not sure if I should do a separate meter or even do a sprinkler system...I think if we have a dry season, we have a dry season...I agree with other posters...you can't worry about it...if everything is brown, its brown...not what I am used to but, will just have to deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2u View Post
I just got a water bill fro $900.00! The city of Raleigh said that it might help if I have a second water meter installed. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it save a lot of money?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I have a listing that is on an acre and my sellers had their irrigation system set to water every other day and their bill was only $150 in Youngsville.

I'd look for a leak, as well.

And people think we are crazy for paying $1 for a bottle of water! That stuff is turning into gold!

Vicki

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
I just had an issue with Raleigh for completely bollixing up my account after installing a new electronic meter.

If this is way beyond normal, appeal it. The water billing department is friendly but has major issues. My landlord says their account has been a disaster too after the conversion to meters that can be remotely read from a truck.

Do not accept this as valid until you are sure. Turn off all water and see if the meter keeps turning.

If you can prove a leak occurred by repair bills, the bill can be adjusted unless it was an internal thing like a toilet and the water went into the sewer.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,206 times
WOW even with a leak that would be high. My neighbor had a leak and her bill was $280 which she was flipping out over. That is here in Holly Springs where the water is more expensive. I am getting ready to put an irrigation system in right now and here the water meter is $550. plus and additional $200 for the clock part. So $750. For a bill that high you would have to have a leak that was pouring water out pretty significantly. If you are in new construction I would make sure that your builder didn't tie your lines into a neighbors. That happend in the last subdivision we lived in......what a mess!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
With water expensive and probably going up, I can't see wasting it to grow grass which you then need to cut.

If I owned a home, I'd use astroturf instead.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM

35 posts, read 124,836 times
Default Spoke with builder

I just spoke with the GC for my builder. He is contacted the acct to see what the water bills were before we closed. But it would seem to me that if they were high then, that someone would have already checked for a leak. How do I go about turning off the water to see if the meter is still running? And if the water is turned off, would the "leak" still be "leaking"?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:37 AM

560 posts, read 2,848,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2u View Post
I just spoke with the GC for my builder. He is contacted the acct to see what the water bills were before we closed. But it would seem to me that if they were high then, that someone would have already checked for a leak. How do I go about turning off the water to see if the meter is still running? And if the water is turned off, would the "leak" still be "leaking"?
If the main is still on and all of the faucets and toilets are off then you could see if there is a leak in between the main and any of the sinks, toilets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary