Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times

Advertisements

You visit any truly world class city and they will have a world class public transportation system consisting of a combination of rail and buses. Transportation by car is a very inefficient means of getting large groups of people from point A to point B. We cannot pave our way out of congestion. It has never been done successfully.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
You visit any truly world class city and they will have a world class public transportation system consisting of a combination of rail and buses. Transportation by car is a very inefficient means of getting large groups of people from point A to point B. We cannot pave our way out of congestion. It has never been done successfully.

Mike

As much as I enjoy living in the Triangle, and that is a great deal, whoever said we are, or could claim to be, a "world class city?"

Maybe we should just call ourselves a "world class region of small towns," proclaim victory, and focus on fixing the pizza situation.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
As much as I enjoy living in the Triangle, and that is a great deal, whoever said we are, or could claim to be, a "world class city?"

Maybe we should just call ourselves a "world class region of small towns," proclaim victory, and focus on fixing the pizza situation.
I wasn't saying that we are a "world class city", but we should definitely strive to be! We have the talent to make it happen.

Regarding the pizza situation, have you not been to Franks? Best pizza in town and made by a couple of New Yorkers for the past 30+ years.

Michael

Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM

107 posts, read 143,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post

Mike

We also cannot light rail ourselves out of SUV's and Minivans. Trying to shove a square peg into a round hole will not make us a world class city. We are what we are and we aren't that.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:

Nothing wrong with dreaming big. Besides we already have Salvio's for pizza

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Charlotte definitely strives to be a world-class city, and by golly, it is a lot closer to that designation today than it was just a decade ago.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
We also cannot light rail ourselves out of SUV's and Minivans. Trying to shove a square peg into a round hole will not make us a world class city. We are what we are and we aren't that.

So where a region of absolutely homogenous folks that all think and behave the same? Now I'm really confused, because I always thought that everyone was an individual that had their own wants and needs. Boy, was I wrong!

You are setting up a false dichotomy. Building light rail does not mean that every person in the Triangle will have to take light rail. It means those that prefer to use rail will, and those that want to keep driving for whatever reason will as well. Even right now, with roads, not everyone takes a car to work. Some walk, a lot of people bike, and even more take the bus. Saying that light rail will eliminate the ability of folks to drive is a ridiculous scare tactic.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:

Umm, maybe because we are a wold class city. According to the Globalization and World Cities Research Network, we are a "High Sufficiency" ranking, along with Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, or The Hague. Charlotte, as expected, is a Gamma + city.

This is why it is great to have forward thinking politicians and leaders, so we develop an RTP, instead of endless strip malls or something that exciting.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Building light rail does not mean that every person in the Triangle will have to take light rail. It means those that prefer to use rail will, and those that want to keep driving for whatever reason will as well.
This was really true in Dallas when I lived there a few years ago. There was a light rail stop literally in front of the building I worked in, but I lived too far north of the furthest stop to make it worth my while to ride it. I was already more then half way to work by the time I reached that station and it would have taken me longer to park in the park-n-ride lot at the station, wait for the next train and ride it then it would have to keep on going in my SUV to work.

I definitely would have considered it had I lived a little closer to the ring of plenty but I decided that my time was too valuable. C'est la vie.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Umm, maybe because we are a wold class city. According to the Globalization and World Cities Research Network, we are a "High Sufficiency" ranking, along with Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, or The Hague. Charlotte, as expected, is a Gamma + city.

This is why it is great to have forward thinking politicians and leaders, so we develop an RTP, instead of endless strip malls or something that exciting.
The Hague.
500,000+ population. 410,000 for Raleigh
5800+ residents per square kilometer, 200+% vs. Raleigh's 2800/square mile.
The center of a conurbation of 7,000,000 residents vs. Raleigh's status as the premier metropolis in a CSA of about 1.7 million.

Las Vegas
583,000+
4298/square mile
1.95 million metro area
No light rail, with 150%+/- density of Raleigh.

Salt Lake City
186,000 in the city. 2.234 million in the urban area
TRAX, State-operated accolade-winning light rail, funded by the Feds and property taxes and mostly sales taxes with expansion spurred by Winter Olympics.
1666/square mile
2.234 million population in the metro area
Passenger fare revenue provides about 13--14% of funding.

CAFR/2010 I'll leave this to the accountants.

But, TRAX shows the possible value of regional planning, a la discussion of running commuter rail to Oxford, Sanford, Lillington, Clayton, Creedmore, Rocky Mount, to cover 1600 square miles while population density and land acquisition costs are still much lower than Raleigh's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary