Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM

54 posts, read 347,606 times

Advertisements

My dogs are so used to running and hiking through the woods at my horse barn here and I know they're going to miss that once I get down to NC next week. Are there any good parks, forests, etc... where you can take your dogs for a long walk? I'd love to find something close to Willow Spring - just south of Fuquay. I'm sure we'll be doing alot of road walking until I find some spots!

Thanks!

Paula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 PM

115 posts, read 464,397 times
Raven Rock State park has nice trails, can't remember exactly how far it was, but i really don't think it was much more than a 15 minute drive. Just head south on 401.

Division of Parks and Recreation--Raven Rock State Park, Things to do (http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/raro/do.html - broken link)

Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,187 times
Raven Rock is a good suggestion it is near Lillington. There is also the carroll howard johnson educational park off of Wagstaff road in Fuquay. It's a bunch of nice winding shaded trails and streams. I very rarely ever see anyone else there when we take our dogs. We also go to Harris Lake in Holly Springs by the nuke plant. They have a gorgeous park and lots of trails there. We also go to Bass Lake Park in Holly Springs on Bass Lake Road. That's just a lake but there is a path you can walk around. We're in FV and all these places are within a 15 minute drive from us.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 AM

Wow! So many places close by! This is great! I've heard of Raven Rock as far as the horse trails. I assume they have hiking trails as well then?

Can't wait to check them all out. Thanks so much!

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
Raven Rock is a good suggestion it is near Lillington. There is also the carroll howard johnson educational park off of Wagstaff road in Fuquay. It's a bunch of nice winding shaded trails and streams. I very rarely ever see anyone else there when we take our dogs. We also go to Harris Lake in Holly Springs by the nuke plant. They have a gorgeous park and lots of trails there. We also go to Bass Lake Park in Holly Springs on Bass Lake Road. That's just a lake but there is a path you can walk around. We're in FV and all these places are within a 15 minute drive from us.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 AM

579 posts, read 2,864,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey Crew View Post
I've heard of Raven Rock as far as the horse trails. I assume they have hiking trails as well then?
Paula
Yes, they have many trails. The one we walked was pretty much downhill all the way to the river edge. Going back up wasn't as fun! Just be careful for off leash since there are leash laws everywhere and in some areas, your dogs could end up on a street and get hit.

On that note, there are also 2 off leash dog parks in the area. There is one in Cary that charges a yearly fee to join and one in N Raleigh at Millbrook exchange park. Those are also great options for off leash time. They are a little bit of a drive from FV, though. I can be at Millbrook in about 35-40 minutes or the one in Cary in under 30 minutes. The drive to N Raleigh is really not that bad and totally worth for it some free off leash play time in a controlled environment.

Another good idea would be to start a playgroup for dog lovers in the FV area. People could rotate their homes if they have a fenced in yard and the doggies can get their playtime in.

HTH!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
The other that comes to mind as far as being somewhat easy to get to from Willow Springs is the park at Harris Lake (next to the Nuclear plant). This area can be bad for small ticks during summer, but is one of my favorite places to hike in the cooler months.

I think my favorite overall place to hike in Wake county is still Umstead State Park though (the Cary side).

Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 PM

A playgroup is a great idea. We do agility and have lots of agility equipment in the yard. The home we're moving to has 1-1/2 acres, mostly fenced so it would be perfect for playgroups or anyone who wants to play and learn the agility equipment

Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Yes, they have many trails. The one we walked was pretty much downhill all the way to the river edge. Going back up wasn't as fun! Just be careful for off leash since there are leash laws everywhere and in some areas, your dogs could end up on a street and get hit.

On that note, there are also 2 off leash dog parks in the area. There is one in Cary that charges a yearly fee to join and one in N Raleigh at Millbrook exchange park. Those are also great options for off leash time. They are a little bit of a drive from FV, though. I can be at Millbrook in about 35-40 minutes or the one in Cary in under 30 minutes. The drive to N Raleigh is really not that bad and totally worth for it some free off leash play time in a controlled environment.

Another good idea would be to start a playgroup for dog lovers in the FV area. People could rotate their homes if they have a fenced in yard and the doggies can get their playtime in.

HTH!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:

HTH!
You forgot Oakwood in Raleigh as well...close then Milbrook I think for all of you (as it's IBL). Wake Forest just opened and I know there are plans for more in Raleigh as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary