Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rolesville versus Holly Springs
Rolesville is better 7 70.00%
Holly Springs is better 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

My Dh works off the 40 (Chapel Hill Rd and Trinity) We looked in Wake Forest and did comparison driving between there and Holly Springs during various times to see what the commute would be like. Holly Springs came in way ahead of WF for us. His commute from WF would have been 45-50 minutes and in HS 20-30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,668 times
Hmm. I picked Rolesville also. It still has that small town vibe going on yet it is still relatively close to the daily neccesities i.e. Target, Harris Teeter, and major shopping is down the road a bit it Wake Forest or 540/U.S. 1 merge. Really are some nice neighborhoods popping up also. Commuting to RTP is not bad. I have done it in as little as 25 minutes. Holly Springs is nice too, just a little to close to Shearon Harris for me.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 PM

28 posts, read 87,844 times
This is great to know!!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,967 times
Default I'm familiar with both areas.

I work in RTP (IBM), and currently live in Holly Springs (south side - Somerset Farm), but am considering moving to the Rolesville area (Dansforth subdivision). I don't know exactly where you will be working in RTP, but here's my experience...

Commute
Holly Springs - I use NC-55 up to RTP. It's shorter distance than US-1/I-40, but about the same commute time: 35 min regular, 50-60 min rush hour. I typically go into work around 9:30, and by then most of the traffic is gone.
By the end of 2006, NC-55 construction will be complete and will be 4 lanes all the way to RTP. This should shorten the commute to about 45 min during rush hour.
By 2012, I-540 should be complete (as a toll road), shortening the commute to around 20 minutes.
Rolesville - I timed it from Dansforth, and it's around 25 minutes currently. I expect this to get worse over time, since there are no major road projects planned in this area (US-1 is supposed to become an 8-lane limited access freeway between I-540 and Wake Forest, but construction isn't even scheduled yet).

Quality of life
(1) I tend to prefer Holly Springs over Rolesville/Wake Forest. I like the small town feel of Holly Springs. And, in general, homes and businesses are newer around here since it has grown from a few hundred people in 1990 to around 20,000 now.
(2) Holly Springs has a more comprehensive greenway plan than Wake Forest.
(3) I expect home prices to increase in Holly Springs more than Rolesville because Novartis is opening up a biopharm plant in Holly Springs in the next 2 years, bringing alot of high paying jobs to the immediate area, and it will be very convenient to RTP once I-540 is build.
On the other hand...
(4) They're putting a huge landfill in the north part of Holly Springs.
(5) Sharon Harris nuclear power plant 5 miles west of Holly Springs. Doesn't bother me, and was partially why Novartis decided to build their plant here (good power supply). But depends on your view of nuclear power.

But I may be partial to Holly Springs, since I actually live here. So that this info with a grain of salt.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 29,564 times
Default Historic Wake Forest

I love the history of Wake Forest. Heritage (WF) is a nice community, but I am looking for more value. Orleans Homebuilders has a townhouse community right next to Heritage called The Mews at Legacy Greene that offers a first floor master. I have looked off Capital Blvd by Wake Forest, but it is to 'Commercial' and lots of traffic right near the house.
I visited Holly Springs too and liked all the cul-de-sacs in The Woodlands at Oak Hall.
So far, I'm thinking Wake Forest.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 AM

Happy new Year!!! Has the 540 opened yet? Any information to share??

Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 20,795 times
rolesville is north and holly springs is south-west wake county. rolesville is less congested than holly springs that gives it a more opened feeling. not sure how long this will last as it is located in the fastest growing area in wake county..the north-east. oh yeah i was a police officer there in the mid 90's

Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Moved to Rolesville and we are loving the area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary